GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BLATANT ATTEMPED TO WIN GAMEADAY 2: 3D platformers seem to have lost the plot!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/00 at 13:31
Regular
If anyones played Mario 64 or DK64 you'll find that platfrom gaming has changed since the days of Snes.
Firstly, the characters now have a variety of fighting moves. Punching? Kicking? Shooting with guns? What happened to the classic "jumping on heads" technique. Yes you can jump on heads still but it's much easier to use a silly punch. Marios new jumping skills are great but there's no need for this punching and kicking.

DK64 ruined this further by adding guns. What happened to his barrel throwing (which was in the boss stages of DK64 but still...) and Mario, what happened to his "shell kicking" (remember on the nes and Snes).

Lastly, they've changed from platform games to adventure games. Instead of jumping on platforms you now simply search 3D levels for bananas and coins with a small bit of platfroming but no as much as there should have been.

Note for Nintendo- When the Gamecube comes, please bring back classic platforming.
Sun 29/04/01 at 21:18
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dan_uk wrote:
> Armatige, play thr original Crash Bandicoot on the PSOne and you'll
> get an idea of how a true 3D platformer should be.

I was always under the impression that the original Crash Banticoot wasnt a freespace platformer like Mario?
Sun 29/04/01 at 21:14
Regular
Armatige, play thr original Crash Bandicoot on the PSOne and you'll get an idea of how a true 3D platformer should be.
Sun 29/04/01 at 00:11
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
3D Platformers do seem to be a natural progression of the platform genre...

Although with the change in perspective comes a change in gaming style. Since the linear gamplay of the 2D platformer (getting from the left of the level to the right, the bottom of the screen to the top) has to be dropped, there is required another requirment for level completion.

The platform adveture is not new to the 3D gaming format, Mario64s collect the coins requirements are exactly the same as Jet Set Willys collect the riches requirements...

Equally gaming attacks in platformers have never really changed. Although the machine gun in the N64's Donky Kong game may have been a rather unfortunate design error, gun toting platforming heros have already been around for a decade or two (e.g. green Beret)

3D platforming does provide a different experience to 2D platformers, and, since its such a comparitivly undeveloped development, and including the inherent problems with current 3D games (esp. Camera Angles and positioning) there are bound to be a few bugs still to be ironed out.

This isnt to say 2D platformers should be shuffled off their mortal coil, since there is, especially within the confines of the GBA, a great deal of life in the old dog yet.

As with FPS, although the straight 3D shoot-em-ups, DOOM style games, wobble precariously in and out of popular gaming vogue. The development of more complex, Half-Life, Deus Ex games provide greater sophisitaction , enhancments and development the genre. However, there is still a gmore than enough room for the Serious Sam's, Doom3, etc... traditin=onal style FPS to continue to flourish

2D platformingers greatest weakness is the reptitive gameplay inherant to the genre. Having bad guys patrolling the platforms whilst the player tries to get through the screen, wether via Bubble Bobble or Super Mario. Once you've played a few platformers, you start to get the impression that you've played them all. The weakness is inherant due to the limitations of the early machines on which they original concepts were developed. Not so much a problem for 3D platformers, since not only does the vastly increased processor power and the new style environment allow for a greater degree of design variation, but since the current level of development only really arrived with the last console set (PS1, N64, DC, etc) theres not pre-conceptions from the original design set, provding a greater freedom for design and experimentation.

Essentially 3D platformers are a fairly natural evolution from the 2D platformer. Which although certainly creaking at the joints still has a few surprises up its sleave.

Its almost a shame we were so spoiled with the first batch of 3D platformers (Mario64, et al.) that they are hard games to follow
Sat 28/04/01 at 23:36
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Super Taxi Driver for the PC is fun.
Sat 28/04/01 at 23:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
I am King of all 'no's' I am the 'er'

mmm...''''''
Sat 28/04/01 at 23:30
Regular
I'm the proud owner of numero one.

I was actually trying to win. But I knew putting the title as so would stop me from being chose.
Sat 28/04/01 at 22:25
Regular
Despite the name, I wasn'ty ACTUALLY trying to win a game with this topic :-)
Wed 22/11/00 at 22:15
Regular
I'm sure everyone will notice it a bit more when Swordspines start releasing games!
Tue 21/11/00 at 16:35
Regular
I suppose the sequel is usually better than the first one... sniff.

(No comment.)

Anyway, Banjo Tooie looks, and apparently plays amazing, apart from the framerate, which Rare are working on now.

And anyway, we get a better framerate on UK tvs, don't we...

Dan_UK? You know why, I think.
Tue 21/11/00 at 13:01
Regular
DK64 and Mario 64 only turned into platform games because there's not enough room on a cartrage for bigger levels. Now when Nintendo and Rare have 1.5 gigabyte Gamecube discs to cram full of gameplay...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.