GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 16:53
Regular
Yesterday, I watched a program on games (unless you are an insomniac, as I, I doubt you saw it), it was mainly based around Playstation and Playstation 2 games. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go on about how biased they were, so keep reading.
In the program would be footage of The Bouncer, and Metal Gear Solid 2, so I felt inclined to watch, as everyone went on about how good the graphics were.

The Bouncer came on. The graphics were AMAZING, I couldn't believe how realistic it looked, the shadows, lighting and everything, excellent.

But there is a twist to the tale. I kept watching footage, beginning to really start looking at the graphics, thinking that they don't really need Anti Alising (whatever) to make it look good.
Then something happened.
Oh dear.
I've been fooled.
Then, The Bouncer started to look, well, less than adequate. Do you know why?
The "graphics" I was so amazed at earlier, was simply FMV, or Full Motion Video, as if you didn't know. The graphics on screen now, were of the game actually running. Although it was fast, the graphics were obviously flawed in several major aspects. I suppose it really does need anti alising after all.
Next, Metal Gear Solid 2.
Well, what can I say? It is a beautiful game, and a very realistic one at that.
BUT.
Solid Snake (you may see me as pedantic now...) looked cartoony. His outfit was just light grey. No crinkles, no darker areas or lighting. Just grey. Seeing how beautiful the world looked (all rather solid colours mind), I found this rather strange. After all, you would be looking at the character for the whole game.
I have to say though, that the animation was brillient, and when he hangs from pipes and stuff is superbly done.

Now to make a topic.

FMV. That really ticks me off. If you want to show the power of a system, show real game footage.
I was annoyed when Metroid was shown in FMV. But I suppose you can't expect miracles...
But all adverts for playstation only have FMV in them. Always. They even created special FMV for the Rayman 2 advert!
That really pieces me off.
So. What is everyones view on FMV? I personally hate it, and storys are always told better without it. (Look at Deus Ex and Half Life.) But who thinks it makes a game better, and more involving?
I don't.
Mon 23/10/00 at 15:51
I personally think that FMV's are just the icing on the cake. It simply makes the game's story or plot more movie-like. I agree that gameplay should come first but a game without FMV just wont ba satisfying.
Tue 03/10/00 at 18:30
Regular
Calm down with the biased thing. This forum is about the future of gaming or isn't it? Never mind they ask us for our opinion and being biased is part of it.
Tue 03/10/00 at 18:09
Regular
It doesn't have the power, nothing does. The graphics would have to be unbelievalbly crisp, and (I'M NOT BIASED!!!) the Playstation 2 does have the capabilitys, hypothetically, or realistically. However, I may have to eat my words (How do eat words?) when the X-Box comes out... (or Gamecube?)
Tue 03/10/00 at 18:02
Regular
Yeah i was saying it should be that kind of quality with the powerful machines.
Tue 03/10/00 at 17:59
Regular
Because we would be watching a movie, and not playing a game :)
Tue 03/10/00 at 17:55
Regular
I would like to follow on the FMV talk.
Why does it seem that the FMV looks better than the game itself! If the FMV looks better than the actual game in the next gen consoles what's the point of putting graphics in the game in the first place?
Tue 03/10/00 at 17:49
Regular
Thanks everyone!
(By the way Snoochie, did you make that "quote" up? I believe I never said Dreamcast rocks, as I would never use the word "rocks"... But I did say PS2 is a rip off, and I am sticking to that.)
Tue 03/10/00 at 10:52
FMV can be annoying as you lose control and it feels like a film, but in Final Fantasy 8, Square have incorporated FMV sequences with control so whilst an FMV is running you have control over the characters. Granted the control is limited to movement but it shows that steps are being taken in the right direction at least.
Tue 03/10/00 at 09:48
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
"PS2 is a rip-off" Well it is, isn't it? £300 for a console WITHOUT a memory card (£30). Realistically, you're looking at least £450 to get started with a PS2. And that's expensive IMHO.

Our US cousins are paying HALF of what we're paying, it's not on.

I don't understand the hype in all honesty, why not wait till the console drops in price and has a good few AAA titles under it's belt?

Bleeders
Tue 03/10/00 at 09:07
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Well done Grix! 'Bout bloomin' time too :)

The cut scenes in Shenmue are all rendered in real time too. Looks mighty fine as well!

Bleeders

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.