GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 'killer app'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/03/02 at 21:00
Regular
Every console needs them. That one game, whatever genre it may be, that makes money for producers, draws critical acclaim for developers, and brings hours of enjoyment to us, the player. If you’re lucky, there might be more than one of them on one console. But the basic fact is undeniable – if a console is going to be successful it’s going to need one of these. Yep, you’ve probably guessed from the unimaginative thread title that I am talking about a very special sort of game indeed – the ‘killer app’.

What makes a ‘killer app’? Well, it can be any genre, it can have amazing graphics or simplistic colours, orchestra style sounds or bouncy tunes, but a ‘killer app’ has something. You can’t put your’re finger on it, you just know its there (God I sound like a Pop Idol judge). It just feels like quality and you know hen you are playing it you are probably experiencing something great. A ‘killer app’ can sell consoles on themselves, although as I explain later, that may not necessarily be the case.

With the console ‘war’ developing into to what could be quite possibly one of the hardest fought in the industry’s illustrious history, the need for the so-called ‘killer app’ is more so than ever. With Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all battling for industry supremacy and – let’s face it – the money in your wallet, the ‘killer app’ could be the game that makes or breaks the success of their latest console. I’m not talking about Triple A titles, because there will always be a substantial amount of those. I’m talking about the sort of game that will force people to buy a console just to play that game, and that, my friends, is very, very, hard to come by.

So lets look at the future potentials, starting with Xbox. In order to establish a guaranteed user base and attract customers, they have released their No.1 game for the foreseeable future, Halo. By all early accounts the game certainly seems to be living up to the hype and at this stage could definitely be described as the ‘killer app’. Whether people will buy the console is debatable, because when you strip it of its fancy graphics and new features, it is little more than a standard FPS. What comes after Halo is tricky, as there doesn’t appear to be anything on the horizon for Microsoft? PS2, like Microsoft, seem to have their killer app out already, MGS2 is already selling like a Will Young record and seems, like GT3 before it, to be selling consoles on its own. Gamecube also have games for the here and now - Smash Bros certainly looks like it has all the trappings of a ‘killer app’. Plus Nintendo have a couple of other games waiting in the wings. You might have heard of them, its Mariosomething and that thingamajig Zelda.

However, a ‘killer app’ doesn’t necessarily guarantee success, and Nintendo and Sega can vouch for that. The N64 had arguably the greatest collection of true must-have games, yet they still finished behind Sony, who despite their claims and sales figures had nowhere near as many great ‘killer apps’ (Ooooh, controversial). Why? Maybe the casual gamer just doesn’t appreciate brilliance, or their just happy buying the same graphical updates. Does that prove that a console needs more than ‘killer apps’? Could be. It can be argued that PSone’s cheap price won the first console war. But then what about Dreamcast?

Dreamcast was cheap, and had great games, so why didn’t it sell. I’m probably going to annoy some of you know, but I think that Dreamcast didn’t have a ‘killer app’. (Ooooh, controversial – again). Sure, JSR, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis were great games, but would you buy a console because of them? I don’t think so. I think a lot of hopes were pinned on Shenmue to be that ‘killer app’, but it turned out to be something of an acquired taste. Maybe the lack of that ‘killer app’ contributed to Sega’s downfall, who knows?

What I do know is that the ‘killer app’ is certainly important and becoming increasingly more so as the console war hots up. All consoles will need ‘em, that’s for sure. Another thing I’m also sure about is that we can look forward to more great games as developers strive for that elusive ‘killer app’. If they continue to do so, then the future is looking very bright indeed.

Thanks for reading

RM18
Tue 19/03/02 at 18:52
Regular
""
Was Chuckie egg on the C64?... crap game!
Tue 19/03/02 at 18:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
RM18 wrote:
> Jeez, sorry, I didn't know you were all going to have the same idea at once...

Sorry but i typed it up last month and just remembered to post it during the weekend, but i will do it another time.
Mon 18/03/02 at 10:32
I remember Paperboy from my old C64 days. Now those were the days, weird flickery loading screens, mini-games which played while you waited ages for the proper game to load and then turned out to be more fun and Spy vs Spy. Actually the old C64 days were quite grim, but luckily I was young and foolish and now I'm slightly older and foolish. Spy vs Spy was good though, all three of them though the first was the best because of the old "open all the doors and put a spring trap at one end then fly all the way to the far far far wall" trick. You know Goldeneye and Perfect Dark multiplayer aren't alltogether different from Spy vs Spy... Except that they are, in so many ways. The only real similarity is when you use proximity mines to booby trap things and you never search behind things for special items. You know I think they could make a good Spy vs Spy game, but some things are maybe just better left behind.

Anyway, now games are all great so go forth, have fun and be glad you don't have to put up with the likes of Spooky Castle.
Mon 18/03/02 at 06:35
Regular
thats okay, I'll just have to think of a new idea
Sun 17/03/02 at 19:51
Regular
Jeez, sorry, I didn't know you were all going to have the same idea at once...
Sun 17/03/02 at 18:55
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Begger i was gonna post my killer app topic this week, i guess it will have to
> wait.

I thought about that idea as well...
Sun 17/03/02 at 15:01
Regular
thanks for your good feedback
Sun 17/03/02 at 12:04
Regular
good post
Sun 17/03/02 at 10:44
Regular
sorry but I pipped you to it
Sun 17/03/02 at 10:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Begger i was gonna post my killer app topic this week, i guess it will have to wait.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.