GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So who's got Mafia then?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/09/02 at 22:32
Regular
I decided to bite the bullet and dig deep this afternoon (read: I bought Mafia).

At first, I was thoroughly disappointed. After the game chose the recommended settings for my system, which were quite high, I thought 'great', but then 'not so great' when the game absolutely crawled on the first mission.
However, after a bit of tweakage with the settings, I realised that it was the 'hardware T&L' that was doing the damage, as all the street lamps at night were giving me poor ol' girl a bit of a hard time. Now though, the game's pretty smooth 98% of the time.
Second thought was that the initial, taxi-based missions were DULL! Still, I suppose it's only setting a bit of background...it gets A LOT more interesting once you actually join the Mafia!
Gameplay-wise, everything is pretty top notch, first-class entertainment so far, although I can't help thinking it's basically the same as GTA3 (with more action indoors) and the general handling of the vehicles can be really irritating at first. Still, stick at it and it comes eventually. :)

At the moment, I'm on a mission called 'The W***e' (I think)...no prizes for guessing what's roughly involved in this mission. ;) Having a bit of a hard time taking out/evading all the guards in the building, but once you get yourself a sawn-off shotgun, things get a fair bit easier.

Oh, and for all the perves out there, you'll be glad to here the female interaction hots up a bit at times. Don't forget, this game IS a 15. ;)
Sun 15/09/02 at 10:12
Regular
"That's right!"
I used the far off view, so I could see more of the cars around me

I don't know what you're complaining about Wookie, the level was nothing more than a challenge for me, something I haven't had for a LONG time. Just take it easy on the corners. Heck, it took me about 20 goes, and the sense of achievment when I finally came in first (by about a mile) was amazing. Because I'm amazing ;)
Sun 15/09/02 at 04:40
"High polygon count"
Ah, cheers!

I went through the in-game tutorial and didn't bother reading the manual - didn't realise you could get an in-car view. That was much easier.

Maybe I won't take it back now!
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:58
Regular
"accidental superher"
hmm...
the race wasn't that hard....
i went for the in car view..
just make sure you slow down before turns...
Sat 14/09/02 at 19:16
"High polygon count"
I've had enough of it. That sodding race you have to do is a real pain in the butt. Useless bloody controls and crap cars. If I wanted a dodgy racing game, I'd have bought one.

Five laps? I can't even do one lap without either losing control or being put into a barrier by one of the other drivers.

It's going back next week. Shame they had to spoil it with this rubbish.
Sat 14/09/02 at 18:29
heh heh
Sat 14/09/02 at 01:08
"High polygon count"
Flaming Chuck wrote:
> Your all sooo slow, ive done the game

Gimme a break, I only got it today!
Fri 13/09/02 at 22:58
Your all sooo slow, ive done the game, and am now try-na do those FREAKING extreme free ride missions, there soooo hard, ive done like 1 and got a hippied up van
Fri 13/09/02 at 19:30
"High polygon count"
Gosh darn it! That race you have to do is really p***ing me off!
Thu 12/09/02 at 18:58
Regular
"That's right!"
Lugwig wrote:
> Can anyone help me do the racing mission

--------

Read the Mafia hints I posted here
Thu 12/09/02 at 18:40
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Download the full game from KaZaA :D

No thanks - not interested in pirated games... or getting viruses from Kazaa! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.