GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMES NEED MORE IDEAS!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/12/00 at 19:59
Regular
IS it just myself or are all the latest games around just copies of others with the same ideas and just add-on packs.

Now why is this? there is so many ideas out there for development! such as, well just look at some of the game ideas in the forum they all sound better than some that are coming out. Such as my space game 'Black Hole'. Now there must be a reason why game companies don't make more games with different ideas. I think it is becasue they are scared in case they do not suceed with it, and they stick with the ideas that create money.

And there is your answer MONEY they no longer care about what the gamers want, they only want the cash. I think in the future they will need to experiment because people will simply get bored with the same old stuff.
Fri 08/12/00 at 11:23
I feel that the topic of originality is a difficult while you need new games and ideas which can help drive the industry forward you also need to have games with sequels. MGS left people waiting for a sequel the moment they beat liquid Snake and escaped with Meryl/Octagan. FIFA, ISS, GT all need new charaters, teams and cars but not much else and it will still be a brilliant game.

However Innovation such as Sacrifice, and Black and White etc is essential also. The important thing is getting a good balance between the two that can really help a console.

Also consider sequels that are original. The Final Fantasy genre alwasy tries to keep the game fresh. So there are three angles to look at it from. No one is any better than the other. They are all critical to the success of a format and help the industry in there own way.

So when people complain that FIFA is not original I laugh as I know that most people want there favourite games to be imporved with extra bells and whistles on them.
Thu 07/12/00 at 14:18
Regular
"not dead"
squall leonhart wrote:
> §Ù¢â thank goodness someone understands me!

That's okay. Some of the other regulars on this forum aren't too welcoming from any comments from people they don't know. If you want to post anything, go ahead, if it's worth replying to, then I will.
Thu 07/12/00 at 14:11
§Ù¢â thank goodness someone understands me!
Thu 07/12/00 at 13:42
"High polygon count"
> So you're not going to get it on the PS2? Surley that will be
> quite some step up from the previous PSX version? Or have they
> just put out a similar game to 2001 on the PSX, and are working on
> something better for the PS2 to be released at a later date?

The stats and squads are more up to date, and yes, it looks a lot better. But the game is essentially the same, and - dare I say it - pretty graphics alone don't make a game any better.

But having said that, I will be buying GT3...

Who said 'hypocrite'? :-)
Thu 07/12/00 at 13:29
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
steer clear of the fifa series then
Thu 07/12/00 at 13:22
Regular
"not dead"
humpo wrote:
> what differences do u want in fifa 2001 its a football game?

Personally, I want it to look more like football. I want it to work better in terms of physics. I don't want the goal keeper to pull off impossible saves, yet I don't want to have games that end with scores like 12-7. I want players to have off days, where they can't hit a barn door. I want the other side of that coin too, some times I want one of my players to play a blinder!
If it is to be more realistic you'll be able to play poorly, yet still scrape a win, or play like Gods, yet still get beaten.
Basically I want the unpredicability of real football incorporated into a game, without making it too frustrating.
Thu 07/12/00 at 13:14
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
what differences do u want in fifa 2001 its a football game maybe they should give all the players 1 leg and pink kits...the only real reason i think ea updates its games every year is

A)very minor tweaks in gameplay
b)updated stats

cos we all know how annoying it is to play a game where none of the players in the team actually play for them..

maybe they should do as codemasters did for lma manager . release a team updates disk on the cover of the official ps2 mag thats what i call customer care.

but they wont do that cos they mat aswell put their wallets in the bin
Thu 07/12/00 at 12:59
Regular
"not dead"
wookiee_monster wrote:

> I enjoy the FIFA games, but at the moment I refuse to buy 2001
> because it simply isn't different enough.

So you're not going to get it on the PS2? Surley that will be quite some step up from the previous PSX version? Or have they just put out a similar game to 2001 on the PSX, and are working on something better for the PS2 to be released at a later date?
Thu 07/12/00 at 12:51
"High polygon count"
> The games only upgraded because of player
> transfers, the game gives you the option to do this for yourself,
> so theres no real reason.

Not so bad updating squads etc. on a PC, but have you ever tried it using a console joypad?! Nightmare!

I enjoy the FIFA games, but at the moment I refuse to buy 2001 because it simply isn't different enough.
Thu 07/12/00 at 12:23
Regular
"not dead"
I don't think that they actually expect you to buy every version that comes out though. They probably just want to have the best version available to new users of the system. There's quite a difference between FIFA 97 and 2001, so it might be worth getting a newer version every 3 or 4 years, rather than every year. Wasn't there 2 FIFA games released on the N64 within 6 months or something, RTTWC and WC98?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.