GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The same game over and over..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/05/13 at 09:57
"possibly impossible"
COD. A name that strikes fear into anyone who hates First Person Shooters or incremental updates.

And yet, the Call of Duty franchise sells millions every year and fans lap up the new games.

It's the same with EA's sports titles, especially FIFA and Madden, with only slight graphical and control tweaks and new teams between updates.

So why do they sell so well and is it preventing original material from being made?

The argument goes that the money from these annual franchises can be ploughed back into the game studios to create new and exciting IPs, but with times growing tougher, will big publishers decide not to take a chance on the risk of a new IP and just follow suit with an update to their best selling games?

Indie gamers are, thankfully, doing pretty well with Steam's support and now Sony taking the banner from Microsoft on the console side of Indie game publishing. Even Nintendo is getting in on the act on 3DS and Wii U, providing yet another platform for Indie developers to get their game noticed.

But that danger still lurks and the recent Xbox One reveal only served to highlight the re-emergence of FIFA and COD on the next generation of consoles. Is it stifling other titles? Who can say, but as long as they keep selling...
Thu 30/05/13 at 09:57
"possibly impossible"
COD. A name that strikes fear into anyone who hates First Person Shooters or incremental updates.

And yet, the Call of Duty franchise sells millions every year and fans lap up the new games.

It's the same with EA's sports titles, especially FIFA and Madden, with only slight graphical and control tweaks and new teams between updates.

So why do they sell so well and is it preventing original material from being made?

The argument goes that the money from these annual franchises can be ploughed back into the game studios to create new and exciting IPs, but with times growing tougher, will big publishers decide not to take a chance on the risk of a new IP and just follow suit with an update to their best selling games?

Indie gamers are, thankfully, doing pretty well with Steam's support and now Sony taking the banner from Microsoft on the console side of Indie game publishing. Even Nintendo is getting in on the act on 3DS and Wii U, providing yet another platform for Indie developers to get their game noticed.

But that danger still lurks and the recent Xbox One reveal only served to highlight the re-emergence of FIFA and COD on the next generation of consoles. Is it stifling other titles? Who can say, but as long as they keep selling...
Thu 30/05/13 at 14:51
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Interesting..

Funnily enough, the one persistent complaint about Bioshock Infinite on the forums is "it's all different," and "It's not like the first one".

If I was a games developer, I really wouldn't know which way to turn.

As a gamer, "rinse and repeat" games strike me as just plain lazy, but faced with potential of wingeing morons complaining that things have changed, it must be very tempting to release "COD 55- Now with added hats!".
Thu 30/05/13 at 16:20
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
Interesting..

Funnily enough, the one persistent complaint about Bioshock Infinite on the forums is "it's all different," and "It's not like the first one".

If I was a games developer, I really wouldn't know which way to turn.

Yep, the last installments of both Gears Of War and Call Of Duty dared to be slightly different from their predecessors.....end result was that most fans of those series hated them!

Can also think of some great titles which tried to offer something a little different to norm....most of them sank without a trace (Bizzarre Creations Blur & People Can Fly's Bulletstorm are 2 which spring to mind).

Same s*** different cover, that's what most people seem to want every year.
Thu 30/05/13 at 17:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Same s*** different cover, that's what most people seem to want every year.

i.e. Battlefield series ;¬)
Thu 04/07/13 at 08:58
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Just looking through my games I tend to buy these sorts of "yearly" games every 3 years or so. At the minute I have Tiger Woods 2010, Pro Evo 6, FIFA 12, and WWE 2012, and find if I do it this way there are noticeable differences between the games that you wouldn't necessarily notice if you bought them every time a "new" version came out.
Sat 06/07/13 at 10:48
Regular
"How Ironic"
At the end of the day, if consumer's are that stupid, so be it. I just don't buy Call of Duty. There are plenty of under the radar gems out there.
Sat 06/07/13 at 15:29
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I just don't buy Call of Duty. There are plenty of under the radar gems out there.

While I agree in principle with what you are saying Chris, I do buy COD mainly because most of my mates buy it and we generally have fun. The fact that we are buying the same old crap year on year is irrelevant to a point. I have bought plenty of ''under the radar gems'' and within a month of them being out there is literally no one online playing them.
Sat 06/07/13 at 17:31
Regular
"How Ironic"
It's a never ending chain of people buying it because their mates buy it and because their mates buy it and because their mates buy it. There's got to be some clever cloggs who starts the chain off though, they're usually the stupid ones.
Sat 06/07/13 at 21:03
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
It's a never ending chain of people buying it because their mates buy it and because their mates buy it and because their mates buy it. There's got to be some clever cloggs who starts the chain off though, they're usually the stupid ones.

aka you
Sun 07/07/13 at 02:10
Regular
"How Ironic"
I fail to see how DL, perhaps you can elaborate?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.