GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, I finally played Stuntman"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Stuntman'.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:15
Regular
And it's alright.
Not as frustrating and anger-inducing as I feared it would be.
But there is one major problem with it:

No participation required from you at all.
Oh dont get me wrong, you have to press the buttons but that's it. It's incredibly unforgiving etc, but the thing that really bugs me about it?

Each stunt is so defined, so exacting that there's little point in you actually playing it. Might as well be a rolling demo. With games like GTA3, you can wander about and have total freedom. With games like MGS2, you have goals but can still have a bit of interaction/exploration. With games like Resident Evil, there are set goals but you can pretty much have free reign as long as you complete the tasks etc.

But with Stuntman?
Left here. Right here. Over this jump. Handbrake turn.
No, you didn't follow it to the exact, pixelated command - try again.
It's not a case of you playing it and "taking part" in the game, it's you redoing level after level until you have muscle memory enough to mindlessly ignore everything but "Left" "Right" "Jump" "Through the alley".

Might as well be that old Simon Says game, hit the colours at the right moment. It's an exercise in timing, nothing else. Replay each level and hit each mark spot-on, with zero differing or slight change to gameplay.

Repeat. Fail. Repeat. Suceed.

It's not a bad game, just one of the most horrifically non-involving ones I've played in a looong time.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:22
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
It's just one of those games that have set instructions on what to do and generally the thrill is meant to be from actually making the stunts, beating the clock, whilst trying not to trash the car. I personally don't own the game, I found the demo quite frustrating, but kept on trying till I completed it, there are 'set goals' of making the jumps and breaking records, but it doesnt really go beyond that, it is a good game 'with a difference' but you have to like that kind of thing.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And it's alright.
Not as frustrating and anger-inducing as I feared it would be.
But there is one major problem with it:

No participation required from you at all.
Oh dont get me wrong, you have to press the buttons but that's it. It's incredibly unforgiving etc, but the thing that really bugs me about it?

Each stunt is so defined, so exacting that there's little point in you actually playing it. Might as well be a rolling demo. With games like GTA3, you can wander about and have total freedom. With games like MGS2, you have goals but can still have a bit of interaction/exploration. With games like Resident Evil, there are set goals but you can pretty much have free reign as long as you complete the tasks etc.

But with Stuntman?
Left here. Right here. Over this jump. Handbrake turn.
No, you didn't follow it to the exact, pixelated command - try again.
It's not a case of you playing it and "taking part" in the game, it's you redoing level after level until you have muscle memory enough to mindlessly ignore everything but "Left" "Right" "Jump" "Through the alley".

Might as well be that old Simon Says game, hit the colours at the right moment. It's an exercise in timing, nothing else. Replay each level and hit each mark spot-on, with zero differing or slight change to gameplay.

It's not a bad game, just one of the most horrifically non-involving ones I've played in a looong time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.