GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'nu-metal' or 'pop-metal'??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 17:40
Regular
I think that now this question has to be asked about nu-metal:
'Is it really nu-metal or should it be re-named 'pop-metal' due to it's chart success???'

I think that 'yes' could be the answer, and all you have to do is look around to see why!

Look at the results for the pop charts over the last couple of months. We've seen nu-metal bands of the likes of Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Staind and now Puddle of Mudd riding high in the top 20, when many of us know they really shouldn't be there!

All rock bands (including metal) start out as a small group of about 5 guys who decide they want to form a new band. They start playing and practicing together, producing their own work, and some may eventually become good enough to earn gigs and pubs and nights-out, and maybe then get signed up by a record label, some as big as Interscope.
They have worked their way up from the bottom and nearer to the top, where they become doomed to fail.

Pop/dance groups on the other hand (not bands!) are made up simply of random people who meet after becoming the 6/7 finalists in a televised contest like Pop Idol. They don't know each other, they've never met before, and they're thrown together to try and make something work between them. But how can they when they don't even know ONE of another memebers' interests???
So, they are given a manager to take control and rake in the stacks full of cash due to their 'un-earned' success. They don't even write their own songs, or create their own dance routines!! So how on Earth can they be making music when all they do is move around, mime, and earn their manager loads of money???

As you can see, pop and rock are 2 completely different genres of music. One is for the hard-working friends who do everything for and by themselves, while the other is a for the lazy people who want to cry out "ME MEE MEEE!!!!" infront of thousands of people, while doing all their 'hard-work' *COUGH* for anyone but themselves.

I'm not trying to say that these 2 genres are similar to each other, but nu-metal is music that is invading a place where it does not belong - in a world for little kids and girls where nothing is real, all immitations!
But for some reason, all these fans of pop and dance music have taken a liking to bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, and I can honestly not see how or why they're interested in this style of music!!???
To me, it's a problem. And it means that not everything in the music world is right. Something needs to be done!
Maybe Linkin Park should swear - but then listeners might think they're cool because of these explicit lyrics.
Maybe they should be 'heavier' like true metal - that'd probably work, as it'd be too loud for their ears that are used to listening to happy songs about flowers and animals!

If we have too many of our metal idols falling into this trap then they'll be finnished before you can say "NOOOOOOO!!!!"
Bands like Limp Bizkit have already been affected, look at the huge slip in quality when comparing their first album '3 Dollar Bill, Yall£' with the latest pair of 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water' and 'New Old Songs'. I believed they've lost the plot due to the influence of their new-found pop fans, and this could be part of the reason as to why Wes Borland found it all too much and left the band! Good on ya!

By listening to Linkin Park's debut album 'Hybrid Theory' you can sort of see how and why pop fans have taken a liking to it, with easier listning songs like 'In The End', which has been drained of life due to publicity.
If LP release their next album full of 'Crawling's and 'One Step Closer's, and ignore their new-found fans, they'll be back on track to be one of the greatest rock bands to date!!

But the way things are going, Linkin Park and co. will surely be branded 'pop-metallers'. :S
Tue 12/03/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think that now this question has to be asked about nu-metal:
'Is it really nu-metal or should it be re-named 'pop-metal' due to it's chart success???'

I think that 'yes' could be the answer, and all you have to do is look around to see why!

Look at the results for the pop charts over the last couple of months. We've seen nu-metal bands of the likes of Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Staind and now Puddle of Mudd riding high in the top 20, when many of us know they really shouldn't be there!

All rock bands (including metal) start out as a small group of about 5 guys who decide they want to form a new band. They start playing and practicing together, producing their own work, and some may eventually become good enough to earn gigs and pubs and nights-out, and maybe then get signed up by a record label, some as big as Interscope.
They have worked their way up from the bottom and nearer to the top, where they become doomed to fail.

Pop/dance groups on the other hand (not bands!) are made up simply of random people who meet after becoming the 6/7 finalists in a televised contest like Pop Idol. They don't know each other, they've never met before, and they're thrown together to try and make something work between them. But how can they when they don't even know ONE of another memebers' interests???
So, they are given a manager to take control and rake in the stacks full of cash due to their 'un-earned' success. They don't even write their own songs, or create their own dance routines!! So how on Earth can they be making music when all they do is move around, mime, and earn their manager loads of money???

As you can see, pop and rock are 2 completely different genres of music. One is for the hard-working friends who do everything for and by themselves, while the other is a for the lazy people who want to cry out "ME MEE MEEE!!!!" infront of thousands of people, while doing all their 'hard-work' *COUGH* for anyone but themselves.

