GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vice City: 9 hours played, 11% complete & a few thoughts on the game!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
Well, after getting GTA Vice City last Wednesday, I have so far clocked up about 8-9 hours play, most of which was this weekend. Just didn’t have time in the week with work and all! To be honest it would have been more but Tony Hawk 4 is very distracting indeed – the levels are huge and very well designed! Anyway, I never really played GTA3 much, but have no problems proclaiming Vice City to be the best PS2 game this year – here are a couple of reasons why. DON’T WORRY, NO SPOILERS…

1) Motorbikes – the handling is excellent, from the nippy mopeds (called ‘Faggio’) to the more power PCJ 600 they are all amazing! And nothing beats popping a wheelie down the main beachfront ‘strip’ of Vice City.

2) The in game music. Whoever had the idea to license real 80’s songs should be made a director of RockStar – utter genius. Driving through Little Havana while listening to ‘Cars’ by Gary Newman, or ‘Atomic’ by Blondie, or even ‘tempted by the fruit of another’ by Squeeze (I think) is just soooo cool.

3) The radio stations. Vrock is pure class, with Lazlo doing his best to sound like a hard drinking, fast living rocker, the guy is just as funny as he was in GTA3. Plus Fernando Martinez is back, he has his own radio show on a station called Emotion – some good songs on here and he’s still trying to sell the same ‘love’ (or pimping) ideals as before!

4) Being able to buy new property. I have just bought a plush two-story pad in the Southeast of the city, complete with pool and garage. You can also buy a nightclub (called the Malibu club) and a strip joint. Not allows to buy these yet, and haven’t got the cash anyway. ;-)

5) The new weapons. Far to many to mention, but the screwdriver, katana and hammer are all cool. The hammer is also very good for smashing up cars! The guns a also cool, and with an assault rifle you can use a first person view to take enemies out. Weapons like guns and stuff can be bought from Ammunation, and the more household style weapons can be bought from a shop called ‘Screw this’ – class!

6) THE CHAINSAW! Wow, cool or what. Only had this once, you are given it quite early on in the game as asked to go a take someone out with it (saying no more so I don’t spoil it) and you keep it after the mission. Unfortunately I got busted and lost it. However, it’s just so cool man. You can’t take limbs off as I initially thought, but you can take heads of and once you’ve downed someone, you can attack them on the ground! Tommy plunges the chainsaw into the guy lying on the ground in a flurry of blood and sparks as the chainsaw rips through the person and onto the tarmac. Amazing stuff.

7) The missions. Much better than GTA3, with more variety and some clever tasks. Fly above the city in a chopper, which your mate (Lance Vance) is flying, while you attack with the huge gat gun is a good example of how varied the missions are.

8) Being able to go inside shops. Go into a fast food restaurant and buy a meal to boost your health. Go into the shopping mall and take out some shoppers with an Uzi, go into the nightclub and cause some trouble. Very cool.

9) Speeding along on a motorbike and then bailing off the back then watching the motorbike speed on into a group of pedestrians! The same can be done with cars and if you get the car on fire first, the ensuing explosion in the midst of a crowd is so sweet!

10) The loading sequence! Before you even get to the game, the titles or even the intro, RockStar North’s class really shines through. The initial load sequence will being memories flooding back to anyone who ever loaded a game on a C64 back in the day. And I never thought I’d see the phrases - ‘Press play on tape’ and ‘searching’ again! Just wait guys, it’s sooo cool!

The only problems are a few issues with the spooling of the textures from the DVD, if you drive through the city fast and have a radio station on, the game can have problems loading the texture in quick enough and you even get a ‘loading’ message sometimes as the game catches up. Doesn’t really spoil it, but annoying non-the-less. But this could be because I have a US import – dunno! Hmmm, and other than that I guess you could say that there aren’t enough gun/hardware shops, but that’s being very, very picky ;-)

Any questions, that you’d like to know, fire away.

A truly great game! RockStar, you should be saluted. A job very well done.
Wed 06/11/02 at 18:26
Regular
where did i hear about the thing that if you put a cheat in you wont get no helicopters to fly ever again?
Wed 06/11/02 at 14:19
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Damn durty annoying newbie...
Wed 06/11/02 at 14:08
Just hold on there is no way we will be able to find out the truth anyways so lets just give it a rest.

Where can you buy the chip just to play imports? I wouldn't mind one of those.
Wed 06/11/02 at 13:52
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Nomino wrote:
> Flanders wrote:
> If you are just going to post tripe then go and do it elsewhere you
> fool.
>
> Read the posts - he got the game on import.
>
> *cough*...b****x...

And on what factual basis so you make that retort ? I suppose you have a full knowledge of Echelon etc - you know who he is, where he lives, what he does for a living etc etc... You know that he is ex SR staff then ? that he has a multi region test machine ? thought so...

What a plank.

>
> If you believe that, then you are more of a fool than me.

Nope. you are indeed a fool though..

So he's got
> a Messiah-chipped (or simillar) PS2 has he,

Apparantley not...

cos' he'll need one?

No he wont...

In
> that case, if he has got a copy of the game

Which he has...

, it won't be a
> "legit" import

Yes it is....

, it will be a DVDR backup.

No it isn't ......

Again, if you
> believe that people do chip their PS2 and don't buy backups, that
> reinforces your fool-like nature even more.

Nope - I know people do that and I am totally against piracy. I am not a fool..

With PS2 there are two
> breeds of user:
>
> 1) Law abiding Joe Public who buys all originals
> 2) Chip-owning tw*ts who buys nothing but backups

And also those who own US machines with step down transformers or multi region test machines.

