GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WWIII in hippyman's household"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/04/08 at 17:30
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ever feel like you're between a rock and a hard place?

Well as some of you know I'm unemployed and desperately looking for a job (spending hours a day trawling through job sites etc, applying for 6-7 a week). My stepbrother has been unemployed longer than me and is applying for about one a month. He has no motivation and is just a lazy so-and-so. My stepdad just lost his job on medical grounds and is looking to find employment as soon as possible. My mum is providing for the family.

I do feel bad about this and am looking for anything. My stepbrother, who moved in with us a year ago on Friday, couldn't care a less and is just a miserable blight that is bringing everyone down. He hasn't worked and has a poor set of GCSEs because he didn't think it was a good idea to study. I have four A2's in the three sciences in maths and all passes in my GCSEs.

Yet when it comes to looking down and seeing none of us are employed, my stepdad gives us both a lecture (and tells me afterwards it's not aimed at me) about not putting the effort in, being lazy and not doing anything. Kind of a downer on me don't you think - feeling the wrath when working hard to avoid it and do domething of the situation.

Anyway, today tipped me over the edge a little and hence he title of the thread. My stepdad told me today to apply for a 4-hour a week job at the local camera shop (about £5.50 an hour or £22 a week or a £1144 salary if you like). I said I need something a bit more full time and he progressed to say beggars can't be choosers. True. However, he was the one that wanted me to leave my 20 hour a week job at GAME because it wasn't full time :S And when my mum came home she was upset because I'd applied for a porter's job at a nearby hospital that paid about £12.5k a year, saying I'm over qualified and should try and find something better.

I recounted both parents' stories in front of them and basically a huge argument broke out. My stepdad doesn't want me to go for the porter job as he'd rather see me in a camera shop for a few hours a week. My mum doesn't want me to go for it because I'm over qualified. If I don't apply for it I'mm being lazy and not working hard. But if I'm overqualified for a full-time position delivering things around hospitals, then why am I not over qualified to do a schoolchilds saturday job? Hmmm...

Yet I get this lecture whilst my stepbrother is upstairs freeloading away with no job, no motivation and spending what must be hs 8th hour today on his 360. I'm paying into the household with my savings, yet he's not.

Sadly this is life in the household and I've threatened to move in with a relative very soon. I must sound like a real jerk, but at the moment I need to escape. Any advice?
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:52
Regular
I'm sorry to hear that El Viking, I hope things inprove for him.

I read articles lately about the sudden influx of immigration, 7000+ arriving each day to work in the UK. Apparently there are loads of jobs going in the UK or maybe its just the jobs the rest of us don't want to do.

All I know is there are lots of foreigners in my little town now. I bet theirs 20 times more Polish now than Hong Kong Chinese and they've been here for decades now.

Maybe you should look for a job in Poland hippy :(
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:46
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Employment... problems coming here. It seems likely that my dad will lose his job within a month or two as the company he works for is on the rocks, and if it does survive it'll mean relocation. Which is unlikely, as he's almost 60 and to move over 200 miles for a few more years' senior management is a bit far. Much uncertain-ness of what may come here.
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:14
Regular
Oh dear, poor hippy. This is the emo step-brother right? How are you two getting along?

Well I suppose it's a good thing really as they're more concerned about you having a good future because you're full of potential unlike your step-brother upstairs playing on his xbox.

I think you should do what you want and choose the job that will help further your career. You wanted to be a GP right? They get paid so much money to search google all day ;)
Wed 02/04/08 at 18:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Having a job always seems to open up other areas, they do say it's easier to get a job when you've got one than when you haven't one.

Hey, I worked as a security officer in a hospital and I had a degree - just didn't feel right using it at the time. I had a great time and gained valuable experience - another aspect, you know - a wider appreciation of the world than just a blinkered version often held by school-college-work candidates.

I cannot comment on your home situation but I can sympathise - I was retired on ill-health grounds and we had to live for five long years on nothing compared to what we did have. But we survived and we are now as happy as 'pigs in muck'. Believe me, change is necessary and sometimes better when it is forced on you.

Take care, I'll be back shortly - got to put shopping away as 'her in doors' has just returned.
Wed 02/04/08 at 18:28
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks guys - I'm more tending to what my mum offers in terms of an opinion anyway. I know I should be doing a degree course right now and have worked hard to achieve a better future for myself.

I'm just annoyed that I seem to be getting the flak fom them for trying when my stepbrother lounges about not bothering and he gets away pretty much scott free.

I guess I'm lucky that they care for what I am doing, but it's quite down-heartening to be nagged all the time.

On the bright side, just completed an application for a dispensary assistant at the same hospital. Pays better and have quite a lot of relevant experience from my time working for a pharmacy and a dental practice!
Wed 02/04/08 at 18:11
"possibly impossible"
Do what you want to do. It's you having to work, don't let either parent pressure you.
Wed 02/04/08 at 18:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well I think it fair comment that where children are concerned, parents arent the most objective voices. Just put it all down to stress of the situation.

Seems to me you recognize the value having a job and bringing in money even if its not your first choice. I'm sure your career wont be in tatters because you spend 6 months doing a porters job while you search for something more to your liking.

And yeah, stop being a jerk. :P
Wed 02/04/08 at 17:30
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ever feel like you're between a rock and a hard place?

Well as some of you know I'm unemployed and desperately looking for a job (spending hours a day trawling through job sites etc, applying for 6-7 a week). My stepbrother has been unemployed longer than me and is applying for about one a month. He has no motivation and is just a lazy so-and-so. My stepdad just lost his job on medical grounds and is looking to find employment as soon as possible. My mum is providing for the family.

I do feel bad about this and am looking for anything. My stepbrother, who moved in with us a year ago on Friday, couldn't care a less and is just a miserable blight that is bringing everyone down. He hasn't worked and has a poor set of GCSEs because he didn't think it was a good idea to study. I have four A2's in the three sciences in maths and all passes in my GCSEs.

Yet when it comes to looking down and seeing none of us are employed, my stepdad gives us both a lecture (and tells me afterwards it's not aimed at me) about not putting the effort in, being lazy and not doing anything. Kind of a downer on me don't you think - feeling the wrath when working hard to avoid it and do domething of the situation.

Anyway, today tipped me over the edge a little and hence he title of the thread. My stepdad told me today to apply for a 4-hour a week job at the local camera shop (about £5.50 an hour or £22 a week or a £1144 salary if you like). I said I need something a bit more full time and he progressed to say beggars can't be choosers. True. However, he was the one that wanted me to leave my 20 hour a week job at GAME because it wasn't full time :S And when my mum came home she was upset because I'd applied for a porter's job at a nearby hospital that paid about £12.5k a year, saying I'm over qualified and should try and find something better.

I recounted both parents' stories in front of them and basically a huge argument broke out. My stepdad doesn't want me to go for the porter job as he'd rather see me in a camera shop for a few hours a week. My mum doesn't want me to go for it because I'm over qualified. If I don't apply for it I'mm being lazy and not working hard. But if I'm overqualified for a full-time position delivering things around hospitals, then why am I not over qualified to do a schoolchilds saturday job? Hmmm...

Yet I get this lecture whilst my stepbrother is upstairs freeloading away with no job, no motivation and spending what must be hs 8th hour today on his 360. I'm paying into the household with my savings, yet he's not.

Sadly this is life in the household and I've threatened to move in with a relative very soon. I must sound like a real jerk, but at the moment I need to escape. Any advice?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.