GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FIFA 09 vs PES 2009"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/07/08 at 09:52
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
I have always been a big PES and FIFA fan, up until a few years ago I would only play FIFA even though I owned the odd copy of PES or ISS as the earlier case would be. Then drink cam involved and PES become the ultimate drunken multiplayer and in my eyes the playabilty and gameplay in general overtook that of FIFA.

After playing PES 2008 and the FIFA counterpart I feel the gameplay gap has narrowed and FIFA have really upped their game with not only having superior graphics they have implemented some great ideas with the trick stock and jostling etc. PES on the other hand seriously let their fans down with frame rate issues, removing key options from the editing facility and allowing the online mode to majorly suck.

After reading numerous previews of FIFA 09 and seeing some stills I am for the first time since I was a wee nipper (like FIFA 2000 era) genuinely excited about a FIFA game being released. There is due to be a new weight, speed and strength game engine in place where if Spurs' Tom 'Brick S*&t House' Huddlestone ran into Arsenal's Theo Walcott there would only be one outcome of Theo toppling to the floor due to Huddlestones excessive strength and weight advantage and Theo's light speedy frame. This in my opinion will seriously make the game realistic and will make the game a lot more enjoyable when you can knock Cristiano Ronaldo off his feet by letting gently bumping into the dramatic portugese winger.

On the other hand I have heard rumours but nothing set in stone about PES 2009, the major rumour is that it is due to feature an indoor pitch which growing up was always my favourite feature with Fifa 96 and 97 on the meagdrive and feel that this is an option that would be welcomed back with open arms among football game players and a greatly improved editing mode which should meen that despite the licensing issue we should have a part or fully completed premier league within it.

Even though PES 6 was my favourite game of the last 3 or 4 years, I feel that Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka really let us down with PES2008 and think that alot of PES fans migrated over to the EA side and that FIFA09 is the more anticipated release.

Which of the 2 are you most looking forward to?
Which of the 2 will you buy?
What features have your heard about/excited about?

Discuss your opinions of the 2008 versions and express your views on the future releases.
Mon 07/07/08 at 09:52
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
I have always been a big PES and FIFA fan, up until a few years ago I would only play FIFA even though I owned the odd copy of PES or ISS as the earlier case would be. Then drink cam involved and PES become the ultimate drunken multiplayer and in my eyes the playabilty and gameplay in general overtook that of FIFA.

After playing PES 2008 and the FIFA counterpart I feel the gameplay gap has narrowed and FIFA have really upped their game with not only having superior graphics they have implemented some great ideas with the trick stock and jostling etc. PES on the other hand seriously let their fans down with frame rate issues, removing key options from the editing facility and allowing the online mode to majorly suck.

After reading numerous previews of FIFA 09 and seeing some stills I am for the first time since I was a wee nipper (like FIFA 2000 era) genuinely excited about a FIFA game being released. There is due to be a new weight, speed and strength game engine in place where if Spurs' Tom 'Brick S*&t House' Huddlestone ran into Arsenal's Theo Walcott there would only be one outcome of Theo toppling to the floor due to Huddlestones excessive strength and weight advantage and Theo's light speedy frame. This in my opinion will seriously make the game realistic and will make the game a lot more enjoyable when you can knock Cristiano Ronaldo off his feet by letting gently bumping into the dramatic portugese winger.

On the other hand I have heard rumours but nothing set in stone about PES 2009, the major rumour is that it is due to feature an indoor pitch which growing up was always my favourite feature with Fifa 96 and 97 on the meagdrive and feel that this is an option that would be welcomed back with open arms among football game players and a greatly improved editing mode which should meen that despite the licensing issue we should have a part or fully completed premier league within it.

Even though PES 6 was my favourite game of the last 3 or 4 years, I feel that Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka really let us down with PES2008 and think that alot of PES fans migrated over to the EA side and that FIFA09 is the more anticipated release.

Which of the 2 are you most looking forward to?
Which of the 2 will you buy?
What features have your heard about/excited about?

