GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So who's got Mafia then?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/09/02 at 22:32
Regular
I decided to bite the bullet and dig deep this afternoon (read: I bought Mafia).

At first, I was thoroughly disappointed. After the game chose the recommended settings for my system, which were quite high, I thought 'great', but then 'not so great' when the game absolutely crawled on the first mission.
However, after a bit of tweakage with the settings, I realised that it was the 'hardware T&L' that was doing the damage, as all the street lamps at night were giving me poor ol' girl a bit of a hard time. Now though, the game's pretty smooth 98% of the time.
Second thought was that the initial, taxi-based missions were DULL! Still, I suppose it's only setting a bit of background...it gets A LOT more interesting once you actually join the Mafia!
Gameplay-wise, everything is pretty top notch, first-class entertainment so far, although I can't help thinking it's basically the same as GTA3 (with more action indoors) and the general handling of the vehicles can be really irritating at first. Still, stick at it and it comes eventually. :)

At the moment, I'm on a mission called 'The W***e' (I think)...no prizes for guessing what's roughly involved in this mission. ;) Having a bit of a hard time taking out/evading all the guards in the building, but once you get yourself a sawn-off shotgun, things get a fair bit easier.

Oh, and for all the perves out there, you'll be glad to here the female interaction hots up a bit at times. Don't forget, this game IS a 15. ;)
Fri 06/09/02 at 22:32
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I decided to bite the bullet and dig deep this afternoon (read: I bought Mafia).

At first, I was thoroughly disappointed. After the game chose the recommended settings for my system, which were quite high, I thought 'great', but then 'not so great' when the game absolutely crawled on the first mission.
However, after a bit of tweakage with the settings, I realised that it was the 'hardware T&L' that was doing the damage, as all the street lamps at night were giving me poor ol' girl a bit of a hard time. Now though, the game's pretty smooth 98% of the time.
Second thought was that the initial, taxi-based missions were DULL! Still, I suppose it's only setting a bit of background...it gets A LOT more interesting once you actually join the Mafia!
Gameplay-wise, everything is pretty top notch, first-class entertainment so far, although I can't help thinking it's basically the same as GTA3 (with more action indoors) and the general handling of the vehicles can be really irritating at first. Still, stick at it and it comes eventually. :)

At the moment, I'm on a mission called 'The W***e' (I think)...no prizes for guessing what's roughly involved in this mission. ;) Having a bit of a hard time taking out/evading all the guards in the building, but once you get yourself a sawn-off shotgun, things get a fair bit easier.

Oh, and for all the perves out there, you'll be glad to here the female interaction hots up a bit at times. Don't forget, this game IS a 15. ;)
Fri 06/09/02 at 23:37
Regular
"accidental superher"
i got it today too :D
and found the driving bits just painful...cos it goes so bloody slow! and if i do get past 40mph then i get pulled over by the cops...which is just irritating.
got to mission 4...1 and 2 were just boring...3 was a heck of a lot better...and haven't even seen the intro for 4
Sat 07/09/02 at 09:52
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
beanz wrote:
> and if i do get past 40mph then i get pulled over by the cops

Rubbish! In one mission, I had to nick a racing car from the racing track and drive it through town. This thing got to 40mph in the click of a finger, so I thought 'sod this', flicked off the limited and nailed the beast to about 130mph! Cops couldn't touch me!
Saying that, even driving lesser cars during the day, if a copper spots you speeding, nail it, go down and alley or something and get out (without them seeing). They'll get confused and eventually give up!
Sat 07/09/02 at 14:56
Regular
"That's right!"
"Having a bit of a hard time taking out/evading all the guards in the building, but once you get yourself a sawn-off shotgun, things get a fair bit easier."

Find the girl first, then go downstairs and shoot the guy in the face. Stay in this room and shoot everyone who comes in. Go get the key from the front desk (and there's some health there I think) then go upstairs to the director's room and plant the explosives

Easy
Sat 07/09/02 at 15:44
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Got past that mission a looooonnnggg time ago, Mo. :P
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:44
I got it yesterday.

Top game,absolute amazing car pyhisics.Its gets really fun now im with the family.The free ride is one of the most fun things except its too damm hard to get money with out dying.

Im currently on the 3rd or 4th mission
Sun 08/09/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This game rocks.
As for being nicked for speeing,you do use the limiter don't you? No? Oh.

The hardest bit so far, and teeth-grindingly infuriating was The Race. Took many many restarts and almost wins before I did it. Bloody hard but superb.
I'm now having to kill the accountant but I lost him and spent 20 mins shooting cars tyres out and being all mobster.
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:09
Regular
"accidental superher"
yeah i do use the speed limiter occasionally...but it does get quite frustrating travelling that slow...
i've got to mission 11 -"visiting rich people"
the race was very an*l....on about my 5 attempt....i was leading the race and had 2 more turns before winning...and on the second to last turn i go and mess up....making me have to restart it! did it on the 6th attempt though.
some pretty cool set pieces etc....still don't like that speed limit thing and having to stop at traffic lights bit. but once you get the beefier cars it's okay i guess
Sun 08/09/02 at 21:24
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I'm on the same mission beanz. I'm at the bit where you pick up the guy to crack the safe and then go to the guy's house. It's all a sneaky-sneaky affair and there's great satisfaction to be had from 'charging up' your baseball bat attack and then slugging out on the back of someone's head. Lovely jubbly. :D
Mon 09/09/02 at 14:04
Regular
i just bought it and it is happily installing itself at the moment

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.