GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vice City: 9 hours played, 11% complete & a few thoughts on the game!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
Well, after getting GTA Vice City last Wednesday, I have so far clocked up about 8-9 hours play, most of which was this weekend. Just didn’t have time in the week with work and all! To be honest it would have been more but Tony Hawk 4 is very distracting indeed – the levels are huge and very well designed! Anyway, I never really played GTA3 much, but have no problems proclaiming Vice City to be the best PS2 game this year – here are a couple of reasons why. DON’T WORRY, NO SPOILERS…

1) Motorbikes – the handling is excellent, from the nippy mopeds (called ‘Faggio’) to the more power PCJ 600 they are all amazing! And nothing beats popping a wheelie down the main beachfront ‘strip’ of Vice City.

2) The in game music. Whoever had the idea to license real 80’s songs should be made a director of RockStar – utter genius. Driving through Little Havana while listening to ‘Cars’ by Gary Newman, or ‘Atomic’ by Blondie, or even ‘tempted by the fruit of another’ by Squeeze (I think) is just soooo cool.

3) The radio stations. Vrock is pure class, with Lazlo doing his best to sound like a hard drinking, fast living rocker, the guy is just as funny as he was in GTA3. Plus Fernando Martinez is back, he has his own radio show on a station called Emotion – some good songs on here and he’s still trying to sell the same ‘love’ (or pimping) ideals as before!

4) Being able to buy new property. I have just bought a plush two-story pad in the Southeast of the city, complete with pool and garage. You can also buy a nightclub (called the Malibu club) and a strip joint. Not allows to buy these yet, and haven’t got the cash anyway. ;-)

5) The new weapons. Far to many to mention, but the screwdriver, katana and hammer are all cool. The hammer is also very good for smashing up cars! The guns a also cool, and with an assault rifle you can use a first person view to take enemies out. Weapons like guns and stuff can be bought from Ammunation, and the more household style weapons can be bought from a shop called ‘Screw this’ – class!

6) THE CHAINSAW! Wow, cool or what. Only had this once, you are given it quite early on in the game as asked to go a take someone out with it (saying no more so I don’t spoil it) and you keep it after the mission. Unfortunately I got busted and lost it. However, it’s just so cool man. You can’t take limbs off as I initially thought, but you can take heads of and once you’ve downed someone, you can attack them on the ground! Tommy plunges the chainsaw into the guy lying on the ground in a flurry of blood and sparks as the chainsaw rips through the person and onto the tarmac. Amazing stuff.

7) The missions. Much better than GTA3, with more variety and some clever tasks. Fly above the city in a chopper, which your mate (Lance Vance) is flying, while you attack with the huge gat gun is a good example of how varied the missions are.

8) Being able to go inside shops. Go into a fast food restaurant and buy a meal to boost your health. Go into the shopping mall and take out some shoppers with an Uzi, go into the nightclub and cause some trouble. Very cool.

9) Speeding along on a motorbike and then bailing off the back then watching the motorbike speed on into a group of pedestrians! The same can be done with cars and if you get the car on fire first, the ensuing explosion in the midst of a crowd is so sweet!

10) The loading sequence! Before you even get to the game, the titles or even the intro, RockStar North’s class really shines through. The initial load sequence will being memories flooding back to anyone who ever loaded a game on a C64 back in the day. And I never thought I’d see the phrases - ‘Press play on tape’ and ‘searching’ again! Just wait guys, it’s sooo cool!

The only problems are a few issues with the spooling of the textures from the DVD, if you drive through the city fast and have a radio station on, the game can have problems loading the texture in quick enough and you even get a ‘loading’ message sometimes as the game catches up. Doesn’t really spoil it, but annoying non-the-less. But this could be because I have a US import – dunno! Hmmm, and other than that I guess you could say that there aren’t enough gun/hardware shops, but that’s being very, very picky ;-)

Any questions, that you’d like to know, fire away.

A truly great game! RockStar, you should be saluted. A job very well done.
Thu 07/11/02 at 18:29
Regular
"Sturb du sweine"
only 5hrs and 31 mins to go andf thn its released of course i wont get until the postman or women comes hurry up please!!!!!!!!!
Thu 07/11/02 at 17:59
"You love us!"
**Or more likely, none of it is true**

Oh and for the record, still waiting for the name of the employee/director of R* who authorised the removal of RC software to someone they don’t know, let alone trust ;-)

The guy is a waste of time, hell his name probably isn’t even Nomino ;-) lol
Thu 07/11/02 at 15:49
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Nomino wrote:
> Flanders wrote:
> A load of balls that totally contradicted his earlier posts.
>
> Damn hypocrite !!
>
> Prove that:
>
> - It is a load of balls
> - That there is contradition (given I never said anything was true on
> any of my earlier posts)

So if you dont actually mean anything you post then what the hell was the point of posting all that garbage then ?

