GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Here's something to make you think!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/06/02 at 16:31
Regular
By inventing a Timemachine you immediately become the inventor of everything that came before it....
Thu 20/06/02 at 11:24
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Yep - That's what I thought, so there will be no meeting yourself at different ages because the person is on the ship all the time. As you say YH they will still meet up at the same time in the furture but will have aged differently, nothing else will change.

My head hurts - I think I need some Nurofen.
Thu 20/06/02 at 11:17
Regular
He hasn't gone back in time. But time has slowed down for him.

So, relative (and that's what it's all about) to the person who stayed on earth, time has gone slower.
Thu 20/06/02 at 11:06
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
The spaceship thing doesn't make sense or I'm thick or both.

Surely the person on the ship has not gone back in time, he's still going forward ?
Thu 20/06/02 at 10:57
Regular
The fact is that there may well be people from the future here, but we've locked them up in mental asylums.

As for the 2 people, one stays on earth one goes off on a spaceship thingy, surely their bodies will both age at the same rate. So although it will seem that the person who went on the spaceship has only experienced 5 years, (as in Venoms example), the body will still have aged at the same rate as the person on earth.

So their bodies will both have aged 25 years. The person who went on the spaceship will have experienced a rapid shortening of their life. See?
Thu 20/06/02 at 10:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
If time travel is impossible them how do you explain the Terminator movies? Proof enough methinks.

Anyway, I think that Prof Hawkings said that timetravel IS possible but only on the event horizon of a black hole and is unadvisable. The event horizon (I think is the term I may be wrong) is the "boundary" at which a black hole no longers exerts enough gravitational pull to "attract" light, but distorts it's properties.

At these horizons it is possible to enter a space time paradox where one finds themselves continuosly looping between past, present and future time (all relative off course) within the horizon. For infinity (or until the end of the universe!!).

Not reccommended. You should probably read one of his books on the subject as he appears to know slightly more about it than i do........

The only real realistic time-travel possible is forwards, similar in style to Fry's travel in Futurama.

When technology allows us to suspend our life functions and restore them when we see fit; the dilema will be to stay in the present or wait for the future (if there is one). This could open up all sorts of conundrums.....
Thu 20/06/02 at 00:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm actually from the future
Wed 19/06/02 at 23:34
Regular
"smile, it's free"
To try to clarify... one of the two sides of the wormhole may well be twenty years younger than the other - but the Earth it transports you to is not.
Wed 19/06/02 at 23:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
cookiemonster,

The theory you put forward there is quite well known. However, despite the backing it may have, I disagree with it.

Time is relative, and to see this problem properly you have to use an absolute frame or reference.

Time may pass faster on the Earth than the ship, but both move forwards in time. travelling between the wormoles at any point will transport you to the same instance in time on the other side as seen from the absolute reference.

eg, suppose one side ages 5x faster than the other.

A B
1 5
2 10
3 15
4 20
5 25

Assume A is the ship, and B the Earth.

From the point of view of the Earth, those 5 years for the ship ARE 25 years. 2025 will still be 2025, regardless of whether you start there, or get there throught the wormhole.

From the point of view of the spaceship, five years have passed - but this DOES NOT mean only five years have passed on the other side of the wormhole - it is 25. There is no '-20' year difference.

The two sides are never the same age. Age is relative, so at no point can you say that the same number of years have passed on each side of the wormhole - therefore even if one side is younger, it cannot transport you back in time.

Anyone understand that?

If not, say so and I'll try to explain it a little better tomorrow. But only if you understand the argument cookie monster quoted in the first place ;)
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:26
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If time travel to the past is ever to be possible why haven't we seen anyone from the future yet, hey?
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Picture two people, person A and person B. Person A stays on Earth, while person B takes off in a spacecraft. At takeoff, their watches are in perfect sync. The closer person B's spacecraft travels to the speed of light, the slower time will pass for person B (relative to person A). If person B travels for just a few hours at 50 percent the speed of light and returns to Earth, it will be obvious to both people that person A has aged much faster than person B. This difference in ageing is because time passed much faster for person A than person B, who was travelling closer to the speed of light. Many years might have passed for person A, while person B experienced a time lapse of just a few hours.

If wormholes could be discovered, it might allow us to travel to the past as well as the future. Here's how it would work: Let's say the mouth of the wormhole is portable. Then person B in the example above, who travelled at 50 percent of light speed into space for a few hours, could carry one wormhole mouth into space, while the mouth at the opposite end of the wormhole would stay with person A on Earth. The two people would continue to see one another as person B travelled into space. When person B returned to Earth a few hours later, a few years may have passed for person A. Now, when person A looks through the wormhole that travelled into space, that person will see him or herself at a younger age, the age he or she was when person B launched into space. The cool thing about it is that the older person A would be able to step into the past by entering the wormhole while the younger person B could step into the future.

Courtesy of howstuffworks.com

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.