GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fritzbox and Freeola IPv6"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/08/14 at 14:11
Regular
Hi,

My Fritzbox supports IPv6.

Does Freeola support native IPv6? If so (@Eccles), how would I configure the Fritzbox?

Thanks,

Neil
Wed 27/08/14 at 13:58
Regular
Many thanks.

N.
Tue 26/08/14 at 17:25
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I think that is working as expected. It probably queries the ipv4 DNS for AAAA records first or the other way round. Either way it works so don't worry too much about it.
Mon 25/08/14 at 18:15
Regular
*Sneaky bump @Eccles*
Sat 23/08/14 at 16:34
Regular
@Eccles

Looking at the Online Monitor, the DNS Servers Used entry says the primary IPv4 server is "(currently used for standard queries)".

The IPv4 secondary server and both IPv6 servers are also listed.

I thought the primary IPv6 server would be used as quoted above. Have I not set something, or is this as expected?

N.
Thu 21/08/14 at 15:10
Regular
Happy to report I've been IPv6'd.

So far so good.

The Overview is reporting both v4 and v6 connected.

Thanks so much for all your advice @Eccles.

N.
Thu 21/08/14 at 13:55
Regular
Eccles wrote:
- just realised how much tech is in my house!

Me too. If I plug anything else in, my street will go dim!

Thanks so much for your guidance on this. I'm going to reopen the ticket and ask for allocation 'having spoken to you re research and any issues that I may face'. I will put the reason being I would like to futureproof my connection.

N.
Thu 21/08/14 at 11:14
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
They will just work over IPv4 or IPv6 if they support it (they should get assigned a local 'link' prefix and full public IPv6 address - firewall rules will still apply). Not had any connection issues between my devices (several Android phones, Wii, Raspberry Pi's, NAS, Tablet, Laptop(s) and a PC - just realised how much tech is in my house!).

AVM setup guide
Thu 21/08/14 at 00:37
Regular
Thanks for that.

Do I have to reconfigure my other devices? Printer, TV, Sky box, phone, tablet etc, or will they just work?

N.
Wed 20/08/14 at 23:44
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I wouldn't worry too much about the reason. The fact that it's the current/future should be enough. The 'reason' is more to satisfy RIPE that organisations that have IP assignments aren't just handing them out for any old reason like, um, RIPE used to do. No so much an issue with IPv6.
All I can say regarding our broadband, the fritzbox and IPv6 is that I have been running it successfully since 2011 and have never had a problem accessing sites due to IPv6. The fritzbox is 'dual stack' so will use IPv6 if supported end to end otherwise it will try IPv4. Other than having loads of 'public' IPv6 addresses at my disposal (no need for NAT) there aren't many visible benefits as an end user but once setup you can just leave it alone and forget about it.
Whether they like it or not people who are more technically minded are going to have to get to grips with IPv6. It's not that complicated! It's my intention to make all the services we run available over IPv6 within the next year. We already serve DNS over it.
In the end it's up to you to decide if you want to configure IPv6. If you ask our support questions they can't answer they can always ask me anyway.
By the way, the setup instructions I gave are the settings I used since I've had the router and the IPv6 setup was a little lacking in places in the interface back then. AVM have sorted this out so the latest firmware may work with the more automatic settings (IPv6 route announcements and such) but I haven't changed mine because it works anyway.
Wed 20/08/14 at 18:41
Regular
I hear you.

I'll read your link.

They also said they need a valid reason for requesting allocation. The fact that my router supports it may not get past the panel, so to speak.

Thanks.

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.