GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Handheld game consoles - Which one?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/04/08 at 13:41
Regular
I'm hoping to get one soon for my many travels and long stay in Singapore. The only problem is, which one do I go for? This is the last one I had, apparently you can still buy one at your local antique store.

I think my first question should be, do any of you even have one? Maybe they're old news now, or everyone just plays games on their mobiles. I've no idea, let me know what you have and share your views.

So what are the main handheld consoles now? There's the Gameboy Advance but I'm not sure if they're still making games for that. I don't really want to get something that falls in the same category as HD-DVD. I always liked the look of the SPs but the Micro looks like some cheap imitation from China.

Then there's the Nintendo DS. It seems to be selling very well so this must be the more popular handheld console. I do see tons of adverts on TV but it's mainly for those puzzle games. Is the DS just a handheld console for puzzle games? I do love puzzle games mind, it's just I wouldnt mind something else. I guess I shouldnt expect RPG games or beat 'em ups on something that has 2 screens and a pen :( I wonder if you can play GBA games on it though.

And finally the PSP, I always saw it as a mini PSOne. It's not selling as well as the DS but does have more what I would consider "normal" games (looking at their top selling titles on Amazon). Didn't it use to have it's own movie format? UMD I think it was, whatever happened with that?

So yeah as you can see I'm very ignorant when it comes to handheld consoles, could you share your knowledge and experience with me? Cheers!
Mon 21/04/08 at 08:23
Regular
"THFC"
I think i have only ever bought one UMD - all other have been downloaded.

It really is just personal opinion, but hope you enjoy which ever you choose
Sun 20/04/08 at 16:50
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I have a DS, keeps me entertained. Has the advantage of being region free as well which might be of use to you. I get most of my games from the US for it, cheaper and tend to be released earlier.
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:12
"possibly impossible"
Well, I only mentioned it because Machie said he was getting the DS first. I think that's probably the right idea for the flight.

What are the PSP prices like in Singapore, Machie? You could always get one out there as only UMD films are region coded, not the games and no-one bothers with those anyway.
Fri 04/04/08 at 14:24
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yeah its probably best if you dont buy a PSP, Machie. I dont think any of us could cope with the inevitable "I'm one of the few people to have completed FF Crisis Core" statements. ;)
Fri 04/04/08 at 13:53
"possibly impossible"
Get the DS and that card thing I linked to earlier, then you won't have to worry about the money for extra games*

*not that I'd suggest downloading any that you don't own, that would be....naughty...
Fri 04/04/08 at 12:00
Regular
Thanks guys for all the recommendations ^^ Still I could use GADs to buy the games :)

I think I might get the DS first and then a PSP. There's some really good games that I'd like to play on it. Emmie87 do you think you'll ever get a DS again?
Thu 03/04/08 at 15:06
Regular
"THFC"
oh yea! my bad.

sorry. well they only bout £120 new i think lol
well good luck choosing
Thu 03/04/08 at 12:01
"possibly impossible"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Well Amazon have a PSP and a DS both £90 pre-owned.
>
> You could work really hard and pray to GAD you win 6 times - or
> add some money to it!

Unfortunatly, I don't think Marketplace purchases can use Amazon Vouchers.
Thu 03/04/08 at 09:10
Regular
"THFC"
Well Amazon have a PSP and a DS both £90 pre-owned.

You could work really hard and pray to GAD you win 6 times - or add some money to it!

There is a website (telebid.com) which is an auctions site - in a weird way and a DS will very often sell for £30 (new and lite!)

but check the site as you can get really cheap consoles if your lucky and good with your timming. I have seen a wii go for £5, ps3 for £40, a DS for £2 - its crazy.

You have got several options and i hope which every way you choose to go you enjoy playing the games!
Thu 03/04/08 at 00:41
"possibly impossible"
DS:

The 2 Advance Wars games are great, Settlers is a classic, Elite beat Agents, WarioWare Touched, Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Tony Hawks Proving Ground, Metroid Prime, Star Fox Command, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Animal Crossing Wild World, Brain Training, Lost in Blue, Yoshi's Island DS, Worms 2, Yoshi Touch and Go, 42 All Time Classics.

PSP:
Locoroco, Patapon, God of War, Ape Academy, Wipeout Pure/pulse, GTA:LCS or the second one, Killzone, Everybody's Golf, Ridge Racer, Burnout, Virtua Tennis, Lumines.

I'm sure I've forgotton some.

Also: Internet works well on both DS and PSP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.