Discuss your opinions of the 2008 versions and express your views on the future releases.
Mon 07/07/08 at 12:31
Regular
Hmmm that is a good question, I've been a FIFA fan boy for so long but PES is just better overall. 08 still didn't make the step up to be honest, and every year EA huff and puff about how good the next FIFA will be and all these features they are going to add and yet it still ends up not being a step up. As such I will probably buy neither and wait till they come down in price and pick them up cheap.

Also FIFA online sucks just as much as PES. I have 08 on XBOX and I struggle to use play online and get a game.
Fri 11/07/08 at 15:32
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Well people?
Fri 11/07/08 at 17:28
Regular
^ You're posts are worthless.
Sun 13/07/08 at 16:48
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Pro hasn't really changed at all for ages, while they got the gameplay element of it down everything else is poor and detracts away from it. The online especially is atrocious and something you'd expect from a company just starting out with a limited budget.
It was so awful last year it made me rent Fifa 08 to see what was going on with that series nowadays and despite all the good words about it it still felt as awful as it was when i left it. The game just doesn't flow properly and the movement of the ball just doesn't feel "right". Never understood the praise for the graphics either, the player likenesses aren't as good as Pro's (the players that actually get proper likenesses anyway, i remember when Richardson was white for United back in pro 4 or 5)

If Konami fixed the online and actually brought something new to the table rather than refined tweaks and touches (i.e, sod all) then i'd go straight back to that in a flash, as of now, i wouldn't get either.
Fri 26/09/08 at 16:43
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Now that the releases are just round the corner, which game you all gonna buy.

Im gonna buy both, well Fifa will be an early B'day present from my rents but PES 2009 I feel I have to buy it, its the ultimate multiplayer sports game IMO.
Sat 27/09/08 at 00:43
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> Now that the releases are just round the corner, which game you
> all gonna buy.

Neither. The last footie game I played was FIFA '98 on the PlayStation replete with The Crystal Method's kicking Busy Child intro.

Then I got hold of Final Fantasy VII and discovered my genre.

I have a very cynical view of the FIFA/PES series, they should just rerelease FIFA '98 and patch it annually, nobody would notice (in my whacky opinion).
Tue 30/09/08 at 12:51
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Excited about FIFA 09 - I've always been a FIFA player as it was the first football game I played. Play PES every now and again for a change, but definitely looking forward to FIFA!

Thing I am interested in is the 10 on 10 multiplayer with everybody being a single team member. Sounds good and hopefully they'll finish the tweaks ready for the World Cup 2010 - where a REAL interactive world cup can take place! Worth making a name for yourself early on so that you can get noticed...

Some ridiculous amounts of tactics you can use and fiddle with - hopefully the best FIFA yet, although a little put off by the demo I've played.

Best bits? Probably hacking away at Ronaldo at every opportunity. Maybe enough virtual injuries may influence real life and I won't have to see his smug face every time football is on at the pub! And the achievement list looks pretty sweet too! Achievement List
Wed 01/10/08 at 08:25
Regular
"THFC"
I really don't know, they both look good, but has anyone got news on the Online modes yet?? I am sure Fifa will be solid as it is EA, but Pro Evo was shocking and that is50% of the reason i buy the game.

I am swaying a bit towards Fifa due to this but i do love Pro Evo, i have not had a FIFa game for a long time and do miss all the names and graphics.

Decison time is Friday, i am going into Town and i am probably going to pick it up! But then Xbox or Ps3 lol?

EDIT:

There are a couple of videos here comparing the two
HERE
I just need to read up on the online and then me and my brother will have to decide which one to get
Thu 02/10/08 at 14:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Oh fickle me.

I tried out both demos and FIFA '09 struck a chord with me for some reason whilst PES didn't. It's probably just the overall gloss and polish of the better presented demo I think, but the fact that you can also get absorbed in trying to beat the keeper whilst the next game loads was a major plus for FIFA.

So I'm going to get FIFA for the 360 this year.

For the hardcore fans, don't take this to heart, I'm not a huge footie fan, in terms of gameplay they both looked equally 'fun'. I just liked EA's presentation better, and they have been getting decent reviews too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.