GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"General SSBM advice desperately needed!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 11:02
Regular
I've owned SSBM since last Friday and have played it at every possible chance. However, truth is, I trully stink at this game!!
To add insult to injury, I've recently signed up for an SSBM tourney at my local games shop and I really need to work on my game.

Any generaly tips/advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated! Who's the best character to use? I'm quite good at using Bowser or Samus. Are they good choices? HELP ME...PLEASE!!!
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:02
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I've owned SSBM since last Friday and have played it at every possible chance. However, truth is, I trully stink at this game!!
To add insult to injury, I've recently signed up for an SSBM tourney at my local games shop and I really need to work on my game.

Any generaly tips/advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated! Who's the best character to use? I'm quite good at using Bowser or Samus. Are they good choices? HELP ME...PLEASE!!!
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:07
Regular
er...... Use Samus
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:24
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Find a character that you are fairly good with, but if your not great with anyone then there is another solution. Just rely on the items that fall, make sure you get them and you will soon whoop some butt! :)
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:37
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
How about choosing a character that is quite fast, and has a good chance of getting multile hits in (someone like fox) Just hammer 'a' and your oppponents will hover in the air as they are getting hit, then do a smash attack on them.

Alernatively, use Link. Whilst in the air, hold down + 'a' to do an absolutely devastating attack, that if you land correctly on them, keeps hitting them two or three times more.

Hope it helps.
Thu 06/06/02 at 12:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I wouldnt use Bowser he is a walking target. I would use Samus or Link. Although Mewtwo is also really good, his throw is a killer.
Thu 06/06/02 at 12:56
Regular
"You've upset me"
Link is one of the best people for getting people out with. The down+a in the air one is good, but if someone is on a platform above you, jumping then up+a in the air is even more devastating.

Use is a good choice she's got well balanced moves and has a perfect shield if in trouble (Jump then down+B, just keep doing it until you're out of the woods!) and her screw attack (ooerr...) up+B is excellent for scoring lots of hits fast. Use it in conjunction with her up+A smash that'll keep them in the air as soon as the flames are finished, hit Up+B, then, when they come down from THAT perform a sideways smash. Works neary every time for me.

Out of the original characters I think Mario, Samus, Captain Falcon and Pikachu are the best. Pikachu is light but very quick and his moves are sometimes devastating (esecially the down+B thunder attack) and other times pretty damn strong (down+A smash attack) Also his quick attack (Up+B then another dirction) is excellent for getting back onto safe land when knocked off. Try and master it in Training it's incredibly useful.

Mario is decent all round, not too light so he can be knocked off too easily but nott too heavy to make him slow. His up+B coin uppercut thingy is very good for taking off lots of damage quickly and the Mario tornado (down+B) is excellent, make sure you nail the character with the final bit of it throw, when he throws his arms out and shouts "WAH!" as that is very strong. All his smashes are strong aswell and he even has a meteor smash! The Up+A smash is probably his strongest. The only disadvantage to Mario however is that it's not that easy to make it back onto the platform if and when you're knocked off.

Captain Falcon is very strong and not easy to knock off. His Falcon Punch (B) is one of the strongest moves out of the original 14 characters and is the best way to eliminate someone from the stage. Watch out though as while charging it up, he is vunerable. His Smash+B move that rockets people up in the air is good for buying a bit of time to charge up the Falcon Punch and can knock people off the stage if their percentage is high eenough. The Falcon Kick (down+B) can be directed anyway, and it is a good move for getting people out of the way. Even when standing on the ground hitting down+B then holding sideways sends him flying across the ground and is actually more effective than using it in mid air. His Up+B move is excellent for using on people in mid air. If they're just returning to the stage from a previous knockout attempt, jump up to them, hit up+B and watch them fly. This is also the best move for getting back onto the platform after being knocked off. Also, his A° move is an excellent combo and A,A,A is an excellent way to knock people off the stage. The last hit of that is a devastating knee drive that more often than not sends characters flying.

Other than that, all I can say is keep practicing! Find a character you're good with and can make combos with, go into training mode and just practice! Doing a Vs match against the computer player that has a level of 3 or higher is a fantastic way to practice as they're not too difficult but not too easy to beat. and remember, as soon as your or their percentage is over 100, you're in Smash Country. Watch out for smashes on you and smash other's with 100% or more at every oppurtunity.

Good luck!
Thu 06/06/02 at 12:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Use Samus, she is a good

that was supposed to say.
Thu 06/06/02 at 12:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
cookie monster wrote:
> I wouldnt use Bowser he is a walking target. I would use Samus or
> Link. Although Mewtwo is also really good, his throw is a killer.

His disable move is excellent. I charge up a Shadow Ball thingy then when it's at it's biggest, hit sideways to send him into a dodge, as soon as the character turns around I hit the Disable move then I release the shadow ball. Sends 'em rocketing every single time.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> I wouldnt use Bowser he is a walking target. I would use Samus or
> Link. Although Mewtwo is also really good, his throw is a killer.
>
> His disable move is excellent. I charge up a Shadow Ball thingy then
> when it's at it's biggest, hit sideways to send him into a dodge, as
> soon as the character turns around I hit the Disable move then I
> release the shadow ball. Sends 'em rocketing every single time.

Yep, and he has that move where he psychic grabs the opponent and hits them with purple bits, it can be repeated forever.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:08
Regular
"You've upset me"
My fingers hurt after typing all that :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.