GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The cost of Memory Cards"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 11:26
Regular
Can anyone tell me why 8 megs of ram built in to a memory card costs £30???? You compare this to the price of memory on the pc, say £25 for 64 megs as quoted by special reserve and ask yourself why does it cost so much to fit a bit of ram in a plastic casing??? I've noticed that this is going to be the same for the xbox.
Fri 08/03/02 at 16:33
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I actually bought an official Sony PS2 memory card from a high street store two weeks ago fo 18.99. Just like the games you dont have to pay the high prices if you look around.

Official Sony PSX Card 1MB RRP 9.99
Official Sony PS2 Card 8MB RRP 24.99

Not bad value for money at all when you compare the two is it ? I know some of the games take up more space than PSX games but the amount of saves you can get on one card justifies the cost. How many of you had more than 1 psx card ? If you had Official cards then you would have spent the same sort of money..
Fri 08/03/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Wow, thanks for the overwelming responce, im gald to c im not the only one who feels the same way about this. I wonder is the expensive cost of memory cards the same outside of the UK? Or is it just because we sit back and take it in tbhsi country? I notice one of you saide there is nothing we can do about it, which is exactly why companies like sony make so much money out of the UK market.
Fri 08/03/02 at 10:59
Regular
"360: swfcman"
They are hardly going to give away a console are they. Its GAD and so they give games away, its there choice, there not going to change it, why would they?

Be gratefull that they do give games away...
Fri 08/03/02 at 00:21
well it not much effort changing GAD to MCAD. it would also be cool if you could claim stuff like control pads, adding up numerous Gad wins to claim a console.
Fri 08/03/02 at 00:13
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Because:

GAD = GAME a day.

The end.
Fri 08/03/02 at 00:07
why can't you just claim a memory card for GAD it'd make things much easier and sr might even save some money.
Fri 08/03/02 at 00:05
"High polygon count"
You still need a memory card if you want to take your saves elsewhere, though.

And I fail to see how 'not needing one' justifies a £50 price tag. SR have it listed at £29 - still more than the PS2 card. A Dreamcast memory card, at half the capacity, is half the price.

As has already been mentioned, you can get a hell of a lot on one card. I have 22 games, and all the saves are one card, with about 3Mb unused. Considering that the PS1 memory cards were launched at almost the same price and were only 128kb in size, it's okay in my book.
Thu 07/03/02 at 23:46
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
The xbox memory card is expensive, but that may be because u dont need one, just use the hard disk, someone was on teletext and tv the other day saying about how much using the xbox hard drive as aposed to ps2 style memory cards.

Sony cannot defend the price of the memory card, it is a rip
Thu 07/03/02 at 23:24
"High polygon count"
blimeyoreilly wrote:
> the price of sony ps2 memory cards is indefensible.

Check this one then...

http://www.xbox.com/uk/hardware/catalog.htm?category=memory
Thu 07/03/02 at 22:43
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
But theres nothing we can do about it. Sure its expensive, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

How annoyed would you be if you couldn't save games? Wouldn't you rather just pay £25?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.