GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/08 at 08:04
Regular
"the Great"
So who out there has brought a hd dvd or bluray player?
Which do you think will win the war?
Which has the best movies?
Will Sony idea of putting bluray into PS3 have an impact?

as far as im concerned i think im gona wait before i purchase a player, i love to watch hd content but dont want to waste money on a machine that may soon become obsolete.

i looked at a few sales figures and in the uk and hd-dvd seems to be out selling blu-ray, but its a different story in the usa.

sony putting a bluray in ps3 seems a sensible idea, if microsoft had put hd dvd into the 360 at launch this war would proberbly not be happening as hd dvd would of had a massive head start time wise, but as standalone players come down in price the fact the ps3 has a built in player will become irrelevant. hd dvd players are cheaper at the moment with bluray costing around £100 more for the cheaper units on the market

hd-dvd is cheaper to produce but blu-ray seems to be the better technology, its is capable of storing 25gb of data on a single layer with a theoretical space for upto 8 layers, thats 200gb of storage. this has not yet been achieved but sont think it is possible, as for hd-dvd it stores 15gb per layer as is theoretically capable of holding 4 layers which is a maximum of 60gb, which is plenty for now

i would like to see blu-ray win, with its thin layers and larger capacity but not using it now, the lower storage of hd-dvd may become and issue a start a new format war so i would rather skip that and go for the better tech now, but from my past experience its not the better format that wins, its the cheaper (vhs over betamax, dvd-r over dvd+r).

so what do you people think????
Sun 17/02/08 at 20:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm interested in the difference between HD-Ready and full HD. I'm assuming it's something to do with the resolution.
Sun 17/02/08 at 20:00
Regular
Oh sorry pb I didn't know :D now I can complain to you about the Reuters websites reloading itself every other minute, it's annoying when I leave it open. :(

Our new TV is "HD ready" and cost £350. We haven't been able to use it's HD capabilities yet though. When can we get HD on Freeview?

We did get it during a sale so I'm not sure how much they go for at the moment.

I'm sure prices will keep coming down, I saw a DVD player for £16.95 the other day, I wonder if blu-ray players will end up being cheaper than blu-ray discs eventually.
Sun 17/02/08 at 19:53
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> Currys have already stopped selling non-HD and others are
> following suit. 2008 is set to be the year HD is finally the
> norm for new equipment (as the CES show attested)

Yep and once HD is the norm, the price will have to come down sharply because a lot of people cant or wont spend £600 upwards on a TV. It'll be a tiered price-drop, intime for the digital TV uptake at the end of 2009.
Sun 17/02/08 at 19:41
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
> DVD's are 7GB capacity i think. Blu-Ray is around 50GB.
> The format war is over but for the majority of people i dont
> think it matters. It's only the technophiles and rich who have
> upgraded to HD-TV's and Blu-Ray. Everyone else is perfectly happy
> with DVD's. My TV is dying but I wont be upgrading until this
> two-tier system is gone. By that i mean ordinary vs HD.

Currys have already stopped selling non-HD and others are following suit. 2008 is set to be the year HD is finally the norm for new equipment (as the CES show attested)
Sun 17/02/08 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> Toshiba
> to give up on HD DVD, end format war: source

>
> How reliable are Reuters Garin?
> I'm gonna call this
> war finally OVER!
Woo!

Surely you should be asking me, as I work there :)

Reuters are one of the largest independent and impartial news and finance agencies in the world, supplying news to many of the largest media companies, so what they say carries a lot of weight. Sorry, just rubbing it in!
Sat 16/02/08 at 15:38
Sat 16/02/08 at 11:41
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
Oh and I think most of the old TV's (Non-HD) have been sold to Supermarkets and cheap shops like that. HD TV's and HD films will only come down in price when thay are end of life products or as sales increase bringing down production costs (Economies of Scale).
Sat 16/02/08 at 11:37
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
I'm not rich, I'm not even well off. But I love my technolodgy and films so I own a Pioneer HD 43" Plasma which went on my credit card a year and a half ago. I've hardly paid any intrest on this because I balance transfered it to a 0% credit card.

I've just finished paying it off, I also got a free PS3 by upgrading my mobile through Dialaphone where I had to pay for a cheap motorola but then sold the motorola for more than I paid for it on Amazon's website.

I currently have 5 Blu-Ray films, which are all amazing! Unfortunatly I'm really disapointed with the PS3 itself and only own 1 game (Formula 1). I'd rather buy games for my Xbox 360, than PS3.

I'm hoping some better exclusive games will come out on PS3 then I may buy more. My Girlfriend say's "If your not using it why don't you sell the PS3?", I'll never sell it because Sony got one thing right, Blu-Ray. It's Amazing.
Fri 15/02/08 at 18:37
Regular
"Monochromatic"
It's not put me off because Blu-Ray drives are backwards compatable with DVD. I dont see the point of upgrading my entire DVD collection just because the image is a little sharper anyway. I'll continue buying DVD's until they stop making them.
Fri 15/02/08 at 18:17
Regular
I'm happy with DVD but I don't want to buy anything new as I feel Im wasting my money if I dont get it on a better format. Like right now I'm keen to get the Indiana Jones boxset (because of the new movie) but it's going to look so good in high definition. So I end up waiting.

Now the format war is coming to an end Im hoping prices will eventually come down and we can all start buying one format. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.