GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Announcement?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/09/06 at 17:37
Regular
Right, well, I have had mixed emotions about the whole Wii launch announcement as I am sure we all have.

I feel £179 with a game is a good price. I like the additional features, involving pictures and the whole channel system and I feel the price of the game are solid. I am glad the system is launching before Christmas.

Aside from that I am left bewildered by many of what was, and in particular, what wasn’t revealed. I am extremely angry about Nintendo’s retarded use of the controller. Bundling that and the analogue nunchuck in with the system is good but selling them separately for ridiculous prices is a major blow. The controller is the selling point of the system, the big “thing” that’ll sell it to the masses… yet not at that price. I can understand that 2% of the Wii titles do not use the nunchuck but why not offer an option to buy them separately or together? With the together option being at a reduce price?

Then there was the launch line up. Almost nothing was confirmed, yes Wii Sports and Zelda, probably Red Steel, Tony Hawks and Rayman… but there was not definite confirmation of any of this. I mean if Nintendo’s first party line up consists of Wii Sports and Zelda then I am disappointed. Granted Zelda is a killer app but what about regulation racers like Excitetruck? Or a decent alternative to those gamers that don’t live and breath Hyrule? Of course there is always Wii Play? A compilation of mini-games that looks set to come free with the controller to make it remotely worthwhile buying.

To be honest it looks like Ubi-soft are actually launching the system. The virtual console could help but again there is no confirmed list of titles here either. It makes me worry. Granted Zelda is always a good reason to buy a console but I am struggling for a follow up choice? Super Monkey Ball or Rayman? Woo!

Despite the criticism I anticipate the machine and am already scouring the streets for a good place to pre-order. I just wonder if Nintendo really needed to make such a huge fanfare over what wasn’t very much at all.
Sat 23/09/06 at 18:18
Regular
Watch the Heroes Wii trailer on ign, the sword is basically a lightsaber.
Sat 23/09/06 at 18:10
Regular
Lucas Arts pretty much confirmed a Wii lightsaber game at E3, when asked they just said "It would make an awesome game, wouldn't it?".
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bah without a realistic paint drying simulation engine it's just MS Paint with bells on. :-)
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:34
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
It doesn't dry.

Also, there should be an undo, option... so when you get carried away, you can save your masterpiece.

I always remember Bob Ross doing too much. I thought he'd ruined it, but then he'd finish it and it'd be stunning.

Good program.

The cornerstone of mid-day TV. Animal planet, from what i remember,
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:29
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Game wrote:
> (Painting? haha)

Can you then watch it dry?
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:28
Regular
Wii fox hunting!
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The good news is that with the Classic controller, you can play pretty much any game ever made. The bad news is that most developers will miss plenty of opportunities.

I know the Wii is quite arcadey, but there's lot of option for simulation games, too. A whole rifle range, etc. With mature sports like Archery, Shooting.

Wii Play sounds ideal for families. I told my family that my goal (to test the Touch Generations theory) was to get my Mum turning on the Wii of her own accord within a week of launch.

I'm optimistic.

Was that Joy of Painting game a joke, or a genuine game? If so, that's another 1,000,000 people won over. Plus, you should be able to save your pictures on to SD, transfer them to PC and then photohop them. Hopefully they'll save as Jpegs, or something.

All very exciting.

(Painting? haha)
Tue 19/09/06 at 14:14
Regular
pb wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That would be superb and would sell the console to me on Monkey
> Island alone. Though I doubt Lucas Arts would go for it, they
> don't seem like they're exactly champing at the bit to support
> Nintendo anymore.
>
> There were rumours of a Lightsaber Wii game...

I reckon lego star wars will come out on wii.
Mon 18/09/06 at 18:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
More fantasies, i'd imagine.

And what's a rumour anyway?

But yeah, it's definitely something i'd like to see. probably one for later on in development - when the developers know exactly what's going on. Also, light-sabre dueling might(should) only be a small part of what could be an FPS-Adventure-Anything hybrid.

Definitely not something to rush.

As for Lucas Arts, i'm going to e-mail IGN, or start a massive rumour on some site. Hopefully it'll click with Lucas.

I thik their point-and-clicks are somewhere between Wii-Play and Mario... not too fast, but enough of a game to sway newbies.

Here's to hoping.
Mon 18/09/06 at 14:21
"possibly impossible"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That would be superb and would sell the console to me on Monkey
> Island alone. Though I doubt Lucas Arts would go for it, they
> don't seem like they're exactly champing at the bit to support
> Nintendo anymore.

There were rumours of a Lightsaber Wii game...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.