GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is the ps2 good"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/11/02 at 18:31
Regular
im thinking of buying the ps2 soon and i wanted to know if it was good or not people are saying that the xbox is better cause i ve aleady got a gamecube and i want another and im thinking of the ps2 i know that gta vc is one of the best games on it but what other reasons are there for buying it

plae help me im confused

heeeeeeeeelllllllllpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:14
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Maybe its because i have been playing Champ on my PC for all these years, but i really dont see the appeal to play games like that on a console. I just dont feel they were made for that. I think the only people that are really going to bother with Champ on the X-box are those who dont have a good enough PC to play it. Otherwise the X-box is going to have to rely on other games to act as the pulling power.

I decided to get a PS2 before the GC or X-box were even out to buy, and i still stand by that judgement more than before i even bought it. The console caters for my gaming desires. It has the games i want to play and no other console does. And in the end, as said, thats whats need to base your console choice on.
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:36
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
ssxpro wrote:
> My guess is that the decision was pretty much already made. If you`re
> fairly sure you want to go for a certain console... but do realise
> there are other possibilities, its nice to have other people pat you
> on the back and say "Ya made the right decision", as it`ll
> take away the doubt that any wise person has, and allow that person to
> feel good about their decision.

This is very true. Way back in 96 (or was it 97) I nearly bought an N64 - I wanted a Playstation at first but then the N64 was released and hyped as a far superior console. General advice (from friends, not shops) was to get a Playstation. Boy am I glad I made that decision!
Wed 27/11/02 at 14:30
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
As this is a playstation forum, you gonna get everyone sayin get a playstation, is i would.

But i really can't get enough of my PS2 at the minute. I've my PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2 master league team sat waiting in 2nd position ready for a promotion push, to div 2.

I have tommy vercetti, sat in his newly aquired mansion, with a helicopter on the roof, a speedboat round the back and a lamborgini and a harley sat in the garage, all ready to go wreak havock in the beautiful VICE CITY.

My STUNTMAN career is on hold for the time being as i wrecked my car.

My CONFLICT: DESTERT STORM campaign has been put on hold, because of lack of supplies.

And i'm waiting to buy:

TIMESPLITTERS 2
TIGER WOODS 2003
RED FACTION 2
HITMAN 2
(mmmmmm,a theme apearing here)

PLUS this wonderful machine PLAYS ALL MY DVD's.

In fact i think it will cook my tea and wash my clothes aswell, but i havn't found the button for it yet.

I LOVE IT, get a PS2 my frind and above mentioned games and you'll start to wish for more hours in the day, like i do.
Thu 28/11/02 at 11:29
"Darkness, always"
This is true of any console though.

I have 12 GC games. Can't find enough time to play them all.

Several PS2 owners have as many or more games for their console.
There may well be XBOX owners with 10+ games.

All depends what you like to play. Each console offers something different.

But it is well known that millions of people bought PS2s simply because of the reputation, rather than any of the games available.
Thu 28/11/02 at 12:00
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> But it is well known that millions of people bought PS2s simply
> because of the reputation, rather than any of the games available.

It is not well known. Just because of a little speculation on the forums, things gradually grow, and get accepted in every argument... until eventually they are "facts" that everyone "knows". Its absolute rubbish. I`m sure loads of people here would like to believe they are superior and that regular people on the street buy the brand not the console, but people out there aren`t actually that stupid. Its true that game licences still cause a lot of bad games to get sold, but when it comes to consoles the amount of money involved makes it different.

People don`t wander into shops and say "Oooh, thats a Sony one, that`ll be better", they want to know more. They find out about the games, they remember past PS1 experiences, they see the huge line up of games on the shelves (in nearly every store I go into there are nearly twice as many PS2 shelves as there are GC and X-box put together), they listen to other people talk about the fun they have on PS2, they see the adverts for the game etc...

Its probably true that the name plays a small part. Sony's TVs, Hi-fis etc... are top quality, and people know they are buying a secure product, where as with Microsoft you`re never sure what could happen, but it is not "simply because of the reputation" at all.

Assuming you are right though, and for some reason there are millions of "inferior beings" that have bought the console simply because of the name, thats still only a small portion of the PS2's sold. With 50 million approaching fast, a few million sales here or there due to brand name do not take away from the fact that PS2 is a hugely popular console because it is a good console. It has the games that we like, and we buy it.

Is there something Sony has done that makes you jealous of their success? Are you an employee at Nintendo?
Thu 28/11/02 at 12:46
"Darkness, always"
I'm not jealous of anything. And I'm not getting dragged into a dumb argument. Sony have done well, but it's not a technological success, it's a marketing one.

I for one know at least two people who bought PS2s before they even had any idea what games were going to be on it.

"Ooh, PS2, must have it!"

Stupidity.

Personally, I pledged not to own any of the consoles until there was something I desperately wanted on them.

For me, Star Wars: Rogue Leader tipped the balance for the GameCube, so I got one. I still have yet to see a "must have" game on the PS2, so I don't have one. And before any fool starts listing some endless rhetoric of games I don't care about, try to remember that it has been made startlingly obvious before now that my idea of a "must have" game differs greatly from what many other people believe.

I think I have a sensible approach, as do most good buyers, but there is definitely an element of people who buy consoles without a clue as to what they're getting into. As far as I'm aware, this element belongs mainly to PS2 owners, as I've never encountered a GC owner in the same vein, and don't even know anyone with an XBOX, so can't comment.

It's all very well thinking that the 40 odd million people ALL knew what they were doing when they bought their PS2s, but given the general target audience (spotty teenagers), I find it very hard to believe, especially when I have seen people buy it for the wrong reasons with my own eyes.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:09
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
> is definitely an element of people who buy consoles without a clue as
> to what they're getting into.

That's none of your business anyway.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:11
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
> especially when I have seen people buy it for the wrong
> reasons with my own eyes.

Ah! Would this be the infamous "All-seeing eye"?? So it also allows you to read peoples minds? That's quite a skill you have there.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:13
"Darkness, always"
Darwock wrote:
> Ah! Would this be the infamous "All-seeing eye"?? So it also
> allows you to read peoples minds? That's quite a skill you have there.

Do I look like a flaming, lidless eye to you?

When someone buys a console, and then has no idea what game to buy for it for the next three months, you now they have made a folly ridden decision in buying it.

I don't need to be clairevoyant to see that.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm guessing your still fixated in the past - round about when the PS2 was launched, two years ago by any chance?

There's at least a dozen games worth buying right off the bat for the PS2 at the moment. If these poor souls you speak of are so easily duped by marketing then they will know exactly what those titles are.

By the way, you can be arrested for stalking people for as long as 3 months. It's none of your concern what console they buy - leave them alone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.