GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best way to 'retire' email address"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/09/15 at 20:19
Regular
Hi,

What's the best way to retire an email address that's in circulation?

I need to take some out and update others.

Thanks,

Neil
Thu 24/09/15 at 15:50
Regular
Thanks.

N.
Thu 24/09/15 at 08:36
Regular
"I like turtles"
This is how I did it:

In My Freeola I selected my effected address and marked it so all mail is forwarded straight to my Gmail account (I don't bother with EmailPro anymore).

I then put the settings for this Gmail account into Thunderbird so these mails can be retrieved from my desktop.

That's it basically!, not very technical but once up and running it seems to work great.

Then comes the initial learning phase, Gmail has not let 1 single spam mail through (even highlighted the trojan attachments from within the spam folder) but what it has done as I mentioned yesterday is flagged a couple of non-spam mails which you have to then manually select as 'not spam' so they will come through OK from these senders in the future. The manual re-flagging thing will move these mails to your Gmail inbox but it will not forward them onto Thunderbird, if you want to do this you will need to forward these mails manually. I have noticed emails sent from disposable addresses can sometimes initially be mistaken as spam by Gmail ([email protected] etc.) so keep an eye out for those. After the initial couple of weeks though Gmail should be doing its job.

As you mentioned trying it with a single account first, see how you get on with that and then add any others as and when you see fit. I would imagine you should be able to forward from multiple Freeola addresses to a single Gmail address and then retrieve from your desktop client.

Hope this helps, in my experience though this set up works great. I'm well impressed with it.
Wed 23/09/15 at 13:22
Regular
Thanks for that.

I'm just trying it on one address for now.

I'm assuming you then set a basic filter in TB for the Gmail fetch to then move emails addressed to a specific address, to the appropriate account's inbox.

N.
Wed 23/09/15 at 08:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
Neilj99 wrote:
Hmmm...

How would I configure multiple (EmailPro) IMAP addresses to route via GMail for spam filtering and get clean versions back in Outlook?

N.

Hi Neil,

I simply forward all mail from my Freeola a/c straight to Gmail and then retrieve them to my desktop using Thunderbird (with Gmail settings). In the initial 'running period' I had to log into Gmail and re-mark the odd one which wasn't spam but had been flagged (nb. although future mails will then come through to the desktop OK but the original will need to be manually forwarded if required).

I still have my Freeola account settings also in Thunderbird so I can sent via that account (as well as my Gmail) if required.

I don't use EmailPro at all found it totally ineffective these days regardless of which settings I used, now everything gets forwarded straight to Gmail and once over this learning phase it really is top notch. Just forward everything to one Gmail account and then retrieve from there.

All of this stems totally from Hmmm...'s advice there's no way I could ever have come up with it myself!

BTW I've just checked and Gmail has caught 109 spam mails so far, about a dozen of those were false positives (senders now moved to safe list).

Hope this helps.
Tue 22/09/15 at 19:51
Regular
Hmmm...

How would I configure multiple (EmailPro) IMAP addresses to route via GMail for spam filtering and get clean versions back in Outlook?

N.
Sun 20/09/15 at 15:02
"Are you sure?"
Neilj99 wrote:
...I mainly need to 'reset' due to the amount of spam I get.

Have you seen my tip in the Spam thread?
Use GMail's spam filter - works great!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 20/09/15 at 01:45
Regular
Thanks for those pointers. I'll work on those ideas.

I mainly need to 'reset' due to the amount of spam I get.

Interestingly, I previously created an email address to see how quickly it would get spammed. I never sent any email from it or otherwise used it online. It just sat there live and has never been hit.

N.
Fri 18/09/15 at 13:52
"Are you sure?"
Your options depend on how important it is/was...

If it's important you could keep it running but forward all mail to a new address.

Tell people that have the address it's changed/finished.

Monitor who still uses it over a period of time and get in touch explaining the move as appropriate.

Put an 'auto reply' in place telling users the address has 'retired'.

If it's linked to a website explain the situation there.

Delete it and let people work it out themselves!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 17/09/15 at 20:19
Regular
Hi,

What's the best way to retire an email address that's in circulation?

I need to take some out and update others.

Thanks,

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.