GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BLATANT ATTEMPED TO WIN GAMEADAY 2: 3D platformers seem to have lost the plot!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/00 at 13:31
Regular
If anyones played Mario 64 or DK64 you'll find that platfrom gaming has changed since the days of Snes.
Firstly, the characters now have a variety of fighting moves. Punching? Kicking? Shooting with guns? What happened to the classic "jumping on heads" technique. Yes you can jump on heads still but it's much easier to use a silly punch. Marios new jumping skills are great but there's no need for this punching and kicking.

DK64 ruined this further by adding guns. What happened to his barrel throwing (which was in the boss stages of DK64 but still...) and Mario, what happened to his "shell kicking" (remember on the nes and Snes).

Lastly, they've changed from platform games to adventure games. Instead of jumping on platforms you now simply search 3D levels for bananas and coins with a small bit of platfroming but no as much as there should have been.

Note for Nintendo- When the Gamecube comes, please bring back classic platforming.
Fri 17/11/00 at 13:31
Regular
If anyones played Mario 64 or DK64 you'll find that platfrom gaming has changed since the days of Snes.
Firstly, the characters now have a variety of fighting moves. Punching? Kicking? Shooting with guns? What happened to the classic "jumping on heads" technique. Yes you can jump on heads still but it's much easier to use a silly punch. Marios new jumping skills are great but there's no need for this punching and kicking.

DK64 ruined this further by adding guns. What happened to his barrel throwing (which was in the boss stages of DK64 but still...) and Mario, what happened to his "shell kicking" (remember on the nes and Snes).

Lastly, they've changed from platform games to adventure games. Instead of jumping on platforms you now simply search 3D levels for bananas and coins with a small bit of platfroming but no as much as there should have been.

Note for Nintendo- When the Gamecube comes, please bring back classic platforming.
Fri 17/11/00 at 14:38
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Good luck.
Sat 18/11/00 at 21:53
Regular
People are also allowed to reply with their own veiws on the topic...
Sun 19/11/00 at 10:32
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
it is hard to do all this on 3D games, it would be harder to land on someones head in a 3D game than it would be on a 2D scrolling game, everything changes, and it needs something new to make the money, if you could only throw barrels you wouldn't want to spend £60! I know you get an exp pak with it, which is only £24.99 from SR! fantastic, i'm so glad I got it from here. Plus if Mario could only jump on heads and kick shells, which would probably miss the target, you would hate to pay more than £30 on it! i know I would.
Mon 20/11/00 at 03:48
Regular
The downfall of the N64's early Turok and Castlevannia games was the reliance on jumping onto awkward platforms, it seems better to me to go with different means to test the player's skill.
Mon 20/11/00 at 12:07
Regular
"not dead"
And I thought with a title like that, you wouldn't win!
Well done!
Personally I got sick of the traditional platformer when the Megadrive was flooded with them. The 3D adventure is an expansion on the platformer really, and a much more fun gaming environment. In my opinion, anyway.
Tue 21/11/00 at 13:01
Regular
DK64 and Mario 64 only turned into platform games because there's not enough room on a cartrage for bigger levels. Now when Nintendo and Rare have 1.5 gigabyte Gamecube discs to cram full of gameplay...
Tue 21/11/00 at 16:35
Regular
I suppose the sequel is usually better than the first one... sniff.

(No comment.)

Anyway, Banjo Tooie looks, and apparently plays amazing, apart from the framerate, which Rare are working on now.

And anyway, we get a better framerate on UK tvs, don't we...

Dan_UK? You know why, I think.
Wed 22/11/00 at 22:15
Regular
I'm sure everyone will notice it a bit more when Swordspines start releasing games!
Sat 28/04/01 at 22:25
Regular
Despite the name, I wasn'ty ACTUALLY trying to win a game with this topic :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.