GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue is simply out of this world."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/11/00 at 21:49
Regular
Shenmue is in another dimension - literally. I have to thank SR for sending it to me, as I found it outside my house at 6.00pm today hidden behind a fence! (The game was too big to put through my letterbox)

I must admit that Shenmue is amazing. For the last 2 hours I've been taken into a whole new world, a Japanese world (set 14years ago) with some awful American voice-overs, but I love it. It's like a whole new life, well almost!

I wasn't expecting this, I truly wasn't, and I am absolutely awe-inspired. Nothing I have seen can compare to such a 'game', but it really didn't feel like a game to play! As you may well have heard people say - Shenmue is an experience, and an incredibly absorbing one at that.

I found myself drawn into the environment I actually thought for a split second that I was actually in the game. Sonic - move over, a new spiky haired chum is in town and his name is Ryo-san, and he's out for revenge (as a dragon robed chap just killed his dad.

I've only been 'playing' for a couple of hours, and already I've witnessed a sun-setting, I've bought far too many mini plastic egg toys contain all sorts of things (including Bark and Bean from Fighters Megamix/Sonic Fighters!), but Ryo said he loved them, and told himself to keep on buying more!

I've had a Jet Soda to drink, and have mastered 4 new fighting moves in a local park! The old woman that lives with me (is she my…I mean Ryo's mum?) has already threatened to scorn me if I am reckless, and I've talked with a drunken Japanese bloke, been asked by about 10 little kids to play Baseball with them (did this sort of thing happen in Japan 14 years ago?), and I've fed a kitten (which is stuck in a box) some dried fish!

I simply could not believe how graphically amazing the game is. The texture mapping is fantastic, and the frame rate at 60hz is superb. The only faults that I have found so far, and I'm only on day 1, is that the control system will take a while to get used to (you can't jump, and the D-Pad is the only pad you can use) and the fact that some Japanese women have been assigned the most appalling American voiceovers.

I'll have to return back to the world of shenmue soon, but I'm glad that I can pause this world, and continue in my own, as I really need to catch up with a few things.

Shenmue is the work of Yu Suzuki and his team, and is spread out over 4 discs! I urge you to get this ‘game’ I was lucky enough to win it, so thanks to Ali and the team at SR!
Fri 01/12/00 at 20:53
(I finally storm my way back onto my computer) So guys, what should one get in the case of winning?

I have these options:

Quake 3 Arena (DC)
Tony Hawk's 2 (DC)
Le Mans 24 (DC)
Half Life
Worms world party!

thanks
Fri 01/12/00 at 18:57
Regular
"I like cheese"
Man! I thought my Fly Spy message was better. Or maybe not. Not sure.
Oh well, nice one Dan
Fri 01/12/00 at 17:57
If I win 3 times during two weeks I keep 1, give two away.
:)
Fri 01/12/00 at 17:19
Regular
People can keep it or give it away if they want.
Fri 01/12/00 at 17:18
Regular
Well done Dan. You derserve to keep the game.

Today onwards though, games to charity. So keep that in mind when choosing winners Ali!!

(Don't give to newbies then?)

That's about right.
Fri 01/12/00 at 17:16
Regular
Well done i knew you could win, now you've won and i've won!
Fri 01/12/00 at 16:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
No problem here, afterall, the amount of work you put into winning it I'd be mortified if you gave it away so easily. Have mucho fun.
Fri 01/12/00 at 16:21
Cheers!
But, just so you all remember - especially jimmy, I will be keeping this game as i effectively won it yesterday.
If I win again within the next two weeks, then that game will be for the orphans or whoever,

Dan
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:43
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Congratulations Dan. (About time too)
Fri 01/12/00 at 00:47
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
One lovely copy of Shenmue has my name on it tomorrow
:-))

God i'm going to give that thing such a caining !!!!

Think i'm gonna get some food and drink into my room tonight before i goto bed so its ready for when i sprint to the shops first thing tomorrow ;-))

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.