GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 'killer app'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/03/02 at 21:00
Regular
Every console needs them. That one game, whatever genre it may be, that makes money for producers, draws critical acclaim for developers, and brings hours of enjoyment to us, the player. If you’re lucky, there might be more than one of them on one console. But the basic fact is undeniable – if a console is going to be successful it’s going to need one of these. Yep, you’ve probably guessed from the unimaginative thread title that I am talking about a very special sort of game indeed – the ‘killer app’.

What makes a ‘killer app’? Well, it can be any genre, it can have amazing graphics or simplistic colours, orchestra style sounds or bouncy tunes, but a ‘killer app’ has something. You can’t put your’re finger on it, you just know its there (God I sound like a Pop Idol judge). It just feels like quality and you know hen you are playing it you are probably experiencing something great. A ‘killer app’ can sell consoles on themselves, although as I explain later, that may not necessarily be the case.

With the console ‘war’ developing into to what could be quite possibly one of the hardest fought in the industry’s illustrious history, the need for the so-called ‘killer app’ is more so than ever. With Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all battling for industry supremacy and – let’s face it – the money in your wallet, the ‘killer app’ could be the game that makes or breaks the success of their latest console. I’m not talking about Triple A titles, because there will always be a substantial amount of those. I’m talking about the sort of game that will force people to buy a console just to play that game, and that, my friends, is very, very, hard to come by.

So lets look at the future potentials, starting with Xbox. In order to establish a guaranteed user base and attract customers, they have released their No.1 game for the foreseeable future, Halo. By all early accounts the game certainly seems to be living up to the hype and at this stage could definitely be described as the ‘killer app’. Whether people will buy the console is debatable, because when you strip it of its fancy graphics and new features, it is little more than a standard FPS. What comes after Halo is tricky, as there doesn’t appear to be anything on the horizon for Microsoft? PS2, like Microsoft, seem to have their killer app out already, MGS2 is already selling like a Will Young record and seems, like GT3 before it, to be selling consoles on its own. Gamecube also have games for the here and now - Smash Bros certainly looks like it has all the trappings of a ‘killer app’. Plus Nintendo have a couple of other games waiting in the wings. You might have heard of them, its Mariosomething and that thingamajig Zelda.

However, a ‘killer app’ doesn’t necessarily guarantee success, and Nintendo and Sega can vouch for that. The N64 had arguably the greatest collection of true must-have games, yet they still finished behind Sony, who despite their claims and sales figures had nowhere near as many great ‘killer apps’ (Ooooh, controversial). Why? Maybe the casual gamer just doesn’t appreciate brilliance, or their just happy buying the same graphical updates. Does that prove that a console needs more than ‘killer apps’? Could be. It can be argued that PSone’s cheap price won the first console war. But then what about Dreamcast?

Dreamcast was cheap, and had great games, so why didn’t it sell. I’m probably going to annoy some of you know, but I think that Dreamcast didn’t have a ‘killer app’. (Ooooh, controversial – again). Sure, JSR, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis were great games, but would you buy a console because of them? I don’t think so. I think a lot of hopes were pinned on Shenmue to be that ‘killer app’, but it turned out to be something of an acquired taste. Maybe the lack of that ‘killer app’ contributed to Sega’s downfall, who knows?

What I do know is that the ‘killer app’ is certainly important and becoming increasingly more so as the console war hots up. All consoles will need ‘em, that’s for sure. Another thing I’m also sure about is that we can look forward to more great games as developers strive for that elusive ‘killer app’. If they continue to do so, then the future is looking very bright indeed.

Thanks for reading

RM18
Sun 17/03/02 at 08:40
Regular
Thanks Liquid...a little surprising considering you were moaning at me earlier
Sat 16/03/02 at 21:12
Regular
a good read

I agree with some of the other comments, GAD quality
Sat 16/03/02 at 19:15
Regular
I agree with your closing sentiment. If that's true, then its Nintendo who should emergre from this 'war' victorious. Somehow, I just don't see that happening. Shame,really
Sat 16/03/02 at 17:01
Well Halo has always been a dodgy choice for Microsoft. On the one hand it looks like and sounds like (according to popular opinion) a really good game. On the other hand though Microsoft offended many PC owners by stealing Halo and then ensuring that it wouldn't be out on PC for a long time (if ever, though I expect it will). As one such PC owner I must say that the decision was good. I'm more annoyed about Sony and their devilish GTA3 marketing manoeuvre. Possibly this is because Sony annoy me in many other ways, including their adverts which I despise with a passion. Infact I have written at least one post about said adverts, and since then they seem to have gotten worse so are Sony just trying to spite me? No probably not but anyway back to the point. I have already got an X-Box en-route as soon as possible from Special Reserve here and Halo comes with it so I'll hopefully see for myself. From what I've read and seen though I'd say it's definately a game worth getting the console for, for one thing the crew of the good ship PC Gamer have all been boarding the X-Box for some hearty Halo treasure.

