GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buy SD4. Now."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE SmackDown: Shut your mouth'.
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:31
Regular
That is the message, pure and simple. For a short while I was actually sceptical about Shut Your Mouth, mainly because I was disappointed with Just Bring It. Things weren't included that I though should have been sure fire inclusions, and the fact that they weren't smacked of laziness on the part of the developers. Because of this, I was reluctant to get Smackdown 4 - but due to the persistent insurance of Herc that it would be a classic (what a visionary :D) I decided to get it, and thankfully, it delivers what should have been delivered a year ago.

Presentation-wise, the game remains as slick as ever. Entrances have been enhanced, and the wrestler likenesses are even more so than JBI - although some do look a little wierd (D-Von, The Rock) guys like Booker T and Hulk Hogan are just about an accurate a representation as you're are going to get. Their mannerisms are spot on too, from Booker T's glaring stare (usually at his hand) to Jericho's nonchalant stamps. The menus are great as usual, so that's ok.

But Smackdown has always been about style over substance, and I was apprehensive that it would still fall short where it really mattered - in the squared circle (ring for the uninitiated). However, Yukes have come up trumps. For the first team, the action has a really meaty feel to it, so when you connect with a big move, the impact is felt, unlike the wishy washy reactions of Just Bring It. Also much improved is the reaction to weaponry, similarly, chair shot actually make a proper sound rather than the previous hollow chime, you can now do moves onto the ladder, and tables can be propped up to cause carnage - not that much of a change, but its amazing how much this tiny difference improves the gameplay.

The wealth of options has been faithfully retained - as well as the modes from JBI, the pitiful season mode has been comlpetely overhauled, incorporating the brand extension as you can create your won drafts. Now played over two seasons, you can control your wrestler as he tries to climb the ladder (no pun intended) to WWE glory. PPVs now take place in addition to weekly Raw or Smackdown shows (depending on what draft you're in), and all the arenas have been faithfully recreated in all their digital glory. And a lot of wrestlers there are too, Yukes expanding the roster to 60 playable characters, with new additions such as Rob Van Dam, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels correct and present.

As well as the improvement to the season mode, other game modes have been improved - CAW mode is as exhaustive as ever, HiaC is majorly improved - the cage actaully surrounds the ring, allowing your to mesh your opponents face in the side - you can kick down the door and climb the cell as well. Contrary to the ultra unrealistic JBI HiaC, where you could never run off the top of the cell, and when you did you landed perfectly, now moves have to be timed perfectly, and falling off the cage results in much damage. Good stuff at last, Yukes.

However, for everything that Yukes have finally done properly this time, there are still a few gripes - graphically, it doesn't even come close to the games on Xbox or Gamecube, as the jagged edges are still prevalent. The commentary takes the 'less is more' approach - now with J.R. and the King, its mre appropriate but much scarcer, and JR. screaming after a massive move is still sadly missing. Still, it beats Michael Cole bleating "He's a great Texan" in a Regal/ Jericho match. Lastly, there is no blood, dammit! The introduction of the red stuff would take the game, and the matches, to a new level, a feature sadly missing.

I wanted to put most of this in my review, but a) the new 3000 character thing wouldn't have allowed it, and b) if there is anyone in my position unsure whether to get this after the disappointment of JBI, then I urge you to - for the first time it feels like step forward rather than a step sidewards with a graphics update. It's not perfect, but this is the most definitive WWE game you are going to get.

So buy it. Now.

:D
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:31
Regular
That is the message, pure and simple. For a short while I was actually sceptical about Shut Your Mouth, mainly because I was disappointed with Just Bring It. Things weren't included that I though should have been sure fire inclusions, and the fact that they weren't smacked of laziness on the part of the developers. Because of this, I was reluctant to get Smackdown 4 - but due to the persistent insurance of Herc that it would be a classic (what a visionary :D) I decided to get it, and thankfully, it delivers what should have been delivered a year ago.