>
> There is no half-way on this. To make PS2 play imports, by default it
> has to play backups too.

Not if it is an original US machine or a multi rehion test machine...

This is unlike a Nintendo console, where to
> make it multi-region is simple and cheap.
>
> I for one don't condone piracy, and therefore if this guy has got a
> copy of the game,

Which he has...

it will be an illegal backup.

No it isn't

So, f***you, and f***
> anybody who disagrees.

Marvelous, well worded argument there..

Well SR said that starring out swear words is as bad as typing them and as that is what you have done I will test out the theory.
Wed 06/11/02 at 13:36
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:

> Oh and for the record, you obviously no nothing about PS2 mod chips.
> There is a chip that will ONLY play ORIGINAL import games - it won't
> play back ups.

OOh where can I get it?

I have often wanted to get my PS2 chipped to play imports, because I love RPGs and there are loads that you can't get in europe. I don't want to condone pirating in any way though, so this would be an ideal solution for me.

(so yes there are some people who chip their consoles for imports).
Wed 06/11/02 at 13:05
I dont mind importers but I do hate piraters at least importers actually pay full wack for a game to support the industry. Hell I might buy a import gc sometime.

Or I might just buy from sr :D cheezy grin.
Wed 06/11/02 at 12:58
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I cannot wait for this game!

Does 'Jah Radio' feature in Vice City?
I hope so, it absolutely rocked on GTA3!

If not, anything by Grandmaster Flash would easily make up for it!
Wed 06/11/02 at 11:17
Regular
"  "
Ooops, sorry, damn caps lock. :)
Wed 06/11/02 at 11:17
Regular
"  "
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> Nå†ßu© wrote:
> Just make sure you get rid of all your screwdrivers before Friday
> Nev
> ;)
>
> Oh and Simon (You dont mind me calling you that do you, its just
> that
> your other name is too hard to spell :D) Can you actually swim in
> the
> swimming pools or do you drown. I here you cant swim but surely you
> can go in the pools?
>
> No that is fine! and in future i'll change my nick so its easier for
> you to write ;-)
>
> Yes and no. Tommy can't swim, so if he falls into the sea, your dead -
> as with GTA3.
>
> However, you *can* go into swimming pools and other such small,
> enclosed water filled areas safely - the reason, they are all only
> knee deep :-D

aH THANKYOU. tHAT IS A RELIEF. i THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A BIT LAME IF HE FELL IN THE POOL AND DROWNED IN 2FT OF WATER :d
Wed 06/11/02 at 11:15
"You love us!"
Nomino wrote:
> Flanders wrote:
> If you are just going to post tripe then go and do it elsewhere you
> fool.
>
> Read the posts - he got the game on import.
>
> *cough*...b****x...
>
> If you believe that, then you are more of a fool than me. So he's got
> a Messiah-chipped (or simillar) PS2 has he, cos' he'll need one? In
> that case, if he has got a copy of the game, it won't be a
> "legit" import, it will be a DVDR backup. Again, if you
> believe that people do chip their PS2 and don't buy backups, that
> reinforces your fool-like nature even more. With PS2 there are two
> breeds of user:
>
> 1) Law abiding Joe Public who buys all originals
> 2) Chip-owning tw*ts who buys nothing but backups
>
> There is no half-way on this. To make PS2 play imports, by default it
> has to play backups too. This is unlike a Nintendo console, where to
> make it multi-region is simple and cheap.
>
> I for one don't condone piracy, and therefore if this guy has got a
> copy of the game, it will be an illegal backup. So, f***you, and f***
> anybody who disagrees.

Why do such childish people even bother posting.

So why do you need a chipped machine to play an American game - which appears to be the basis of your (rather poor) argument? As far as I’m aware, a USA game will run (and this may come as a surprise) on a standard USA machine! LOL! Wow, now I know that might sound quite radical to you Nomino, but it's true! Amazing or what! No chip needed, just a step down converter! The wonders of modern science hey!

The other way of playing games from all regions is to have a PS2 Test Machine - which I have. These babies play all regions, and pre-production code, and are the machines that all the PS2 mags have, and because I do a bit of freelance work for PSW, I have one. Yay me!

Oh and for the record, you obviously no nothing about PS2 mod chips. There is a chip that will ONLY play ORIGINAL import games - it won't play back ups. But hey, I’m sure you know better, after all you just can't tell 10 year olds anything without them thinking they know better LOL

Anyway, at least you seem to have accepted I have Vice City now, so I should have guessed that the next best thing is to claim it's a copy or something. LOL! A sad, sad person. I really feel sorry for your parents (and friends, although going by your attitude on here, I would guess you don't really have any) imagine have to spend any amount of time with an opinionated prat such as yourself, oh dear.

The best bit of your post....
'I for one don't condone piracy, and therefore if this guy has got a copy of the game, it will be an illegal backup. So, f***you, and f*** anybody who disagrees.'

now that is utter, utter comedy! Totally! According to this, if I have the game, it HAS to be an illegal copy - how on earth can you make such an assumption! LOL nutter! And the last line is priceless. If you disagree, you a wrong. LOL quality! LOL

I'd guess the real reason your so unhappy about me having the game (and you see to be the only one who is) is that mummy and daddy won't let you have a copy of Vice City cause you're to young LOL. oh well, give it 6 or 7 years and you'll be 18, then you can buy your own copy. Until then, just keep telling yourself that ANYONE who has the game is either lying or has an illegal copy! LOL

*shakes head* Sad, very, very sad! LOL

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.