GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buy SD4. Now."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE SmackDown: Shut your mouth'.
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:31
Regular
That is the message, pure and simple. For a short while I was actually sceptical about Shut Your Mouth, mainly because I was disappointed with Just Bring It. Things weren't included that I though should have been sure fire inclusions, and the fact that they weren't smacked of laziness on the part of the developers. Because of this, I was reluctant to get Smackdown 4 - but due to the persistent insurance of Herc that it would be a classic (what a visionary :D) I decided to get it, and thankfully, it delivers what should have been delivered a year ago.

Presentation-wise, the game remains as slick as ever. Entrances have been enhanced, and the wrestler likenesses are even more so than JBI - although some do look a little wierd (D-Von, The Rock) guys like Booker T and Hulk Hogan are just about an accurate a representation as you're are going to get. Their mannerisms are spot on too, from Booker T's glaring stare (usually at his hand) to Jericho's nonchalant stamps. The menus are great as usual, so that's ok.

But Smackdown has always been about style over substance, and I was apprehensive that it would still fall short where it really mattered - in the squared circle (ring for the uninitiated). However, Yukes have come up trumps. For the first team, the action has a really meaty feel to it, so when you connect with a big move, the impact is felt, unlike the wishy washy reactions of Just Bring It. Also much improved is the reaction to weaponry, similarly, chair shot actually make a proper sound rather than the previous hollow chime, you can now do moves onto the ladder, and tables can be propped up to cause carnage - not that much of a change, but its amazing how much this tiny difference improves the gameplay.

The wealth of options has been faithfully retained - as well as the modes from JBI, the pitiful season mode has been comlpetely overhauled, incorporating the brand extension as you can create your won drafts. Now played over two seasons, you can control your wrestler as he tries to climb the ladder (no pun intended) to WWE glory. PPVs now take place in addition to weekly Raw or Smackdown shows (depending on what draft you're in), and all the arenas have been faithfully recreated in all their digital glory. And a lot of wrestlers there are too, Yukes expanding the roster to 60 playable characters, with new additions such as Rob Van Dam, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels correct and present.

As well as the improvement to the season mode, other game modes have been improved - CAW mode is as exhaustive as ever, HiaC is majorly improved - the cage actaully surrounds the ring, allowing your to mesh your opponents face in the side - you can kick down the door and climb the cell as well. Contrary to the ultra unrealistic JBI HiaC, where you could never run off the top of the cell, and when you did you landed perfectly, now moves have to be timed perfectly, and falling off the cage results in much damage. Good stuff at last, Yukes.

However, for everything that Yukes have finally done properly this time, there are still a few gripes - graphically, it doesn't even come close to the games on Xbox or Gamecube, as the jagged edges are still prevalent. The commentary takes the 'less is more' approach - now with J.R. and the King, its mre appropriate but much scarcer, and JR. screaming after a massive move is still sadly missing. Still, it beats Michael Cole bleating "He's a great Texan" in a Regal/ Jericho match. Lastly, there is no blood, dammit! The introduction of the red stuff would take the game, and the matches, to a new level, a feature sadly missing.

I wanted to put most of this in my review, but a) the new 3000 character thing wouldn't have allowed it, and b) if there is anyone in my position unsure whether to get this after the disappointment of JBI, then I urge you to - for the first time it feels like step forward rather than a step sidewards with a graphics update. It's not perfect, but this is the most definitive WWE game you are going to get.

So buy it. Now.

:D
Sun 17/11/02 at 15:51
Regular
Mandatare wrote:

>:(
>I thought this was about Spyro the Dragon 4

Lol, If it was, i don't think this thread would be that popular :D

I wnat Smackdown 4 so much, it teased me in the shop yesterday.

Meh!
Sun 17/11/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
:(
I thought this was about Spyro the Dragon 4
Sun 17/11/02 at 10:59
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
*Foams at mouth*

You lucky gits already have, I have to wait until 29th November - my brother's birthday :P
Sun 17/11/02 at 09:52
Regular
"  "
AfroJoe wrote:
> Nå†ßu© wrote:
> I'm tempted in buying it, I really am.
>
> ---
>
> I hope my rather extensive post helped to convince you.
>
> :-D

Heh, I was only joking with DW and RM, so no, not really :D
Sun 17/11/02 at 09:48
Regular
"And some more !"
stop writing to much its giving me a headache ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
but i do think its a good game andalready have ordered it from some place i cant remember
Sun 17/11/02 at 08:24
Regular
Season mode is tons better. Full stop.

Playing as Booker T, I was walking backstage as the five time, five time, five time, five time, five time WCW champion when I bumped into Eddie Guerrero, the sucka that won the No.1. Contenders match we had because I DQ'd myself after using the steel steps on him. Then Lita came up and he started chatting up Lita - I had the choice of joining him, walking away or stopping it, so being the chilvarous guy I am, I stopped it, leading to an impromptu rematch in the ring, in which I beat the living hell out of him. And Lita accompanied me to the next match.

This rules.
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:23
Regular
*Drools*

I want to be playing this game right now!

*Drools some more*
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> I'm tempted in buying it, I really am.

---

I hope my rather extensive post helped to convince you.

:-D
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:17
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ah, it's brilliance in a small, blue and grey box with words on it.

I've spent about 8 hours today just playing it constantly - only taking a one hour break, with in which I played Vice City. :-D

Nah, really, sheer brilliance.

The Career Mode has just improved so much - I started one off with The Rock today, and drafted myself into SmackDown - I won the Undisputed Championship 5 shows after, at Backlash, and have kept it since. Although I've kept it, I'm not unbeaten - been beaten quite a few times in fact, but I've always come out on top when it mattered. At Insurrexion I won the European Championship, which was slightly baffling - I didn't even know that my match with William Regal was for the Championship, which is why it baffled me so much. I haven't defended that title yet, and I'm about 4 or 5 main events on from it - queer, eh? Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Career Mode, possibly even more than I normally would due to SmackDown 3: Just Bring It's really poor Career Mode, and expectation for something similar made my mind up that it wasn't going to be too good in this one either - how wrong I was. Top stuff!

The Exhibition has been brilliant fun so far too - all the matches are available from the start, which means I don't have to play in Career Mode for ages before being able to play in the Hell In A Cell, which was the first thing I did. I've tried to go through as many match types as possible with as many superstars as possible, and so far, the matches that have impressed me most are the Armageddon Hell In A Cell 6-Way Match and the TLC, which are both brilliant fun, especially with mates. I use Booker T, Rob Van Dam, The Rock and Rhyno quite a lot, because they all rule! Wahey! :-D

There are plenty of other great things to do in the game as well - there's the Create A Wrestler mode, which should only be used if you have a long period of free time on your hands - it's gigantic, no joke. There are just thousands of moves, so many items of clothing and a multitide of taunts, special accessories and ways of fighting to use. To sum it up in one word: veryhugeandmassive. :-D

Top game, love it!
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:01
Regular
"  "
I'm tempted in buying it, I really am.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.