GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/10/00 at 16:53
Regular
Yesterday, I watched a program on games (unless you are an insomniac, as I, I doubt you saw it), it was mainly based around Playstation and Playstation 2 games. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go on about how biased they were, so keep reading.
In the program would be footage of The Bouncer, and Metal Gear Solid 2, so I felt inclined to watch, as everyone went on about how good the graphics were.

The Bouncer came on. The graphics were AMAZING, I couldn't believe how realistic it looked, the shadows, lighting and everything, excellent.

But there is a twist to the tale. I kept watching footage, beginning to really start looking at the graphics, thinking that they don't really need Anti Alising (whatever) to make it look good.
Then something happened.
Oh dear.
I've been fooled.
Then, The Bouncer started to look, well, less than adequate. Do you know why?
The "graphics" I was so amazed at earlier, was simply FMV, or Full Motion Video, as if you didn't know. The graphics on screen now, were of the game actually running. Although it was fast, the graphics were obviously flawed in several major aspects. I suppose it really does need anti alising after all.
Next, Metal Gear Solid 2.
Well, what can I say? It is a beautiful game, and a very realistic one at that.
BUT.
Solid Snake (you may see me as pedantic now...) looked cartoony. His outfit was just light grey. No crinkles, no darker areas or lighting. Just grey. Seeing how beautiful the world looked (all rather solid colours mind), I found this rather strange. After all, you would be looking at the character for the whole game.
I have to say though, that the animation was brillient, and when he hangs from pipes and stuff is superbly done.

Now to make a topic.

FMV. That really ticks me off. If you want to show the power of a system, show real game footage.
I was annoyed when Metroid was shown in FMV. But I suppose you can't expect miracles...
But all adverts for playstation only have FMV in them. Always. They even created special FMV for the Rayman 2 advert!
That really pieces me off.
So. What is everyones view on FMV? I personally hate it, and storys are always told better without it. (Look at Deus Ex and Half Life.) But who thinks it makes a game better, and more involving?
I don't.
Mon 02/10/00 at 16:53
Regular
Yesterday, I watched a program on games (unless you are an insomniac, as I, I doubt you saw it), it was mainly based around Playstation and Playstation 2 games. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go on about how biased they were, so keep reading.
In the program would be footage of The Bouncer, and Metal Gear Solid 2, so I felt inclined to watch, as everyone went on about how good the graphics were.

The Bouncer came on. The graphics were AMAZING, I couldn't believe how realistic it looked, the shadows, lighting and everything, excellent.

But there is a twist to the tale. I kept watching footage, beginning to really start looking at the graphics, thinking that they don't really need Anti Alising (whatever) to make it look good.
Then something happened.
Oh dear.
I've been fooled.
Then, The Bouncer started to look, well, less than adequate. Do you know why?
The "graphics" I was so amazed at earlier, was simply FMV, or Full Motion Video, as if you didn't know. The graphics on screen now, were of the game actually running. Although it was fast, the graphics were obviously flawed in several major aspects. I suppose it really does need anti alising after all.
Next, Metal Gear Solid 2.
Well, what can I say? It is a beautiful game, and a very realistic one at that.
BUT.
Solid Snake (you may see me as pedantic now...) looked cartoony. His outfit was just light grey. No crinkles, no darker areas or lighting. Just grey. Seeing how beautiful the world looked (all rather solid colours mind), I found this rather strange. After all, you would be looking at the character for the whole game.
I have to say though, that the animation was brillient, and when he hangs from pipes and stuff is superbly done.

Now to make a topic.

FMV. That really ticks me off. If you want to show the power of a system, show real game footage.
I was annoyed when Metroid was shown in FMV. But I suppose you can't expect miracles...
But all adverts for playstation only have FMV in them. Always. They even created special FMV for the Rayman 2 advert!
That really pieces me off.
So. What is everyones view on FMV? I personally hate it, and storys are always told better without it. (Look at Deus Ex and Half Life.) But who thinks it makes a game better, and more involving?
I don't.
Mon 02/10/00 at 19:01
Regular
Where in the heck is everyone?
Mon 02/10/00 at 19:39
I don't know, FMV is nice in some games and you can always show other people, who don't normally play games, your console playing FMV and watch their faces. Actually, thinking about it, FMV sometimes makes the game a more enjoyable experience overall, moving the storyline on and giving you a glimpse of what the programmers wanted the game characters to look like, instead of just blocky pixels. Maybe with the PS2, and other consoles with improved graphics, they might steer away from pre rendered scenes and be able to get similar quality from the in game graphics. Well, we can dream can't we?!
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:00
Regular
Good God! I won a game for this! I wasn't even trying!
Hurrah! Ta SR!
What shall I get?
But stay on subject...
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Get Final Fantasy 8, that's got 2 and a half hours of FMV for you to drool over. Congrats, Grix, about time.
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm playing Diablo II at the moment, that's pretty cool, or you could look at Torment, which is pretty advanced in the RPG department (loads of AC and HP stats. for example,) but with an alternative way of developing your character not seen before in other RPG's. MSR is highly rated on the DC by a lot of DC owners if you like racing games, or you could just get Pokemon Yellow for the GB and then buy a GB, you know you want to really.
Mon 02/10/00 at 20:49
Regular
Ta Fantasy! Many thanks.
Chose Zelda 2 now, and on the Pokemon thing, I will get a Pokemon game when I get the Advance. I think.
Mon 02/10/00 at 21:11
HEY GRIX!!!!
Ya deserve it man, after me you are the best unbiased guy in the whole corrupt system:)
Keep it up. Hey, I won two games for guffing the PS2!!!
But I wouldnt wait for it, mine has taken 11 days and still no sign, oh well
Mon 02/10/00 at 21:28
Regular
You're right, the system is corrupt and biased.
I walk into the Nintendo room and I see "PS2 Sucks" and "We all hate PS2 and Xbox". This is sad.
Then idiots come up with names like "Fony Greystation Poo"
Then some dimwitted playstion owner retaliates by saying that the likes of Tomorrow never dies and Area 51 are much better than "stoopid old goldeneye"
This has got to stop!
Mon 02/10/00 at 22:12
grix, you always slate ps2 but people in here have forgotten this.i quote"ps2 is a rip off,dreancast rules ok!!" You often have good ideas but inMY OPINION you are almost as biased as Tigerblade. No offence intended

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.