GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Colin McRae 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Colin McRae Rally 3'.
Sun 24/11/02 at 16:13
Regular
I'm interested in buying Colin McRae 3 and I would like to know what it is like. A brief overview and how it compares to the previous games and some of the others that are about at the moment. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Sun 24/11/02 at 16:13
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm interested in buying Colin McRae 3 and I would like to know what it is like. A brief overview and how it compares to the previous games and some of the others that are about at the moment. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Mon 25/11/02 at 11:34
"You love us!"
CM3 is an excellent Rally game. I've got V-Rally 3, WRC, SHOX and it's by far the best in terms of handling and car physics. Which is the most important thing for me. Visually, CM looks excellent, there is a bit of pop-up on some areas, but usually you concentrating on the track so hard, you don't notice it. When I first got CM 3 I literally played 3 whole seasons all the way through on the run, it really is that addictive.

However, there are a number of problems.

1. You can only play as Colin in the championship mode and this subsequently means you can *only* drive the Focus. For me this is simply a shocking oversight. Once I had played through the 3 seasons that make up the championship mode (basically the premise is you have a 3 year contract with Ford and have to win the WC in this time) in the Focus i was more that willing to start a second championship, but in a different car, as it would have been a different experience. Can't do it. Every time you play a championship, it's the Focus or nothing.

2. You can't play a 1-off rally like you could in CM2. You can play stages, and you can play all 6 stages of rally one after the other but you don't get the times carried forward. Basically, each stage is taken as in individual time challenge, once you've finished, your time is recorded and saved (if it's the fastest) and then you move onto the next. Very poor indeed.

You can't tune the cars when you race an individual stage. This means that every time you try and beat your best time, it'll always be with the default settings. Nothing you can do to squeeze a few more seconds out of the car.

Remember in CM2 how at a service point, you had to allocate the time you had to fix broken parts of the car? Well this has gone. Now when you reach a service stop, all of the repairs are handled by the pit crew. You just see an animated screen with them working on it. Big mistake this one. I always liked the fact that *you*, the player, had to decide what was a priority and what you needed fixing first in the short time limit. Poor for Codemasters.

To put it as simply as possible.

Handling, visuals, car physics and damage - CM3 is the daddy.
Game Options, tuning and championship mode - it's badly lacking.

If I were you I’d rent the game for a weekend first and see what you think. Chances are you'll easily complete the championship mode in a day or two (max) and once you've done this, it's simply a matter of whether you like the way the game handles and feels. If you do, you'll probably play through a 2nd championship (in the damn Focus) and also go through the stages trying to set new fastest times etc. If this is you, then it's worth buying as on this level, it has infinite replay value. Trying to better a time on your fave stage is cool, and I must admit I regularly fire up CM3 for a blast. However, if once you’re done the Championship mode, your the type of person that wants a new challenge (different car etc) then you'll get bored very quickly.

I really like the game; it's my fave rally game, although this may change when I get WRC 2 Extreme this week. However, I have also read a fair few posts from people who think the (very) limited championship mode and the sparse game options make CM3 a disappointment.

Rent it, or buy it from EB as they have a 10-day return policy, and see what you think.
Mon 25/11/02 at 12:13
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I agree with 99% of what Echelon says, the Service Area is the biggest disappointment.
CMR3 is still the best rally game in my opinion and I think it is much better than WRC II (having played the demo)
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:26
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Cheers for the info. I probably will rent it out first then.
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:29
Regular
"  "
WRC II kicks its... erm... you know. The handling in CM3 is just too slippy for my liking, youjust cant seem to get grip. Also the tracks seem to flat for rallying. WRC II is the opposite with grip were it should be and decent track bum things. In moi oppinion :D
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:31
Regular
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> should be and decent track bum things. In moi oppinion :D

I think he meant bump
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:31
Regular
"  "
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> WRC II kicks its... erm... you know. The handling in CM3 is just too
> slippy for my liking, youjust cant seem to get grip. Also the tracks
> seem to flat for rallying. WRC II is the opposite with grip were it
> should be and decent track BUMP things. In moi oppinion :D
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:32
Regular
"  "
ellisuk wrote:
> Nå†ßu© wrote:
> should be and decent track bum things. In moi oppinion :D
>
> I think he meant bump

Aye, I did mean just that :D
Mon 25/11/02 at 14:51
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Ah, but WRC II doesn't actually require use of the brake for anything but the tightest corners. It's just 'point and squirt' stuff, not realistic or challenging. I guess there's no perfect rally games out there.
Tue 26/11/02 at 13:27
"You love us!"
Hmmm, WRC2 still hasn't arrived. God damn airmail :-(

From what Nå†ßu© said, WRC2 could be a real challenger to CM3's crown.
Although, i must say, i played CM3 last night, started another championship in the Focus(!), and man the handling and graphics of the game is so good. Just wish wish wish the Codies hadn't cocked up everything else.

*sigh*

Oh well....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.