GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"700 Brits quit the UK every day"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/08 at 23:09
Regular
I did a post about this before, though I didnt realise how many people were actually leaving the UK. 700 a day is a lot. Most are heading for Australia which is no surprise for me as 2 of my 4 cousins now live out there and they're on either side of my family (and Australia for that matter). They love it there and have no intension of coming back.

Even though there's only a handful of us left on Freeola there's still a couple of us who talk freely about are desires to quit the UK. Kawada can't wait to get his one way ticket outta here and even pb is keen to leave sunny old Devon for even sunnier Spain.

Me, I've been waiting a very long time to get back on a plane and head back to Singapore. I haven't mentioned it but my girlfriend has been living here for almost 5 months now. Things have been going great and I'd like to live out there now. Though to be honest I don't think I could ever fully quit the UK. I love being English, I do love England. I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing. For me the nicer weather is a bonus, I'm sure thanks to global warming the UK will become a hot country like Spain anyway so you need more than just "the weather" to quit the UK.

Things are different since my last thread about this topic. We've had a huge influx of Polish, even in my little town. While 700 might quit the UK I'm sure they'll be easily replaced by Polish and other immigrants. It's a shame that a lot are sending money home instead of keeping it in the UK. That's hardly going to help our economy or Polands if all the men leave to work in the UK. I'm starting to think Garins idea of joining the EU wasn't such a great idea after all. :(

So maybe it's the right time to jump ship and find a nice new home. Thanks to the internet and cheaper flights it's never been easier to pack up and move to a new country and still stay in touch with the old country.

So have any of the rest of you thought about quitting the UK? Or do you see yourself staying firmly rooted here until the day you die?
Sat 02/02/08 at 19:38
Regular
No, I need to be somewhere warm. I heard people can die from the cold just crossing the street if inappropriately dressed in Canada.
Has to be Tenerife for me.
Sat 02/02/08 at 15:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I did, Toronto is a very beautiful city and was alot of fun when i lived there, it'd be a great place to retire especially as it's only a stone's throw away from New York as well.
Sat 02/02/08 at 14:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> Sorry guys, Garin has a habit of doing this, just ignore him
> until he has something a little more constructive to say than
> 'you're all a bunch of whiners'. ;)

I did have something constructive to say, I wrote whole paragraphs. But after I write a post I tend to try to optimise it. After I was finished I ended up with "you're all a bunch of whiners". Only a few words but alot of thought went into it. :P
Sat 02/02/08 at 12:15
"Was the man of marz"
Machie wrote:
> I've not been to Canada before but I've only heard good things.
> I can't remember if Kawada said he wanted to retire in Canada as
> well so it must be good.

My dad immigrated there (with his family) when he was a kid, and eventually came back. I think it's a beautiful country, with a good quality of life, but there's the american influence which probably would bother me. Also my father wasn't very complimentary on the french speaking canadians you find in Quebec and other places, which not many english men are, but the possible language barrier is another factor. My dads family still live in north america, and I know my little cousin has learnt french, as his mother was worried about job prospects.
Sat 02/02/08 at 09:52
Regular
Canada top retirement destination for British: survey

I've not been to Canada before but I've only heard good things. I can't remember if Kawada said he wanted to retire in Canada as well so it must be good.
Sat 02/02/08 at 09:45
Regular
Sorry guys, Garin has a habit of doing this, just ignore him until he has something a little more constructive to say than 'you're all a bunch of whiners'. ;)
Fri 01/02/08 at 21:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
On the basis of this thread, I think the biggest problem with the UK is too many people whining about how bad it is.
Fri 01/02/08 at 19:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I've watched this country go down the pan for 50 years now and we're still here.

Every day I would leave given the slightest opportunity - it doesn't matter about family, just your closest - so take them with you or at least give them the option to go or to stay.

New Zealand would be our ideal resting place and maybe, within the next 10 years, we will be there.
Fri 01/02/08 at 19:03
Regular
We're in the process of selling our property in southern England and we hope some time in the future to live in Tenerife. This country is going right down the pan!
Fri 01/02/08 at 17:19
"Was the man of marz"
Kawada wrote:
> Can fully understand why there's so many people leaving though.

Same here, quality of life is decreasing, and no sooner than immigration is mentioned, your branded a racist. Honestly, I couldn't care less about how much foreign workers generate for the economy, it's more about how they live and act when they are over here. If you’re being honest, it is only the minority whom take the opportunities britain offers, it seems like the majority want the same lifestyle they had back home. Britons do the same abroad, it's just pants when it is in your neighbour hood.

I've wanted to move to the republic of ireland for a while, and might eventually. It is just a bit risky to move when you have no job lined up, not to mention leaving your friends, and family (although mine are fairly scattered anyway). Probably after further visits, to see if everyone is as friendly as they come across, then I'll make it. I’m not positive about the best areas though, as dublin has more jobs, but county cork seems to have less crime. The major thing that does worry me is that british bit attached to the north.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.