GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Announcement?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/09/06 at 17:37
Regular
Right, well, I have had mixed emotions about the whole Wii launch announcement as I am sure we all have.

I feel £179 with a game is a good price. I like the additional features, involving pictures and the whole channel system and I feel the price of the game are solid. I am glad the system is launching before Christmas.

Aside from that I am left bewildered by many of what was, and in particular, what wasn’t revealed. I am extremely angry about Nintendo’s retarded use of the controller. Bundling that and the analogue nunchuck in with the system is good but selling them separately for ridiculous prices is a major blow. The controller is the selling point of the system, the big “thing” that’ll sell it to the masses… yet not at that price. I can understand that 2% of the Wii titles do not use the nunchuck but why not offer an option to buy them separately or together? With the together option being at a reduce price?

Then there was the launch line up. Almost nothing was confirmed, yes Wii Sports and Zelda, probably Red Steel, Tony Hawks and Rayman… but there was not definite confirmation of any of this. I mean if Nintendo’s first party line up consists of Wii Sports and Zelda then I am disappointed. Granted Zelda is a killer app but what about regulation racers like Excitetruck? Or a decent alternative to those gamers that don’t live and breath Hyrule? Of course there is always Wii Play? A compilation of mini-games that looks set to come free with the controller to make it remotely worthwhile buying.

To be honest it looks like Ubi-soft are actually launching the system. The virtual console could help but again there is no confirmed list of titles here either. It makes me worry. Granted Zelda is always a good reason to buy a console but I am struggling for a follow up choice? Super Monkey Ball or Rayman? Woo!

Despite the criticism I anticipate the machine and am already scouring the streets for a good place to pre-order. I just wonder if Nintendo really needed to make such a huge fanfare over what wasn’t very much at all.
Sun 17/09/06 at 17:37
Regular
Right, well, I have had mixed emotions about the whole Wii launch announcement as I am sure we all have.

I feel £179 with a game is a good price. I like the additional features, involving pictures and the whole channel system and I feel the price of the game are solid. I am glad the system is launching before Christmas.

Aside from that I am left bewildered by many of what was, and in particular, what wasn’t revealed. I am extremely angry about Nintendo’s retarded use of the controller. Bundling that and the analogue nunchuck in with the system is good but selling them separately for ridiculous prices is a major blow. The controller is the selling point of the system, the big “thing” that’ll sell it to the masses… yet not at that price. I can understand that 2% of the Wii titles do not use the nunchuck but why not offer an option to buy them separately or together? With the together option being at a reduce price?

Then there was the launch line up. Almost nothing was confirmed, yes Wii Sports and Zelda, probably Red Steel, Tony Hawks and Rayman… but there was not definite confirmation of any of this. I mean if Nintendo’s first party line up consists of Wii Sports and Zelda then I am disappointed. Granted Zelda is a killer app but what about regulation racers like Excitetruck? Or a decent alternative to those gamers that don’t live and breath Hyrule? Of course there is always Wii Play? A compilation of mini-games that looks set to come free with the controller to make it remotely worthwhile buying.

To be honest it looks like Ubi-soft are actually launching the system. The virtual console could help but again there is no confirmed list of titles here either. It makes me worry. Granted Zelda is always a good reason to buy a console but I am struggling for a follow up choice? Super Monkey Ball or Rayman? Woo!

Despite the criticism I anticipate the machine and am already scouring the streets for a good place to pre-order. I just wonder if Nintendo really needed to make such a huge fanfare over what wasn’t very much at all.
Sun 17/09/06 at 17:49
Regular
I'd be surprised if we actually need to pre-order a Wii. I was hoping to just walk into GAME and buy one on release date.
Sun 17/09/06 at 18:11
Regular
"lets go back"
I dont wantone anymore. The games look rubbish. They just look like free internet flash games only you get to wave a gay stick about thet costs £45.
Sun 17/09/06 at 18:40
"possibly impossible"
Um, which games exactly look like 'internet flash games'? Have you been looking at the wrong site perhaps?
Sun 17/09/06 at 20:58
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Okay, let's be honest about the software.

People normally buy about 3 titles on launch day - maybe less. I think the GameCube attachment rate was, what(?), 1.8 games per system? This means that people will have Wii Sports, Zelda and maybe Metroid... Red Steel should sell a few, but other than that (and people stupid enough to buy licensed games) we wouldn't want much more.

The price is fine. Under £200 for the system is fair going for A - what it does, B - todays inflated market and C - most households to afford, if they want one.

I completely agree with the controller statement. £45 for a full control set is insane. I don't care if some games don't use the second bit, they shouldn't be selling for more than £30, maybe £35 for the two - at a push.

Still, we'll see how things go. The Mii effort, Weather Channels and such will be a very big draw for people, but the fact that the Wii can't play DVDs (When Nintendo admited DVD players sell for nothing - so they've got to be cheap to make) is daft. It's small, looks good and the Wii remote is PERFECT for DVD playback. DVD is common place and it'd have been another big factor in people buying one. Especially for a playroom, or for under a TV.

It'll be interesting to see what incentives Nintendo offer with regards to points. Maybe they'll offer the points through the Stars Catalogue - that needs a kick up the ass - or whether we'll get a few points for buying a first party title. They wouldn't need to, because first-party games will sell well, anyway - but it'd be nice. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THE SYSTEM IS £30 MORE THAN IT SHOULD BE !!!!111112ONETWELVE
Sun 17/09/06 at 22:43
Regular
I wanted different colours...
Sun 17/09/06 at 23:32
Regular
Am I the only one who thinks the games look a a bit...sh*t?

I know they've said all along that the Wii won't be about tech specs and graphics, but at the moment it's looking like a Gamecube with a funky controller. The graphics are horrible and the games don't look that great either.

Mario in Space? meh! What happened to the Mushroom Kingdom? That game looks even s**tupider than that f**king supersoaker they gave him in Sunshine.

Zelda looks awesome, but everything else? I'm really not convinced, though show me a Pilotwings game that uses the controller and I might jus**t change my mind.

I've got a feeling though that the whole new s**tyle of control thing will get old quite quickly, and then you'll realise your arms are really f**king aching and you'll go back to the old school controllers.
Mon 18/09/06 at 01:29
Regular
You don't have to hold the controller out in front of you tilt.

And Mario Galaxy looks like the best Wii game out of them all! Seriously, watch the videos, it looks amazing!
Mon 18/09/06 at 08:47
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
By the by, is there any reason why all of Lucas Arts' point and click adventures couldn't be on Virtual Console?

Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max
Grim Fandango
The Dig
(that bike one)
Monkey 1, 2, 3, and Escape Island thingy.

I reckon they'd be a hit with the oldies.
Mon 18/09/06 at 13:06
Regular
That would be superb and would sell the console to me on Monkey Island alone. Though I doubt Lucas Arts would go for it, they don't seem like they're exactly champing at the bit to support Nintendo anymore.

One thing, will the Virtual console games support online play like the Xbox Arcade games do?

Would be very nice playing some classic SNES and N64 games over the net, without having to go the way of dodgy emulators.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.