GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Sunshine- Your views good or bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/10/02 at 18:39
Regular
Mario Sunshine- Your views good or bad?

What do you think of it?
Sun 20/10/02 at 22:43
Regular
I'd give it about 9.6/10. A great game. The only faults are that sometimes the camera can be annoying, and the game can get quite frustrating. Then there are a few minor graphical glitches.

Apart from that, a fantastic platformer!
Sun 20/10/02 at 23:03
"The Will of D."
I'd give it a 8.5/10, I think that it is not really complete and there should at last be another couple of levels to explore.

I have just heard that some secrets have revealed that some of us have not even thought of, and I know that there is at the bottom of the bottle in story 6 (or 5 I can't remeber) of Noki bay where the sand castle is if you search around the castle you will see a locked room and if you tilt the camera around you will see in the room a secret and unknown book. I myself do not know what the book contains but I t could do with another Mario game on the way....
Sun 20/10/02 at 23:06
Regular
I'd give it 9.3/10, supeb game, definetly my favourite on the Cube but there is still room for improvement. A couple more levels wouldn't have gone a miss either.
Sun 20/10/02 at 23:09
Regular
Damn that was supposed to say 9.5
Mon 21/10/02 at 17:59
Regular
Why do people moan about games being sort now nintendo are doing it?

MGS 2 hours to complete, it IS the best game on PS1.
Tue 22/10/02 at 19:18
Regular
"Steven"
fair point but I don't like games to be too short, but also not too long
Wed 23/10/02 at 20:37
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
If we're sticking to the x/10 format then I'd give it a 6.

Sometimes it feels like it deserves a 7 (or maybe even an 8, particularly on the levels without the cursed FLUDD) but all too often I'd feel incluned to drop it even lower than I have.

My problem is that I just don't feel it's a Mario game. It's not that it does what it does badly but it just feels like they've wrapped as many of the typical Mario game elements around a game which could and REALLY should have been accomplished with a different character to go with the different direction. Previous Mario games have generally offered a new take on the series to the previous ones without diverting from the original game mechanics but here it's like they've amalgamated a good and a great game together and in the end result the two parts conflict and drag each other down.

Nintendo should have kept some of the genuinely great score-lifting ideas which feature in this game and put them into a proper new Mario game and either invent a new character for this title or, if it must feature one of the brothers, use it as a sequel to Luigi's Mansion.

I could go on and on about this hee but I think I'll go write a review...
Wed 23/10/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
maddmun wrote:
> 9.5 out of 10 - it's not that short, think of super mario world

OK

I'm thinking of Super Mario World

I'm thinking of a game which had somewhere in the region of 70 levels which took weeks to play through (and that's without finding all of them, let alone the full 96 exits).

Now I'm thinking of Mario Sunshine again.

I'm thinking of a game with less than 10 fairly bland levels which you have to endure 8 times each with only very minor variations in their design. Most of those levels also take less time to complete than a typical one from Super Mario World. Often they involves merely collecting 8 red coins, fighting a squid boss (several times because they couldn't be bothered to invent any others) or chasing after someone (which, if doused constantly straight away, can usually be done in about 6 seconds).

If I'm honest, it would take me a lot longer to see everything in Sunshine than it did in World but that's simply because there is such a big difference in the amount of interest in playing it.
Wed 23/10/02 at 21:08
Regular
"Steven"
yes ok but Super Mario World was a good game and not as babyish

I mean fight the same boss when you could fight a new one

The person who did that ran out of ideas pritty fast
Wed 23/10/02 at 22:11
Regular
SmokedKipper wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> 9.5 out of 10 - it's not that short, think of super mario world
>
> OK
>
> I'm thinking of Super Mario World
>
> I'm thinking of a game which had somewhere in the region of 70 levels
> which took weeks to play through (and that's without finding all of
> them, let alone the full 96 exits).
>
> Now I'm thinking of Mario Sunshine again.
>
> I'm thinking of a game with less than 10 fairly bland levels which you
> have to endure 8 times each with only very minor variations in their
> design. Most of those levels also take less time to complete than a
> typical one from Super Mario World. Often they involves merely
> collecting 8 red coins, fighting a squid boss (several times because
> they couldn't be bothered to invent any others) or chasing after
> someone (which, if doused constantly straight away, can usually be
> done in about 6 seconds).

You idiot Super Mario World took ages to complete but no longer than Super Mario Sunshine, each level in Super Mario World could take 3 minutes whilst it would take up to 10 - 15 for one episode in Sunshine.

> If I'm honest, it would take me a lot longer to see everything in
> Sunshine than it did in World but that's simply because there is such
> a big difference in the amount of interest in playing it.

Sunshine is a storming game from Nintendo, proof that the old big N magic is still alive and if youd stop comparing it to older attempts and realize it is the best 3D platformer out there and is sooooo much fun then youd no that this game rules... now bring on the only game that ever tops it... Zelda.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.