GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I walked out HMV today..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/08/02 at 18:40
Regular
And the alarm went off

Everyone looked at me... so I looked back and they looked away :D

Then I gave a look to the person who served me saying:

" Next time take the bloody tag off right or I'll break your face "

Then I walked out... annoyed my friends who work in Sport Soccer... I asked for a size 14 in those Ice Skates... then walked out before they got back.

Then got bus back home.
Fri 09/08/02 at 15:34
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I hate when those flippin' alarms go off when you're innocent!

Everyone looks at you like you're some kind of tramp who doesn't have a life besides from stealing. Happened to me coming out of Virgin Megastores, just bought the new Ja Rule album and Parappa the Rappa 2(don't laugh, it's good) and the alarm went off!

First off, I thought it was someone else when suddenly all the high street punks turned at looked directly at me like a bunch of zombies. I went mad at the service desk "woman" (who happened to be blonde) and she removed the tag.

Now, I DID feel like a tramp walking through town with all eyes on me, but my two lovely fingers helped me through that embarassing walk home with my mates.
Fri 09/08/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
There's one of those at my school...

She'sa PE teacher, and she's got a shaved head with hair died silver - so she looks like Fabrizio Ravanelli (Derby player)!
She's also pretty butch too, but she's not a punk.

She used to scare us when we were in year 7!
Fri 09/08/02 at 15:04
Regular
"That's right!"
Heh. She was one of those punk ladies, with shaved hair, and a butch look. She scared me
Fri 09/08/02 at 15:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Bald-headed lady??
I'd have run if I was 14 and I saw that! :S
Fri 09/08/02 at 14:43
Regular
"That's right!"
I was always setting off the GAME alarms, usually when the same shaved headed woman would serve me. As soon as it went off, I'd stop turn around, and await the goons (two huge staff members) to come up, and treat me like a criminal. "Have you got a receipt for this?" as they rummage through the bag. Back then, I was a terrified 14 year old, so I'd just say "Yeah, I just got served there" and point to the one and only counter in the shop. If it happened nowadays, I'd say "Well, being that I just went up to the counter and exchanged money for goods with a member of staff, then yes, I would assume that I have a receipt, being that I have a brand new GAME bag and a game. Oh look, here's my 1p change. Isn't that marvelous?" Wonder what they'd say to that...

It's funny, because everytime it's happened to me at HMV and GAME etc, I get pulled back by security and looked at like I'm some scumbag thief. When I was young and in town with my mum, the alarms went off and they ran out to apologise, saying "We must've forgotten to take off the tags, sorry!" Proves how much shops trust young 'uns
Fri 09/08/02 at 14:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yeah, that always happens to me at this massive JJB Sports store in Basildon.

Fortunately, I only go clothes shopping once a year. {:)
Fri 09/08/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I set the alarm off going INTO Virgin once when I was on the GameCube hunt a while back in June.

I walked through those things, and there was suddenly all this beeping coming from all around me! Then, EVERYONE in the store instantly turned and started starning towards the direction of the Enterance, but no-one said a word!

I just casually carried on in, picked up the stuff and left again.
Strangely though, the alarm didn't go off on my way out though...

I've got no idea why this had happened!
Virgin was the very first store i'd been in on that day.
Maybe it was all those Copper Coins I had clogging up my Wallet or something??

It MUST have been me though - as I went in there was no-one else coming in or going out. Strange...
Fri 09/08/02 at 11:20
"Darkness, always"
Edgy wrote:
> When going to browse the videogames stock at Cardiff's Tos-R-us store,
> I got searched (!!!) for setting off the alarms going IN the shop!

You know they can't search you without your permission. You should have declined to be searched. They would look so damn stupid trying to prosecute you for shoplifting goods before even entering the store. You could likely claim compensation against loss of time and for embarassment in public. Punitive damages. Nice.
Fri 09/08/02 at 10:48
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
SmokedKipper wrote:
> The whole idea behind a contetion ratio was to allow for cheaper ADSL
> acces to be provided by sharing the resources a little. As more people
> subscribe locally we would begin to notice the 50:1 contention more
> significantly. However, as the revenue from more subscribers increases
> it will be possible to lower the ratio to keep speeds up.

Before anyone jumps in to correct this, I know the contention ratio is set by the telephone provider, rather than the ISP itself, but a proportion of the revenue from their subscribers goes to BT for use of the exchanges and lines so, in the longer term, they can afford to lower the 50:1.

If you want to spend more money there are ISPs who offer a much lower CR (and pay BT much more for it) but it won't make much difference.
Fri 09/08/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Dean_0 wrote:
> Do you know what that means ????? It means that your maximum speed of
> 512k download can be shared among 50 users, if they are all online at
> once then the speed drops below what an average 56k modem would offer
> !!!!!
>
> If you can work with that then your mad, im waiting till they bring
> the line contention down!

The ratio of 50:1 is a little misleading - it's actually more like 5000:100. I know this is proportionately the same but, in practice, it means that you're unlikely to notice your top speed drop at all - certainly not to anything like 56k modem speeds. The 50:1 (very wrongly) indicates that if just one other person who uses the same telephone exchange as you has ADSL then that halves your top speed instantly. It would be better if the contention ratio was only mentioned in the small print or 'terms and conditions' as, when misunderstood, it makes people think that broadband is rubbish.

Dropping to modems speeds would only happen if all 5000 people going through your exchange were ALL on ADSL and ALL were downloading CONSTANTLY (as in without ever stopping). Do you really think that's likely?

The whole idea behind a contetion ratio was to allow for cheaper ADSL acces to be provided by sharing the resources a little. As more people subscribe locally we would begin to notice the 50:1 contention more significantly. However, as the revenue from more subscribers increases it will be possible to lower the ratio to keep speeds up.

My provider (which is nothing to do with BT - it's Kingston Communications in Hull so we have our own network) offers 50:1 for £28.99 a month or 30:1 for £38.99 a month. I'd rather share my bandwidth with 49 light users than 29 download monsters who are willing to pay an extra tenner a month for a few more k/sec at peak times.

Bear in mind though that even with broadband you can only receive data as fast as it can be sent so there are still some places where you won't get faster than 56k anyway (my newsgroup server for example!).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.