GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Handheld game consoles - Which one?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/04/08 at 13:41
Regular
I'm hoping to get one soon for my many travels and long stay in Singapore. The only problem is, which one do I go for? This is the last one I had, apparently you can still buy one at your local antique store.

I think my first question should be, do any of you even have one? Maybe they're old news now, or everyone just plays games on their mobiles. I've no idea, let me know what you have and share your views.

So what are the main handheld consoles now? There's the Gameboy Advance but I'm not sure if they're still making games for that. I don't really want to get something that falls in the same category as HD-DVD. I always liked the look of the SPs but the Micro looks like some cheap imitation from China.

Then there's the Nintendo DS. It seems to be selling very well so this must be the more popular handheld console. I do see tons of adverts on TV but it's mainly for those puzzle games. Is the DS just a handheld console for puzzle games? I do love puzzle games mind, it's just I wouldnt mind something else. I guess I shouldnt expect RPG games or beat 'em ups on something that has 2 screens and a pen :( I wonder if you can play GBA games on it though.

And finally the PSP, I always saw it as a mini PSOne. It's not selling as well as the DS but does have more what I would consider "normal" games (looking at their top selling titles on Amazon). Didn't it use to have it's own movie format? UMD I think it was, whatever happened with that?

So yeah as you can see I'm very ignorant when it comes to handheld consoles, could you share your knowledge and experience with me? Cheers!
Wed 02/04/08 at 13:41
Regular
I'm hoping to get one soon for my many travels and long stay in Singapore. The only problem is, which one do I go for? This is the last one I had, apparently you can still buy one at your local antique store.

I think my first question should be, do any of you even have one? Maybe they're old news now, or everyone just plays games on their mobiles. I've no idea, let me know what you have and share your views.

So what are the main handheld consoles now? There's the Gameboy Advance but I'm not sure if they're still making games for that. I don't really want to get something that falls in the same category as HD-DVD. I always liked the look of the SPs but the Micro looks like some cheap imitation from China.

Then there's the Nintendo DS. It seems to be selling very well so this must be the more popular handheld console. I do see tons of adverts on TV but it's mainly for those puzzle games. Is the DS just a handheld console for puzzle games? I do love puzzle games mind, it's just I wouldnt mind something else. I guess I shouldnt expect RPG games or beat 'em ups on something that has 2 screens and a pen :( I wonder if you can play GBA games on it though.

And finally the PSP, I always saw it as a mini PSOne. It's not selling as well as the DS but does have more what I would consider "normal" games (looking at their top selling titles on Amazon). Didn't it use to have it's own movie format? UMD I think it was, whatever happened with that?

So yeah as you can see I'm very ignorant when it comes to handheld consoles, could you share your knowledge and experience with me? Cheers!
Wed 02/04/08 at 14:10
Regular
"Mooching around"
UMD died because it was irrelevant, imagine having an ipod, and Apple tell you to watch a film on it, you have to buy a nice extra little disc instead of just downloading it.

It was silly idea.
Wed 02/04/08 at 14:16
Regular
I totally recommend buying a DS (lite) which has loaads of great games, such as Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass which is brilliant.

I would say that the DS is your best bet without a doubt, but then I haven't used a PSP, which you can play films on unlike the DS.
Wed 02/04/08 at 14:18
Regular
"THFC"
Well - the DS is a fun handheld console - with add ons avaliable to go on the internet. The stylus makes it interactive, games like Pokemon, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy. Make it a strong console. Plus you can play old games on them aswell.

The PSP - has more adult games, God of War, GTA, Final Fantasy 7-crisis Core. I love my PSP, i got a 4gb memory stick off ebay for like £15 - i download and put movies on it(you can put music on it). If you have a Ps3 then you can put your games your download from the playstation store onto it.
It is more of a travel device in the sense of watching movie, listening to music, looking at photos, going on the interent, playing games.

If your smart enough you can put emulators onto your PSP - allowing you to play any Ps1 games, SNES,NES etc etc
i am not smart enough lol but i wish i could. I would have Suikoden in an instant!

Do you like Sony or Nintendo. You can pick them both up at a good price. maybe look at getting both pre-owned. I had a DS but sold it, i wish i had it now because of some good games which have come out since.

But the PSP is very useful when traveling.

hope that helps
Wed 02/04/08 at 14:22
"possibly impossible"
I have both. No surprises there, really.