> - That I'm a hypocrite

Ok then - you're not a hypocrite - you just waste time posting complete tripe that you dont actually mean just for the hell of it

So either all the earlier garbage was not true or the latest load of garbage is not true.

Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not wasting any more time on you.
Thu 07/11/02 at 15:38
Regular
Flanders wrote:
> A load of balls that totally contradicted his earlier posts.
>
> Damn hypocrite !!

Prove that:

- It is a load of balls
- That there is contradition (given I never said anything was true on any of my earlier posts)
- That I'm a hypocrite

Oh, and maybe you should look the word up before using it, you hypocrite!!
Thu 07/11/02 at 14:36
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Nomino wrote:

A load of balls that totally contradicted his earlier posts.

Damn hypocrite !!
Thu 07/11/02 at 14:20
"You love us!"
Nomino wrote:
> OK, no more messing. So want to know how I got the game early? I own
> a PS2 chipped with the new Messiah 2 Pro (not officially released yet,
> but I'm testing it. I previously had the original Messiah). A few
> weeks ago I was on holiday in the US (Clearwater, Florida), staying
> with some family. My Uncle has a friend who works at R*, and he was
> able to obtain a copy of some candidate release 1 review code. Under
> authority from the director of R*, he let me burn a copy of the review
> code to take home.

Messiah 2 Pro hey, very nice?! Hmmm, and where did you get that from to 'test' it!. Err and are you sure it isn't available, seen a couple of sites offering it and acording the the Messiah website, who i mailed just to check, you can buy them now.
Hmmm, and as for the director of R* giving his authority for a release candidate version of VC to be taken out of the compnay, i doubt that massivley! I'm not saying that you don't have an uncle, how has a friend who works for R*, but i do doubt the fact that they would allows the game to be taken away by a friend of a friend before US release, or at anytime for that matter. Out of interest, i have a couple of contacts at both RockStar and DMA, whats the name of you uncles friend or director who let you take then game?

> I will be picking up my PAL retail copy from the stores tomorrow
> morning, along with thousands of other happy gamers. Do you really
> think that just because I own a chipped PS2, that I am a pirate? All
> of my games are UK/US originals.

Errr, no I don't think that all people who have a chipped machine are pirates. Far from it! However, and rather strangle, THAT IS EXACTALLY WHAT YOU SAID!
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:27
Regular
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:

> That means that after all that posturing about pirate software, you
> are nothing more than a thief yourself. How's that for irony!
> Been as VC was released in the US first, the ONLY way you could have
> got a copy of the game earlier than that was if you work for a games
> mag, website or know/work at RockStar/DMA! Not saying you don't as I
> don't know you, but I would have to say that all of the legit
> explanations are highly unlikely. Review code pf VC was VERY tricky
> to come by, I know as I couldn't get one anywhere - and even PSW only
> had 1 copy for a few days! Arrrr, a pirate me thinks! So what mod chip
> you got then? ;-)

OK, no more messing. So want to know how I got the game early? I own a PS2 chipped with the new Messiah 2 Pro (not officially released yet, but I'm testing it. I previously had the original Messiah). A few weeks ago I was on holiday in the US (Clearwater, Florida), staying with some family. My Uncle has a friend who works at R*, and he was able to obtain a copy of some candidate release 1 review code. Under authority from the director of R*, he let me burn a copy of the review code to take home.

I will be picking up my PAL retail copy from the stores tomorrow morning, along with thousands of other happy gamers. Do you really think that just because I own a chipped PS2, that I am a pirate? All of my games are UK/US originals.
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:07
Regular
"  "
Wicked, thanks :)
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:05
"You love us!"
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> Ah ok, sounds good though. I take it on some missions though that you
> have to take the passenger seat while shooting. Also, do police shoot
> your ties while driving, and can you pop out the window and shoot
> theirs? Cheers.

You can shoot automatic guns, like the Uzi and Ingram, from any car while driving along, in a kinda' drive-by style of attack. Just hold down L2 or R2 (for direction) then tap circle to fire. Very good for taking out gangs.

I haven't had a missions where someone else was driving a car while i attacked with a gun. However, i have had two missions where Lance vance is controlling the chopper/boat (depending on the mission) and you have to fend off attackers from a first person view. You get a white circle on the screen and this is your cross-hair - he does all the dirving/flying you just KILL KILL KILL ;-)

Yes the copy can shot out tyers - a veyr cool feature indeed, think i mentioned this in an earlier post actually. And yes you can also shoot out their tyers, or any other vehicle you choose for that matter. A couple of missions involving giving chase to an enmey, and the best say is to use the sniper rifle to take out the tyre of there car, then watch then slide about on the rim. You get sparks and everything when a vehicle is driving on a rim, and when this happens on a motorbike, controlling it is imposssible - turn a corner at any kind of speed and you're off!
Thu 07/11/02 at 12:57
Regular
"  "
Ah ok, sounds good though. I take it on some missions though that you have to take the passenger seat while shooting. Also, do police shoot your ties while driving, and can you pop out the window and shoot theirs? Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.