GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MoH Airborne crashes"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Medal Of Honor: Airborne'.
Sat 20/10/07 at 12:07
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Looking for any ideas to successfully play MOH Airborne without numerous crashes. Have re-installed and updated to version 1.1 of the game, forceware drivers updated etc etc. Campaign one completed successfully, however now crashes in game on campaign two. Frozen screen, unfreezes, blocky graphics, doesn't respond to key presses, screen alternates between black and full display, crashes to desktop and continues to alternate between black screen and desktop display, then monitor switches off!! Is this the usual offering from EA? Bioshock runs perfectly on same machine.

Spec: Pentium 4 3GHz HT, 1Gb RAM, GeForce 7600GT 256mb, 160Gb Hard Drive

Any solutions would be welcome
Tue 23/10/07 at 22:55
Regular
"Mooching around"
Heh, not a great buy all in all then!

Never mind, like you've said in a previous post, just wait for CoD 4. If the trailers are to be believed, it looks set to be a must buy.
Tue 23/10/07 at 23:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Question - can a game fry a graphics card?
> Because that is what it appears. Bioshock ran like a dream, and
> yes you could say the card may have been failing - but it's
> bizarre. Had cards fail before, but not like this.

Its not impossible, but its not likely either. A game has fairly limited access to a graphics card really. Exposure is limited to what the graphics drivers and (in windows) what directx allows. So there arent too many opportunities to do major damage that wont be caught by either of them. I know both Bioshock and Airborne use the unreal 3 engine but I imagine Airborne was just stressing the card in a way that Bioshock doesnt.
I can relate a similar tale in fact. My gfx card is on the way out too. Even though my PSU is fine the card seems incapable of drawing enough power from it. When I benchmark the card, it posts results something like a third of what it should do. Yet I can still run Bioshock at details levels and framerates that are normal for my card. Unreal tournment 3 (same game engine again)doesnt run at all either. And I've no doubt some day soon I'll try a game that'll make the card keel over permanently.

> All sorted now, installed new BFG Geforce 7900GS OC tonight. I'm
> not going to tempt fate and re-install MOH Airborne for love nor
> money.

Hey, at least your card is still under warranty. Nows the time to try it. :)
Tue 23/10/07 at 23:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Chaos wrote:
> Never mind, like you've said in a previous post, just wait for
> CoD 4. If the trailers are to be believed, it looks set to be a
> must buy.

The demo is really nice, quite immersive. Not sure if its not over scripted though.
Wed 24/10/07 at 18:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Garin for your wise words - much appreciated. One reason that I was able to replace the card so quickly was because I went out and bought it - as a result of trying the warranty!!!

Spent 3/4hr on the phone to MicroDirect, who supplied the INNO3D card. Finally was asked for card's serial number. Not bad, but card at home me at work!! Never mind, Returns Dept would send email requesting number - not yet they haven't. On receipt of Returns number, I can, at my own cost, return it to them and they will send it to INNO3D in Taiwan for repair or replacement - about 4 weeks!!!

You can now perhaps see why I bought a new one. This warranty doesn't seem to be worth the paper it's written on!!!

Any way, happy now - got my right arm back...ha ha
Thu 25/10/07 at 19:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Curiosity possibly killed the cat, but I reakon it gets us gamers into loads of trouble aswell! So against my better judgement, I'm going to try MoH again. That's the spirit I hear you cry, so...in anticipation... any reliable game settings would be appreciated.
Fri 02/11/07 at 09:31
Regular
"eeast weeeeeeeeeezy"
> The demo is really nice, quite immersive. Not sure if its not
> over scripted though.

I downloaded the demo from xbox live it was rubbish!!!!!!!!!
Sun 11/11/07 at 15:03
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just started HL2 Ep2 - runs like a dream. Made me wonder, HL2 uses Havok physix - no problems, no extras etc. MoH Airborne uses an add on - Aegia Physixs - why? Installing MoHA, installs Aegia. No card, so no use! Software use only and then it won't accept and run updated Aegia software. Is this necessary or will MoH run without Aegia software?
Sun 11/11/07 at 16:09
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
MOH is still using the PhysX library though even without the card. PhysX and Havok are just 2 different solutions to the same problem. The difference is that Aegia offers hardware acceleration of its library as well.
PhysX is quite popular to use because theres no licensing fee attached to using it unless you want the source code (they're trying to encourage adoption of their hardware of course).
Sun 11/11/07 at 18:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Garin, just updated 'mi ode memory banks'. So MoH does require PhysX to run. Makes you wonder why so many new releases require so many different 'bits and bobs' to run and then require patching - is this rushed development, Vista or Directx 10 or both?
Mon 12/11/07 at 02:43
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
As far as PC games go its the price you pay for ever increasing complexity really. Its virtually impossible to test a PC game anymore to the point that you can say with certainty that it'll work on every hardware/software configuration and/or that every gameplay combination has been explored.

However I think its fair comment that the ability to patch games encourages some publishers to push games out the door a bit quicker than they should be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.