The DS has many games, strategy (Age of Empires, Settlers II etc), Driving (Mario Kart, Burnout, Asphalt, a TOCA clone) as well as fighting, arcade, shooting, FPS and, yes, puzzle games. But the beauty is that it has Nintendo games. It has a fair few 'adult' games too, the new Advance Wars for instance, but these are often overshadowed by the cuter looking games (though half of these are not really kids games)

It also helps if you buy one of these . as you can then have as many games as you can fit on a Micro SD card (ie lots). You can also have SNES, Master System and Megadrive emulators on it.

The DS can also play GBA games, which means that there's a huge back catalogue, though you don't really need it with the mass of games available.

The PSP is technically great, being almost a PS2 in a small box. It has GTA, Locoroco, God of War, Killzone and many other instant classics, but, other than a few games, it's not really any digression from the standard sort of games you find on the PS1/PS2. It also has the benefit of playing MP3 and MP4 (video) files and the lovely clear widescreen is perfect for watching movies stored on memory stick (even if the 4 hour battery life isn't). The new PSP slim even connects to the TV.

Both of the consoles can be used as internet browsers as well, the PSP out of the box and the DS with an adaptor, though the DS doesn't like more secure networks and the PSP doesn't have a decent keyboard system, where as the DS can use a touchpad keyboard that pops up on the screen.

Bear in mind that it's a lot harder to hack the new PSP consoles than the earlier ones, so if you want to go down that route it's best to get a pre-hacked one on Ebay (look for Firmware 1.5 in the description).

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself the following 3 questions:

1) What sort of games do you like?
Are you a fan of Nintendo or Sony games more?
If not either, then what sort of games do you like in general.

2) Do you want to watch movies?
The PSP is the only real option here, though the DS with the DS Real cartridge can also be used to watch films. Bear in mind that you'd have to shell out for the PSP's Memory Stick with at least a 4GB capacity to store a couple of films in decent quality.

3) Is battery life important?
The DS wins hands down here, especially on long plane journeys, but if you have access to a power socket or can afford a spare battery you can get around the PSP's short battery life.
Wed 02/04/08 at 16:48
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I think both have their respective merits, but I love my PSP (although the only game I play on it is the Football Manager game I got for £4 ages ago). I mainly use my PSP for music and company even check my e-mail when I can't be bothered to start up my laptop.

Up to you as they are very different consoles - think long and hard and do your research to be sure you make the right choice.
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:08
Regular
Wow! Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it :D 50 points awarded to Gryffindor!

Hmm unfortunately it looks like I'm still going to have to think about this one. You're right, they more different than I thought and each have their own merits.

Originally I wanted something to play games on, you know pass the time on flights or at the airport but the idea of watching movies and using the internet sounds much more appealing.

I love Emmie87 suggestion about getting them both preowned and just like pb enjoying what both have to offer but I might not have enough :(

I guess with the wider screen it's much easier to browse the internet. How have you found using the internet on the PSP hippy, any good? (or anyone else) Especially without a good keyboard system like pb said?

I'm leaning more to the PSP but then Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass is very tempting and it would be nice to play games on the MRT :)

LOL I'll have to keep thinking about it. Or try and win a GAD or two ;)

The game prices are relatively the same right?
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:23
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'd pretty much go with what pb said. I've got a DS and a PSP and I play far more games for the DS than I do for the PSP and I would say that the DS has a better selection of games overall. That's not to say that the PSP doesn't have good games, because it does.

The PSP is probably easier to use a utility rather than a games machine as it has a variety of options. The battery life is a concern but I would think that's the case with any handheld device, especially if you can't charge it up.

It depends on what you want it for really.
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:44
Regular
So it's similiar to a Wii and a PS3? Gaming for the Wii, Blu-ray and internet for the PS3.

If I did get a DS for the games, are there any you'd recommend GP (or anyone)? Apart from the puzzle games, I already know they're good :) although I did hear some rants about the games not recognising handwriting so well? GP I'm sure you're still getting your moneys worth out of some good GBA games, right? :)
Wed 02/04/08 at 21:56
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Hmmm, DS games. Mario Kart is, well, Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros is fairly old school Mario. You can also get Mario 64 for the DS if you ever owned an N64. The Sonic Rush games are good but then I would say that. Zelda obviously and Yoshi's Island is good and pretty challenging if you are a completionist. Hotel Dusk is like a good detective story.

I've not had much trouble with the handwriting but I'm quite careful. I skipped the GBA so I don't have any games for it. If I did, I'm sure they would get plenty of use. I've played some GBA games on my PC but that's a different story. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.