GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"700 Brits quit the UK every day"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/08 at 23:09
Regular
I did a post about this before, though I didnt realise how many people were actually leaving the UK. 700 a day is a lot. Most are heading for Australia which is no surprise for me as 2 of my 4 cousins now live out there and they're on either side of my family (and Australia for that matter). They love it there and have no intension of coming back.

Even though there's only a handful of us left on Freeola there's still a couple of us who talk freely about are desires to quit the UK. Kawada can't wait to get his one way ticket outta here and even pb is keen to leave sunny old Devon for even sunnier Spain.

Me, I've been waiting a very long time to get back on a plane and head back to Singapore. I haven't mentioned it but my girlfriend has been living here for almost 5 months now. Things have been going great and I'd like to live out there now. Though to be honest I don't think I could ever fully quit the UK. I love being English, I do love England. I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing. For me the nicer weather is a bonus, I'm sure thanks to global warming the UK will become a hot country like Spain anyway so you need more than just "the weather" to quit the UK.

Things are different since my last thread about this topic. We've had a huge influx of Polish, even in my little town. While 700 might quit the UK I'm sure they'll be easily replaced by Polish and other immigrants. It's a shame that a lot are sending money home instead of keeping it in the UK. That's hardly going to help our economy or Polands if all the men leave to work in the UK. I'm starting to think Garins idea of joining the EU wasn't such a great idea after all. :(

So maybe it's the right time to jump ship and find a nice new home. Thanks to the internet and cheaper flights it's never been easier to pack up and move to a new country and still stay in touch with the old country.

So have any of the rest of you thought about quitting the UK? Or do you see yourself staying firmly rooted here until the day you die?
Mon 18/02/08 at 19:53
Regular
Coo Coo wrote:
> Pft. You don't deserve any of it.

You're right! I think I'll give it to you.
Mon 18/02/08 at 18:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Marzman wrote:
> blondi7 wrote:
> Why are so many brits leaving? Sorry to ask a stupid question
> but unfortunately I'm American (hate to admit it) but was
> thinking of moving to Britian; however, don't think I want to
> move somewhere if everyone else is leaving. Please let me know
> since I thought things were better there than over here.
>
> Things are better in the UK than America (but not by a lot).
> One big difference is that most problems surround faith and not
> race, but just don't expect a high quality of living.

Too right, most of us work at it but don't quite achieve what we see available across the 'pond'.
Sun 17/02/08 at 22:47
"Was the man of marz"
> blondi7 wrote:

Things are better in the UK than America (but not by a lot). One big difference is that most problems surround faith and not race, but just don't expect a high quality of living.
Sun 17/02/08 at 19:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
blondi7 wrote:
>
> Best to all!

Don't you worry, migrate.
A minority are leaving and the majority of those are trying to live in places they go to every year on holiday for two weeks and think it's great!!
They go with the memories of their last two weeks and think it lasts all year. It doesn't.
They move and what do they do when their resort closes for the 'winter'?
The locals have problems answering the same question! And the 'winter' is long and without employment.
Blondi7, I've Greek friends born and living on a Greek island. During the 'winter'there is no work - they take the ferry to Athens to find work. Others work on this Greek island and then return home to Northern Greece to their home.
We would all like to 'live' where we 'holiday' but not many people put any thought into what it may be like!
Wife's aunt moved to Southern Spain 12 yrs ago - husband died within first 2 yrs, remarried another expat and he died within 2 years, car crash! She's had no end of problems.
She and her first husband were living a dream - British Steel redundancy and a M&S Pension - go and live where we always go!
Went pear-shaped - she's stuck - can't come back and can't afford to live there.
We would all like to live where we 'holiday' but don't forget Nirvana doesn't last for ever.

PS How 'old' are you Alfonse?
A property worth half a million is worth nothing these days - £500,000 - perhaps a 4 bed detached in suburbia if that? - nothing worth crowing about. When you 'own' a house and/or have one that's mortgaged plus the regular outgoing monthly bills then you may realise how crase your statement is.
Sun 17/02/08 at 17:09
Regular
"cachoo"
Pft. You don't deserve any of it.
Sun 17/02/08 at 17:01
Regular
Yeah, exactly.
Sun 17/02/08 at 16:07
Regular
"Twenty quid."
That's nice, already planning what you're going to do when your parents die.
Sun 17/02/08 at 16:02
Regular
My house is worth almost half a million and we actually own it ^-^ It's a total crap stack aswell

My inheritance should be enough to get me out of this crappy country when I'm older though =)
Sun 17/02/08 at 12:28
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think we'll leave in the next few years the main thing is property prices.

When we go abroad on holiday we look at how much it costs to live there and in say Tenerife for the price of our 2 bed semi we can get a 4 bedroom villa with a shared pool and gym etc.

Whilst I'd like to stay here there are too many negatives outweighing the positives nowadays.
Sun 17/02/08 at 06:52
Regular
Why are so many brits leaving? Sorry to ask a stupid question but unfortunately I'm American (hate to admit it) but was thinking of moving to Britian; however, don't think I want to move somewhere if everyone else is leaving. Please let me know since I thought things were better there than over here.

Best to all!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.