I'm not trying to say that these 2 genres are similar to each other, but nu-metal is music that is invading a place where it does not belong - in a world for little kids and girls where nothing is real, all immitations!
But for some reason, all these fans of pop and dance music have taken a liking to bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, and I can honestly not see how or why they're interested in this style of music!!???
To me, it's a problem. And it means that not everything in the music world is right. Something needs to be done!
Maybe Linkin Park should swear - but then listeners might think they're cool because of these explicit lyrics.
Maybe they should be 'heavier' like true metal - that'd probably work, as it'd be too loud for their ears that are used to listening to happy songs about flowers and animals!

If we have too many of our metal idols falling into this trap then they'll be finnished before you can say "NOOOOOOO!!!!"
Bands like Limp Bizkit have already been affected, look at the huge slip in quality when comparing their first album '3 Dollar Bill, Yall£' with the latest pair of 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water' and 'New Old Songs'. I believed they've lost the plot due to the influence of their new-found pop fans, and this could be part of the reason as to why Wes Borland found it all too much and left the band! Good on ya!

By listening to Linkin Park's debut album 'Hybrid Theory' you can sort of see how and why pop fans have taken a liking to it, with easier listning songs like 'In The End', which has been drained of life due to publicity.
If LP release their next album full of 'Crawling's and 'One Step Closer's, and ignore their new-found fans, they'll be back on track to be one of the greatest rock bands to date!!

But the way things are going, Linkin Park and co. will surely be branded 'pop-metallers'. :S
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:02
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Basically so many people are getting into these bands as their friends start to like them, the bands get heard about more, so are 'cooler' and then more people start to like them. It is a cycle, and the reason people are getting the music is because it is different. Pop music is basically saturating the airwaves, and people get sick of it. So alternate styles are mixed in, the way dance music has become so big, and now nu-metal too. It's just a cycle, so the radio has at least some songs that aren't by annoyingly generic pop bands, and the radio stations can claim they play a diverse range of music.

But in theory, rock and pop music are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Pop music is based around putting a 'star' up on a pedestal and getting fans to mindlessly worship them. Rock music SHOULD be about a band not getting a big ego despite success, and still being approachable if you know what I mean. Not thinking they are above normal people. In fact, this doesn't always happen in rock music, but the ideal is still there for a lot of bands.

I also don't think you can really blame pop fans for watering down the styles. If a band wants chart success, they will water down their style before they get any pop fans liking them. That is what is generally called 'selling out', but this term is dangerous to use. Who knows the motivation behind a bands change in style? How would you or I know whether a band is naturally progressing, or just changing so more people will like them? I doubt many of us are positioned to make that judgement call.

Anyway, to be blunt, did Linkin Park ever actually do pub gigs? Although they may not be manufactured in the sense of them not knowing each other and that, the record label still probably just picked em up cheap as they were unheard of and played this nu-metal stuff that was seemingly coming into fashion, and turned them into the success they are today.
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I don't really think it matters. If someone enjoys one kind of music over another then that's their choice.

Trying to classify music is pretty pointless because you should just listen to what you like and let others do the same.

I think Pop Idol and groups like Hearsay are the biggest marketing con ever, but it doesnt bother me and you won't find me moaning to other people about them. I don't like their songs - thats why I don't like them. Lots of people do like their songs , and good for them.

My point ?; it doesnt matter whether a band is nu:metal, metal, punk, pop, marketing ploy or whatever - lets all juts enjoy hte music we like ! :)
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
see the topic 'The Warring Factions'... it is kind of related to this topic.
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:55
Regular
the only thing which pees me off is when i see little 7 year olds in linkin park hoodies or when idiots at school rave about popular stuff like limp bizkit. then when i tell them about the real rock like system of a down and feeder they just laugh in your face.
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:05
not nesserely thier are loads of nu-metal bands not in the charts
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
nu-metal sucks.
Sorry, but it's been proven by scientists in hoodies and big shorts on skateboards.
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You do know there's a simple four letter word in the English language that comes in extremely useful when describing these bands, don't you? Just incase you're unaware, the word is 'Shi...*Snuggly runs and smashes monkey_man with his cyber truncheon*

Ooo-er.
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And this is why "HFKD" is in the infant stages of being formed and planned.

Huge F---ing Killer Dog

Pure, undiluted rock.
No shorts, no hoodies, no DJs, no whining about parents or school.

It's all about rock, women, drugs, satan and really really big canine death monsters.
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You must have seen Big Trouble In Litle China last night then!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.