Microsoft are more experienced in computer games though than some people suspect, after all Age of Empires was one of their games and it was extremely popular. They are also making Dungeon Siege and it looks like being an excellent RPG. So Microsoft do seem to know good games when they see them and that's probably why they bought Halo and should also be able to obtain many other high quality games, maybe even some "killer apps".

As for the other companies well I don't think that the PS2 has any games that make it worth funding the evil Sony empire (it's their own fault, those darned adverts). For one thing almost all of the decent games come out on PC and those that don't you can usually get a game of better quality. Infact even those that do, such as Red Faction. This is probably to do with the increased freedom of PC developers and perhaps some people wouldn't agree that there are better games than the likes of MGS or FF and really it is a matter of opinion so they aren't wrong. Of course I haven't played very many PS2 games so maybe I'm in no place to make such wild accusations, after all the Medal of Honour series is a PS original. Of course I don't think that the PC specific Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault (actually it's coming out on X-Box too) is as good as Return To Castle Wolfenstein and certainly doesn't deserve the hype as best game ever (just like Half-Life). Infact I'm beginning to think that I gave it the wrong score in my review, perhaps something more towards 86%. Yes, some frustration and another supposed "best game ever" which has a new "worst ending ever". Anyway, I digress, so now I return to the point.

The Gamecube appeals to me, though many of the games are more worrying than enticing. I don't think that Zelda has ever been as good as it should be and now I wonder if they will make the next one worse what with all the rumours. Mario Sunshine, you have to wonder if Mario really can survive in the new age of consoles but you never know he may suprise us. What Nintendo really need is a good Space Combat Sim, if a console ever makes a good space combat sim (and I mean the likes of Tie Fighter and Freespace 2, that's tough competition) then I think the company would win me over for life, even if it's never repeated. It would have to be much better than Freespace 2 for Sony to win me in this way but that's only until they change their adverts for the better (I go on about that far too much). As some of you already said Smash Brothers Melee does look like a good selling point, but then with high quality fighting and wrestling games coming out on the competition too will it have enough to be the big thing of the Gamecube?

We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out and when it comes down to it, it's just a matter of the kind of games you like. With the PC already providing ever increasing quality RPGs, the occasional brilliant Space Combat Sim, FPSs for everyone, entertaining RTSs and the only source of Adventure Games then it may be a matter of which console does something different?
Sat 16/03/02 at 15:33
Regular
thanks, but I never seem to win
Sat 16/03/02 at 15:28
Regular
"relocated"
I'd have to agree about the Dreamcast: it's the one console I've never had any ambition to own. Yes, it has some terrific games but nothing that could force me to get the hardware. The trouble is that without reading all the Dreamcast magazines it was hard to know which games were good; it's only when a game bursts out of its single-format ghetto that non-owners get to hear about it. This, to me, defines a killer app: something that gets talked about by people who have played or seen it to people who don't own the console. GTA3 did it for PS2; Mario Kart Advance and Advance Wars are doing it for GBA; apart from on these forums, though, I haven't really anything about Halo etc. Time will tell if it really is a killer app.

Good post, anyway. In fact you've posted so many good topics in the past few days that I'm beginning to think you desperately want a new game. ; )
Sat 16/03/02 at 15:06
Regular
thanks for the great feedback, you made some very pertinent points
Sat 16/03/02 at 14:21
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I think maybe killer apps as you call them are something that is now a dying breed. I think this post kind of focuses on the PSX, N64, Dreamcast kind of era as these days you can't really guarentee a game is going to be exclusive to the one console so in a way all consoles are getting the same so called "killer apps" with maybe the exception of a small number of games.

I don't think it comes down to killer apps anymore, I think it is just personal taste and thats the way it has always been in a way. Don't think there is any game which will sell a console just because it is exclusive and good to play. I for one wouldn't buy a console just for one game.
Sat 16/03/02 at 13:58
"...Unicef pennies.."
I think that you'll very rarely find a console that can sell itself purely on its capabilities. If a console is amazing, but has no truly enticing games, then why would you buy it? So i definately agree that a console rely's heavily on it's killer apps.

I think Microsoft see this too, hence their buying all the game rights that they can get their hands on. But is a killer app. still a killer app. in the same sense if it has already been released elsewhere a few months previously (MGS2, GTA3 etc)? I don't think so myself. Killer apps make people flock into the shop and buy the console as soon as possible, just to get a taste of that particular game. So i can't see people who were really eager to play GTA3 for example, hanging on till now to buy an XBOX and then wait til april or whenever to get the XBOX version of GTA3, when they could have bought a PS2 all those months ago. I think that Microsoft have maybe missed the point of killer apps.

Great post! well done
Sat 16/03/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Very good post.
I think I'd agree with you that it's the "killer app" that sells a console.

The only reason I got an N64 was for Goldeneye, and the only reason I got a PS2 was for GTA3. Once you have got a console, you just buy all the other games. I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are.

I only buy consoles if they have a game that isn't out on the PC. Others make sure they always get the latest consoles. But I'd agree it's the killer app that sells them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.