Presentation-wise, the game remains as slick as ever. Entrances have been enhanced, and the wrestler likenesses are even more so than JBI - although some do look a little wierd (D-Von, The Rock) guys like Booker T and Hulk Hogan are just about an accurate a representation as you're are going to get. Their mannerisms are spot on too, from Booker T's glaring stare (usually at his hand) to Jericho's nonchalant stamps. The menus are great as usual, so that's ok.

But Smackdown has always been about style over substance, and I was apprehensive that it would still fall short where it really mattered - in the squared circle (ring for the uninitiated). However, Yukes have come up trumps. For the first team, the action has a really meaty feel to it, so when you connect with a big move, the impact is felt, unlike the wishy washy reactions of Just Bring It. Also much improved is the reaction to weaponry, similarly, chair shot actually make a proper sound rather than the previous hollow chime, you can now do moves onto the ladder, and tables can be propped up to cause carnage - not that much of a change, but its amazing how much this tiny difference improves the gameplay.

The wealth of options has been faithfully retained - as well as the modes from JBI, the pitiful season mode has been comlpetely overhauled, incorporating the brand extension as you can create your won drafts. Now played over two seasons, you can control your wrestler as he tries to climb the ladder (no pun intended) to WWE glory. PPVs now take place in addition to weekly Raw or Smackdown shows (depending on what draft you're in), and all the arenas have been faithfully recreated in all their digital glory. And a lot of wrestlers there are too, Yukes expanding the roster to 60 playable characters, with new additions such as Rob Van Dam, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels correct and present.

As well as the improvement to the season mode, other game modes have been improved - CAW mode is as exhaustive as ever, HiaC is majorly improved - the cage actaully surrounds the ring, allowing your to mesh your opponents face in the side - you can kick down the door and climb the cell as well. Contrary to the ultra unrealistic JBI HiaC, where you could never run off the top of the cell, and when you did you landed perfectly, now moves have to be timed perfectly, and falling off the cage results in much damage. Good stuff at last, Yukes.

However, for everything that Yukes have finally done properly this time, there are still a few gripes - graphically, it doesn't even come close to the games on Xbox or Gamecube, as the jagged edges are still prevalent. The commentary takes the 'less is more' approach - now with J.R. and the King, its mre appropriate but much scarcer, and JR. screaming after a massive move is still sadly missing. Still, it beats Michael Cole bleating "He's a great Texan" in a Regal/ Jericho match. Lastly, there is no blood, dammit! The introduction of the red stuff would take the game, and the matches, to a new level, a feature sadly missing.

I wanted to put most of this in my review, but a) the new 3000 character thing wouldn't have allowed it, and b) if there is anyone in my position unsure whether to get this after the disappointment of JBI, then I urge you to - for the first time it feels like step forward rather than a step sidewards with a graphics update. It's not perfect, but this is the most definitive WWE game you are going to get.

So buy it. Now.

:D
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:34
Regular
"  "
No :P
Sat 16/11/02 at 19:36
Regular
Foolish earthling!

:)
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:07
Regular
I totally agree with Russ. Buy it, whether you like WWE or not. Hell in a Cell was truely amazing, and has totally developed since Just Bring It. Tables, Ladders and Chairs (oh my ;cD) was an experiance. The tables are breakable from the corner post now, adding realism and enjoyment to this aspect of the game. Ladders are twice as good now. You're able to drill your opponants head into it, plus push the ladder down with your opponant, or in some cases OPPONANTS on it. Being able to grab weapons from under the ring rocked. Also, 6 Man Elimination Table match was cool. Overall...favourite match was HiaC, closely followed by TLC. Bit disapointed about the crappy commentary. But, needless to say, this game is a must buy. Ah well, your loss if you choose not to buy it. Oh, for any WWE SD!series fans...Season Mode is the most interactive yet, as I found out today. Went up to the Phat Man 'Kishi for him to ask me had I been doing my "Pre-match rituals". The choices in reply were easy to create feuds or allies. Walked in to an angry Eddie Guerrero (who has an amazing move set I might add. El Paso is truely phenominal (sp?)) and nearly got into a fight with him. Going on the train to WWE The World was good. Watching the Draft, and Austin's "Which way will he go" segment was cool. Also interfered in Trish -Vs- Molly Holly as Brock Lesnar, and F-Fived both women AND the annoying but VERY realistic Earl Hebnor. Helped Trish to a victory, and even though she was p!ssed off with the F5 she got, I think she began to trust me. RVD's Van Daminator (Van Terminator isn't in the game :c( heh) is awesome; see my tips below of how to execute it. If I had to rate this game, I'd give it a 9. Lacks a few small things (and Create-a-PPV, which annoyed Ant), but certainly good on the whole.

