GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendos Image"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 16:56
Regular
With the GC now out, and gamers with more choice than ever over which console to buy, or not to buy, it seems Nintendo are trying to re-invent their image a bit. All the new ads, games and style are all very well, but it has not convinced a lot of my friends. They still se the Playstation (1 & 2) as being a 'cool' console, as they have extreme sports games on them. Now that the GC does as well, it is not as desirable to these people - Why?

Most of the time, games like THPS3 on the PS2 are ported to the GC and improved, but this still does not convince people that Nintendo are for 'mature' gamers as well. The media does not help either. Numerous articles say a brief piece about 'Nintendo, traditionaly a childs company, are not really seen as competition to Microsoft and Sony' This kind of quote is both ridiculous and mis-leading. Not only are Nintendo competing, producing more mature titles, they also laid the groundwork for Sony and Microsofts entry to the console world - If Sega and Nintendo had not made successful consoles, would we have the PS2 and XBox today?

Back to my point of 'image'. I think Nintendos image problem comes from 'cartoony' (I disagree with that term completely) games - Mario, Zelda et al. Some of my friends say they are not good because of what they look like - Nintendo games have been bracketed into a group and will not get out of it very easily. You see a line up on the GC of Luigis Mansion, Pikmin, etc, next to THPS3, DMBMX2 and games like Burnout - 'Cool games' but this still does not seem to sway potential buyers. This is crazy. PS2 and XBox owners seem to be content with their (good yes) consoles, because Nintendo are not 'cool' - They are missing out on an excellent choice of games there, and it is a shame, all because they have an image of 5 years ago still in their heads.

Of course, this does not apply to everybody, only 'potential customers' really, and it is a great shame that they are missing out on a company that, that which, if it had never existed, would have meant a much poorer choice of games available today.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 08/05/02 at 16:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
With the GC now out, and gamers with more choice than ever over which console to buy, or not to buy, it seems Nintendo are trying to re-invent their image a bit. All the new ads, games and style are all very well, but it has not convinced a lot of my friends. They still se the Playstation (1 & 2) as being a 'cool' console, as they have extreme sports games on them. Now that the GC does as well, it is not as desirable to these people - Why?

Most of the time, games like THPS3 on the PS2 are ported to the GC and improved, but this still does not convince people that Nintendo are for 'mature' gamers as well. The media does not help either. Numerous articles say a brief piece about 'Nintendo, traditionaly a childs company, are not really seen as competition to Microsoft and Sony' This kind of quote is both ridiculous and mis-leading. Not only are Nintendo competing, producing more mature titles, they also laid the groundwork for Sony and Microsofts entry to the console world - If Sega and Nintendo had not made successful consoles, would we have the PS2 and XBox today?

Back to my point of 'image'. I think Nintendos image problem comes from 'cartoony' (I disagree with that term completely) games - Mario, Zelda et al. Some of my friends say they are not good because of what they look like - Nintendo games have been bracketed into a group and will not get out of it very easily. You see a line up on the GC of Luigis Mansion, Pikmin, etc, next to THPS3, DMBMX2 and games like Burnout - 'Cool games' but this still does not seem to sway potential buyers. This is crazy. PS2 and XBox owners seem to be content with their (good yes) consoles, because Nintendo are not 'cool' - They are missing out on an excellent choice of games there, and it is a shame, all because they have an image of 5 years ago still in their heads.

Of course, this does not apply to everybody, only 'potential customers' really, and it is a great shame that they are missing out on a company that, that which, if it had never existed, would have meant a much poorer choice of games available today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.