GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Realistic Fighting Games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/11/00 at 21:31
Regular
Fighting games have got to be my all time favorite genre of games, When ever I play on my mates Playstaion I always play Tekken3 or Wu-Tang:Taste The Pain, all fighting games have this attraction which makes all friends come closer together, whether you only have a couple of games against a friend or if you have a tournament against a few friends at the same time it still has the same excitment not found in many other types of games.
It seems that all fighting games that have been released have this unrealistic sense to them, most of the characters can shoot balls of fire or spin around in circles at the speed of light, this is all very good but I would love to see a fighting game like blood sports, where kickboxers, karate masters and other kinds of martial arts experts get together for an all out battle, they don't have to kill each other, it would make it better if you could 'accidently' break their arm while having them in a lock.
This game would be like 'Knockout Kings 2000' but with martial arts, you could train against Bruce Lee instead of Mahammed Ali and move around different stadiums placed around the globe, and everyone you meet is fighting for a certain 'world title martial arts belt!
Thu 16/11/00 at 23:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Fireballs don't make a character invincible, i've never had too many problems getting my character accross the screen to someone throwing out constant fireballs and wrapping my foot round his head ;-))

Seriously though like i said, these exaggerated moves attract games players cause it makes the game more "flash". Look at Mortal Kombat, would that have sold without its death moves
and over the top special moves ? Most games that try to be realistic when it comes to fighting fail to attract the large number of the public.

At the end of the day, unrealistic moves, 50 foot jumps and someone pulling another persons head off with the poor sods spine hanging for all to see sells.
Maybe oneday a company will really look into a realistic game and manage to get it right and we'll have a really good bloodsport style game to play.
Until then I'm afraid your just gonna have to practise dodging those fireballs ;-)
Thu 16/11/00 at 12:43
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
fire balls, good? I don't like them because you can stand on the other side of the screen and kill your mate withou a touch, full contact games should be invented. And Super Smash Bros is my favorite game at the moment, it has easy solo player levels, but special characters can be difficult to get, especially Nes, but the multiplayer modes will keep you going for ages, the best character is Fox, hes from my other favorite game Star Fox64, or Lylat Wars, very very good, but for some reason I swapped it with a mate for Goldeneye, it seemed like a good thing at the time, just lylat wars was twice as expensive.
Wed 15/11/00 at 23:26
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
More realistic fighting games are around (such as Ultimate Fighting Championship), but the thing that tends to be their downfall is that they most of the time, become boring very quickly.

I think to improve things a system has to be introduced to make these type of beat em ups more indepth.
There are Chinese styles such as Wing Chun which aren't just simply using someones weight against them, they have mulitple counter moves that come from a technique known as rolling hands. Things could be considerably improved if this was incorperated.

Also there needs to be lots of counter moves so that its not simply dash forward and hit someone. There should be more time for players to counter eachother, creating a string of moves before a hit connects (i.e - different controls until a wrong one is entered). This would make fights a lot more interesting.

Until these sort of things are looked into, the more exaggerated fighting games will sell better because not only do they look more attractive, but these fireballs and speedy moves also add an extra element of strategy to the game.
Wed 15/11/00 at 23:02
Regular
"Whatever!"
Too easy!! Far Far too easy!!
There was only about three moves per Robot aswell.
Wed 15/11/00 at 22:57
Rise of the Robots? I had that on my Amiga CD32. Utter crud it was, too. I know it was either far too easy, or far too hard - but I can't remember which! Such a memorable game...
Wed 15/11/00 at 22:20
Regular
"Whatever!"
I have been into beat em ups for as long as I can remember. I just love the Street Fighter series, ever since owning SFII on the SNES. It is a shame that in this day and age though with games running in full 3-D and real time, that I am still spending most my time playing old fashioned 2-D games. But Ive said it before and I'll say it again - You cant beat them for playability.
Have been through a whole load of fighting games in my time. Double Dragon on the Master System was one of my all time favourites, then came Streets of Rage 1,2 which for some reason I couldnt get into. Mortal Kombat was a game that I wasted about hundred quid on down the arcades, it was excellent for its day but could never eclipse SF.
I had quite a few for my Amiga, anyone remember Body Blows? That was actually quite good. But what happened to the ill fated Rise of the Robots?
Now it is great to see beat em ups still going strong. Im a bit addicted to Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2 at the moment which have to be up there with the best. After winning gameaday will soon claim Super Smash Brothers which after reading a ton of reviews have decided it sounds like a class title after all. Ready 2 Rumble is alright but gets a bit boring after a while.
The future is looking better each day. Cant wait till I get my PS2 and Tekken Tag. I had Tekken 1,2 but have never played the third, but they are suppose to be very similar so looking forward to that. The Bouncer looks like being one amazing title as well. Hopefully going back to the Double Dragon style of gameplay. And have on order Ultimate Fighting Championship which could be the best fighter of all time. The realism, the ammount of moves and combos - WOW!! What a game, should be the greatest.
Wed 15/11/00 at 22:04
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
do you feel better for that? I hope so, ok i have to go now, nothing to do tommorrow as I have the day off, oh and I have friday off aswell, just aswell as my beutiful car failed it's MOT today, needs some new suspensions new brakes, the list was almt endless, and thats before I fit the new locks on the doors/boot/bonnet/wheels/petrol cap. my advice, no matter what, never ever buy a mini(car).
Wed 15/11/00 at 22:00
Regular
I feel like burtsting out with something! here we go......oh oh ah ah ah ah!
Wed 15/11/00 at 21:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I have another brilliant idea for a game, but as you don't wnt to hear it, I won't tell it to ya.
Wed 15/11/00 at 21:46
Regular
Will anyone please come!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.