GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAD Challanges"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/09/08 at 21:15
Regular
Even though I didnt win, I still enjoyed the treasure hunt. You could see how much work they put into it. So lets think of some more ideas that we could do on here as a GAD challenge.

How about a murder mystery? ;)
Thu 04/09/08 at 09:34
"possibly impossible"
I've no doubt you can pull it off. I have some doubt that the staffies will give you two GADs ;) (not that I don't think that much effort deserves a couple of GADs).

Would certaininly be an interesting experiment.
Thu 04/09/08 at 08:54
Regular
The post below has been heavily edited, but I'm satisfied with it now - so this is a closing post.

If you like the idea of it, please say so and get some encouragement for this going amongst yourselves and the staffies. If you have no faith that I can pull it off, fair enough!
Thu 04/09/08 at 05:38
Regular
> Nin wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> How about a murder mystery? ;)
>
> I'd love it but it's not possible.

Worked it out! It's possible.

Basically what happens is this: The story is set up, and fictional characters are introduced. Say, about seven characters, and one victim. The seven characters alive are obviously all suspects.

However this is the tricky part - Seven new users are created, one for each character. The story is well, they're on da internet and that's the only way you can talk to them sorry, so there's no body language, you have to analyse what's in their posts. But - you can ask them anything, individually, and they'll reply to you. In character, obviously.

At the end, everyone emails the person in charge with one word - the name of the character they think did it. This allows you to speedily email and avoids anyone trying to cheat and just say different names in the hope they'll get it right. Once you've sent the first email quickly, you then have to write a second email, explaining why you think they did it. If these two emails are not received then you cannot win. To win - you first have to get the answer right, obviously, but then you have to explain yourself. If your explanation is wrong, then you do not win. The winner needs not only to get the person right, but also their reasons for doing so.

So therefore - you guess quickly to get the right person. The first email received that has the right answer will be put on the podium as it were, and will be held there until their explanation arrives. If their explanation is wrong, then the next person with the correct character identified will be selected, and their explanation will be marked too. You need both to win, but it's basically like a complicated buzzer. If nobody has the right explanation, then, the murderer goes free, but the person with the -closest- will be awarded. If the explanation is found, a little 'reward' post will be made by the murderer.

The biggest problems, but not impossibilities, are 1) writing the plot. I have confidence that this can be done but I'm not telling you my reasons because of what I've said at the end of this.

2) The 'actors' in charge of the characters/users. Because each character is going to need a lot of detail, this has to either be done individually, or worked on with someone who is willing to put the effort in. IF it's worked in pairs, or more, then these people must be in constant contact with each other because there will obviously be questions asked that aren't entirely prepared for, and will have to rely on the actors understanding of the character. These answers could also be dismissed as red herrings, but again, it will be difficult, but not impossible. It's establishing character to begin with, I think, and unfortunately that will require both people to understand them perfectly and know their entire history, which will be very, very difficult.

3) The time scale, and the availability of whoever's going to do it. Personally - I would do it by say if you had seven characters, then it will be set over fifteen days. Each character will be available for interview for a certain period of two days each. Say, if it started on Monday, then on Monday you can talk to character number one, and talk to them about anything you want, but they will be available from say, 3pm-5pm, or even only an hour. They will not be available until the next Monday, as characters 2-7 will be taking their turn each day till then, and so on. This also helps whoever is acting to keep character, as well as giving you chance to prepare. The time scale is interesting. I would do the first week as if you were talking to them directly one after each other, without them being able to talk to each other at all. The murder will just have been discovered. Naturally, the second week will be different. Then, on the fifteenth day (and this may very well be lunacy), every character will be available for a short time period.

Also - I will do the whole thing for two GADs. I'd say one, but I could happily write posts naturally and win something, this is bigger, and if it's just one GAD it feels like far too much work to do it. Two GADs is more appealing and I'll not only put more of an effort in, I'd make every effort I can to make it excellent. I won't want them until it's finished and a winner has been declared. Like I said above, I'm confident that the plot can be done and I can't tell you how I would do it because that's a clue in itself and now I've offered to do it I can't give anything away. I'm also confident I'm pretty damn good at acting, and what's more, I seriously enjoy everything involved in doing this.

That is ma offer if u aint liking it do it urself - if da staffies agree ill start work right away lol
Wed 03/09/08 at 14:22
Regular
Snakes and ladders is in the public domain right?

How about a chess tournement or checkers?
Wed 03/09/08 at 12:45
Regular
"eat toast!"
Or we could have a guess at what i'm trying to say:

eat lead fother mucker!

can you guess what i'm trying to say?
Wed 03/09/08 at 10:25
Regular
"THFC"
I like the idea of a ranomd flash game or some game on the internet and highest score wins!

It i salways good when a challenge is about, everyone gets involved (well a few people do)
Wed 03/09/08 at 09:49
Regular
"Hello?"
Yea the treasure hunt was quite fun, more of the same please :D
Wasn't around for the bingo thingy, how did that work?
Tue 02/09/08 at 22:27
Regular
Nin wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> How about a murder mystery? ;)
>
> I'd love it but it's not possible.

You..

..ashgnsahgnsa

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT ahghg
Tue 02/09/08 at 22:04
Regular
"eat toast!"
could do with an art contest. Maybe a poem contest or something.
Tue 02/09/08 at 21:26
Regular
"Mooching around"
Nin wrote:
> Game arcade!
>
> 1 flash game a week.

This could actually be a good idea, but I reckon the staffies will want to make it once a month, and if it does well increase to once a week. Finally, they'll realise they've over done it and scrap the idea altogether :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.