GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue is simply out of this world."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/11/00 at 21:49
Regular
Shenmue is in another dimension - literally. I have to thank SR for sending it to me, as I found it outside my house at 6.00pm today hidden behind a fence! (The game was too big to put through my letterbox)

I must admit that Shenmue is amazing. For the last 2 hours I've been taken into a whole new world, a Japanese world (set 14years ago) with some awful American voice-overs, but I love it. It's like a whole new life, well almost!

I wasn't expecting this, I truly wasn't, and I am absolutely awe-inspired. Nothing I have seen can compare to such a 'game', but it really didn't feel like a game to play! As you may well have heard people say - Shenmue is an experience, and an incredibly absorbing one at that.

I found myself drawn into the environment I actually thought for a split second that I was actually in the game. Sonic - move over, a new spiky haired chum is in town and his name is Ryo-san, and he's out for revenge (as a dragon robed chap just killed his dad.

I've only been 'playing' for a couple of hours, and already I've witnessed a sun-setting, I've bought far too many mini plastic egg toys contain all sorts of things (including Bark and Bean from Fighters Megamix/Sonic Fighters!), but Ryo said he loved them, and told himself to keep on buying more!

I've had a Jet Soda to drink, and have mastered 4 new fighting moves in a local park! The old woman that lives with me (is she my…I mean Ryo's mum?) has already threatened to scorn me if I am reckless, and I've talked with a drunken Japanese bloke, been asked by about 10 little kids to play Baseball with them (did this sort of thing happen in Japan 14 years ago?), and I've fed a kitten (which is stuck in a box) some dried fish!

I simply could not believe how graphically amazing the game is. The texture mapping is fantastic, and the frame rate at 60hz is superb. The only faults that I have found so far, and I'm only on day 1, is that the control system will take a while to get used to (you can't jump, and the D-Pad is the only pad you can use) and the fact that some Japanese women have been assigned the most appalling American voiceovers.

I'll have to return back to the world of shenmue soon, but I'm glad that I can pause this world, and continue in my own, as I really need to catch up with a few things.

Shenmue is the work of Yu Suzuki and his team, and is spread out over 4 discs! I urge you to get this ‘game’ I was lucky enough to win it, so thanks to Ali and the team at SR!
Sun 03/12/00 at 17:15
Regular
Everyone has to sl-g off my winning post, don't they?
Sun 03/12/00 at 17:09
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was just saying do not give me abuse if I win (which I won't) if I don't give it to charity.

Actually I am so skint it would be giving it away to charity, for my brothers Christmas present.

I would usually agree, and as I said it is good to see the christmas spirt in so many!

:)
Sun 03/12/00 at 16:46
Regular
I WILL be giving my game to charity if I win over the next two weeks.

I mean, I'm always going to be here, and gameaday is always going to run, so why get greedy?
Sun 03/12/00 at 13:00
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I have to admit, a DC game that rulez - Shen-moo
Sun 03/12/00 at 12:53
Regular
"I like cheese"
If that sarcatic meant that you were being sarcastic, then that message I just wrote defending myself was a waste of time.
Sun 03/12/00 at 12:51
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hey, I'm not annoyed or ungrateful. Read my message in full. It says "maybe". It also says "not sure". It also says "nice one Dan". I'm also not moaning. I just thought my message had been the best that day when I looked so I thought I'd win but I hadn't seen Dan's and he hasn't won for a while so he deserved to win and I have no complaints. (deep breath).
PS- Calm down a little Sheepy. Or maybe you're like my dad, or me even, read my reply to Edgy's post. I misunderstood and got annoyed. Oops.
Sat 02/12/00 at 23:55
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Sorry i meant PC version.
Sat 02/12/00 at 23:53
Regular
"MSR Rules"
If i were to ever win (not likely) i'd have half life DC.
I saw the video in Game and it looks fantastic, better than the PS version (probably coz the ps version is 2 years old.)
Fri 01/12/00 at 22:30
Regular
Ant you've won 3 games, me 2, sheepy i think 1.
How does that feel?
Fri 01/12/00 at 21:15
Regular
"Excommunicated"
1. ANT how many games have you won? (sacastic) so stop moaning that you did not win, you cannot win all the time.

2. If I win from now to Christmas (which I won't) I am keeping the game I am not being mean I would give it to my brother for Christmas than a hospital hundreds of miles away. (I am not being mean its the facts)

3.Is it just me or is evryone who has one in the last few days all suddenly agreeing to this (ie. GRIX).

So why not give yours away anyway, will you all hate me if I keep mine? :)

But I would give it away if I was not skint and I must say it is nice to see the christmas spirit in so many of you!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.