GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Roy Carroll, Rising Star!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/08/02 at 13:17
Regular
Fabiem Barthez. A World Class French international who has helped his country to triumph on the international stage on no less-than 2 occasions during the last 4 years. France may have gone out in the Group Stages to stun the world, but they are still a threat to all other nations, and Barthez is still a World Class player.
In his first season at Old Trafford he helped United to help themselves to the Premiership, once again, as the new Schmeichel. He may have also had more than his fair-share of 'off days' compared to the average Goalkeeper but he certainly hasn't lost his touch for keeping the ball out of the back of the net.

The 'Fab Man' is currently out injured for a few more weeks or so with a hip injury that disables his from being able to dive and save the ball well and easily. Who knows, it could even be another month or two before the so-called 'Calamity Barthez' returns in the no.1 jersey between the sticks.
After the summer sale of aeging Dutchman Raimond van der Gouw to West Ham, with Nick Culkin and Paul Rachubka also gone before they could say "Hello" to the Premiership, United are left with only 1 keeper keeper with any real experience in Roy Carroll. And if he's not playing, then it's time for the young teenage prodigy Ben Williams to dive into the deep end with Henry ready to pounce!

There has been talk of United loaning-in a new keeper as a temporary back-up for Barthez, but with Carroll fit and raring to go, I honestly don't see why we should've been battling with Arsenal for the signature of Uruguay's Carini, or even someone like Rustu, Turkey's World Cup star.
We're fine as we are, with or without Barthez. We have Carroll!

After signing from Second Division Wigan for a mere £2m (raising to around £2.5m) it seems that this has to be one of the greatest Bargain Signings United have made in their entire history spanning near-to around 120 years.
This Summer Signing of 2001 must go right up-there with the likes of Cantona when he joined from Leeds for just over a million, Schmeichel's £hundred-thousand move from Denmark, and even Van Nistelrooy's £19.5m that finally took-place at the same time.

He may not have helped us achieve silverware in any shape or form as of yet, and his first season at Old Trafford may have turned-out to be something of a 'disaster' rather than the 'life at the top' he was expecting. But give it time, and we will win something. And then the rest will follow, so much silver that the visting will get blinded!

Barthez may still remain no.1 between the sticks, despite some regular critisism, but Fergie and all United fans world-wide should now feel that extra bit secure when the Fab Man is back on the Treatment Table again, as Northern Ireland international Roy Carroll has really begun to show us all that he can mix-'n'-match against the big boys, and that he may also be the one to take-over in goal when the Barthez finally hangs-up his gloves!

Fergie must have known there was something special about this lad when he first saw him play at the JJB Stadium when he first he broke into the Wigan first team. The temptation of playing at the Theatre of Dreams for United, in the Premiership and Champions' League alone was too-strong a temptation for Carroll who ignored the rest, and chose the best. And he's certainly proven in such a short space of time that he can BE the best, and stop the rest.

Ok that's enough rhyming from me... he wouldn't be Northern Ireland's first-choice keeper for nothing!

But how secure can Barthez place really be with a youngster like this??
He's still got so many years ahead of him to develop too....
Sat 31/08/02 at 11:05
Regular
yes i know there is a spanish ricardo who has signed for united but to say he is spain's no2 as ferguson did is a blatant lie. Its like saying that Ian Walker is Englands No 2 just because he has been in the squad when there have been injuries. An by the way it was Canizares who injured himself and Casillas of real madrid that filled in!
Fri 30/08/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ashley,

Ricardo was no.2 for spain, check it out, casilles was injured and cudnt take part in the world cup. Portugal have a player called Ricardo but he is not a goalie.
Fri 30/08/02 at 19:34
Regular
ah the thing that threw me was the spains no2 bit. The other ricardo is portugals no 2. This Ricardo is not spains No2 by a long stretch! (ahem ahem, canizares, iker casillas) i think youve got the two stories intertwined. Oh and Barthez will still be first choice as this Ricardo bloke is just there to make sure they don't run out of keeprers
Fri 30/08/02 at 17:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But what will happen now, after this Ricardo signing??

Here are the possible scenarios I can see:
1. Barthez gets frozen-out and wants to leave.
2. Carroll drops-down to 3rd choice depite performances and decides that it is already time to move-on.
3. This Ricardo bloke only plays one or two League Cup games and requests and Transfer come May 2003.

Eithe way, someone will want to leave.
Let us just hope that by buying a Spanish International that neither of our current Goalkeeping Stars see the door opening near them!

That's what I don't understand - why we are SIGNING a player with a rather large reputation as Spain's no.2, rather than loaning him in or getting someone who is USED to being 3rd choice.
He's only gunna mess things up!
Thu 29/08/02 at 23:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
haven't even heard of him. anyone give me a few bits of information on what he's like? I hope he's not eccentric like Barthez
Thu 29/08/02 at 19:55
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
he's spanish not portugese and he looks pretty good from what ive seen of him in la liga
Thu 29/08/02 at 18:35
Regular
he's portugese and isn't better than barthez ive seen ricardo and although i don't like barthez he is still better!
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:49
Regular
Ricardo, the Spanish national team's No.2 keeper, is also being linked with a move to United (according to teletext).

Does all this speculation mean the end of Barthez? - Hope so.
Thu 29/08/02 at 09:37
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
would've preferred Carini but ah well Poom's alright
Thu 29/08/02 at 09:21
Regular
Mart Poom is on his way to United, according to the today's papers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.