GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, I finally played Stuntman"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Stuntman'.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:15
Regular
And it's alright.
Not as frustrating and anger-inducing as I feared it would be.
But there is one major problem with it:

No participation required from you at all.
Oh dont get me wrong, you have to press the buttons but that's it. It's incredibly unforgiving etc, but the thing that really bugs me about it?

Each stunt is so defined, so exacting that there's little point in you actually playing it. Might as well be a rolling demo. With games like GTA3, you can wander about and have total freedom. With games like MGS2, you have goals but can still have a bit of interaction/exploration. With games like Resident Evil, there are set goals but you can pretty much have free reign as long as you complete the tasks etc.

But with Stuntman?
Left here. Right here. Over this jump. Handbrake turn.
No, you didn't follow it to the exact, pixelated command - try again.
It's not a case of you playing it and "taking part" in the game, it's you redoing level after level until you have muscle memory enough to mindlessly ignore everything but "Left" "Right" "Jump" "Through the alley".

Might as well be that old Simon Says game, hit the colours at the right moment. It's an exercise in timing, nothing else. Replay each level and hit each mark spot-on, with zero differing or slight change to gameplay.

Repeat. Fail. Repeat. Suceed.
Repeat. Fail. Repeat. Suceed.

It's not a bad game, just one of the most horrifically non-involving ones I've played in a looong time.
Thu 14/11/02 at 20:40
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Goatboy wrote:
> Dont get me wrong, it's not a *bad* game by any means.
> If you're the sort of person that wants to get 100% perfect in games
> then yeah I can it appealing.
>
> But, and it seems for a lot of people, the total lack of being able to
> even slightly vary from the immediate task limits the playability.

When you've done the level there's no point going back to it - you've already done it pretty much perfectly. You can't choose a different route or a different method. It's the most linear game I've ever heard of, and to be honest I'm shocked they even bothered to make something like this. Let's hope it doesn't influence Driver 3 at all.
Thu 14/11/02 at 18:15
Regular
That's what Stunt Constructor is for. And probably why it's better.
Thu 14/11/02 at 09:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dont get me wrong, it's not a *bad* game by any means.
If you're the sort of person that wants to get 100% perfect in games then yeah I can it appealing.

But, and it seems for a lot of people, the total lack of being able to even slightly vary from the immediate task limits the playability. A few seconds deviating from "left" "right" and you have to stop.
And what really bugged me?
The Dukes of Hazzard type level - I did that corkscrew jump 1st time perfect. Did they show it in the trailer? Did they hell.

All that effort for no reward.
Bah
Wed 13/11/02 at 19:11
Regular
"And some more !"
i see what you mean i played it ages ago and one little mess up and you have to start again your much better off buying something else like maybe ratchet and clank but stuntman isnt that bad if you think aboutit. it is a realistic game but annoying for us lot we just wanna do wat we wanna do
Wed 13/11/02 at 18:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I thought it was a great game overall, but I agree that it's pretty uninvolving. The Stunt Arena is what makes me say it's a great game.

The Career Mode is a little uninvolving, I agree. It'll take you a few times to do some of the harder stunts, but you're not allowed to really do anything other than the objective. You can't even go for a little spin in some particular part of a level or you'll run out of time, go the 'wrong' way, and just generally upset the director. The Career Mode is good though, and I like it.

The Stunt Arena is amazing, which is why I think it's such a good game. I've had so much fun building various arenas and absolutely destroying cars, snowmobiles, tuk-tuks and the lot by using all the equipment available. I've unlocked everything now, and I just love making huge piles of cars and smashing through them with a monster truck after jumping an almost vertical ramp! Bliss! :-)

The Driving Games can be fun too - Precision, Speed and Stunt tests, which all, although are pretty hard and annoying, can be quite fun to do.

Overall, as I've said before, many a time, I think Stuntman is a top game, but they didn't make it like I thought they'd make it. I hoped you'd be able to create your own movie stutn, choose a particular car to do a level in, and even have a multiplayer in the Stunt Arena, but none of them were probably even thought of. I still like it though - one of the best games out on the PS2 so far in my opinion.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:27
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I own the game and thoroughly enjoy it, a friend of mine said it reminded him of Dragons Lair games (press this button now, press that button now etc) - there isn't alot of user input compared to some games but it's still agreat game.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:22
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I bought the game in all the hype that surrounded it around launch. I decided to give it a chance, even though I wasn't sure if I'd like that sort of game.

I found it fun for the first few levels, but now I really don't fancy the idea of playing on it again. To me, it's become incredibly boring and way too linear.

There's no fun in doing exactly what the game wants you to do. I like to explore a bit, do my own thing, then go and finish a particular level when I feel like it. I often found myself taking my time on MGS2 just to explore the levels without necessarily doing my mission straight away.

So it still sits on my Shelf, good game to start off with, but I just can't be bothered to repeat each level over and over again.
Wed 13/11/02 at 15:21
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
What bugged me was that there's no possible way you could go through the stunt in one take on the first time, it practically forces you to have several goes to make it. There's no feeling of achievement in that, there's things on some stunts where youwouldn't possibly know it was coming unless you already smashed into it on your last go.

And the loading times suck.
Wed 13/11/02 at 13:32
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
That's exactly the reason I didn't get it. It's like Driver only minus the fun bits.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah I see your point.

I think this game appeals to those people that like to get 100% perfect when they play. The sorts of people that search for all packages on GTA3, collected all the dog tags on MGS2 etc.
If you're just a casual gamer, it's amusing for a while but then the idea of repeating the level over and over and over merely reacting to a voice command doesn't appeal.

Nope, gimme Vice City, Smackdown 4, Splinter Cell etc - something not as hardcore as Stuntman.
Good (ish) game, not my cuppa though

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.