To perform a Van Daminator...

SELECT RVD in a NO DQ match. Get one SmackDown Special up, and go outside of the ring. Grab a steel chair, and take it back in the ring. Walk facing your opponant, and press x + >. Instantly press L1 and L2 to see RVD fly up and kick that steel chair into his opponants face!

To perform your opponants finisher...

Make sure you have TWO SmackDown Specials up this time round. Get in the position that is required to do your opponants finisher, make them groggy and then press L1 and L2. You will perform their finishing move. Note, this will take both your SmackDown Specials. To know if you've done it (of course, you'll do you'll do their finisher and HOPEFULLY recognise it), you should have a RED SmackDown logo flash across the screen instead of the standard blue.

To reverse a finisher...

Press L1 and Square when your opponant presses L1 to do their finisher. You will lose a SmackDown Special, so you do need one up, and timing is vital.

Bullet time mode...

Press L1 to do a finisher, and press L1 again to go into bullet time mode.

Now, I hope you all run off and buy this game. I'm now off to do a Spinerooni.
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:14
Regular
"  "
RM18 wrote:
> Foolish earthling!
>
> :)

Heh, you said it :)
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:45
Regular
Some other things I forgot to mention:

The fluidity of movement - alongside the meatier action is a more fluid system that enables you to move from one move quickly to the next, and reversals are better this time - harder to execute, but a system that works well because it improves the problem of JBI's constant reversals, which made it difficult to gain any momentum.

Better mannerisms, in the respect that they act in the ring as they would in real life, e.g. Flair begging for mercy before hitting a low blow, The Rock talking smack as he executes moves. Also when laying the smackdown, the wrestler actually lets you hit the move rather than running off as he did in JBI, which adds to the realism.

Nice touches - just little things that add to the overall experience, such as being able to drag weapons from underneath the ring, spit that flies from the wrestlers as they exchange blows, expressions of pain as they are under pressure, and being able to remove the turnbuckle cover - it adds much realism to the overall package.

Oh, and thanks for the tips DW. :D
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:48
Regular
Oh, and I forgot something too. Hurricane totally rocks! He's so, how can I word this without sounding gay...errr...light. :cD

No, really, he is just easy to control. Hurrislam (I refuse to call it the Hurri Chokeslam) just rules, the Eye of the Hurricane is so smooth and the hand shake simply kicks asss. Oh, and pressing R1 does Hurricanes entrance taunt. Heh.
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:50
Regular
"  "
Cool that sounds fantastic!
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:52
Regular
Kane being hit is cool. He takes it like a man (hur hur) before clotheslining his opponant to hell. If you remove the corner padding as Eddie Guerrero and have one special up...Irish Whip him into the showing metal corner thingy and then go with him. He'll bounce off right into an El Paso, and will land perfectly so you don't have any crap Rope Break. And Russ, did you not know about the Weapon Moves? Chuck Palumbo (and most other wrestlers, it's just I was controlling him at the time) does a DDT onto the steel chair, denting it whilst at it. RM, you know where I can find a move list so I can see which each wrestlers Weapon Special is? Oh, and come on MSN please. :c)
Sat 16/11/02 at 20:53
Regular
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> Cool that sounds fantastic!

I bet you're gunna rush out and buy this game tomorrow. Me and Russ have convinced you...admit it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.