GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Tue 18/06/13 at 12:21
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]I just want to know who's responsible for the designs of both consoles. They're both shockingly awful.

A 5-year old with a set of crayola could have produced something more appealing.

One area where the Wii U wins. then.

That. and concentrating on fun games.[/i]

SC has a point ... but anyway who needs "fun games"?
Where are all the seriously good games? On PC?
Or is console development just "fun games" like mobile phone "fun games"[/i]

Seriously good games is different to serious good games but doesn't exclude these.

Fun games is different to funny games or non-serious games but doesn't exclude these.

Serious/fun games are available on every platform, but the PS4/Xbox One seem to be concentrating on generic shooters and dark gritty looking games. There seems to be a lack of good bright coloured games that don't rely on realism to provide their backdrop.

The difference is in the type of game you like, with PCs concentrating more on the strategy style games, but not exclusively, Wii U concentrating on the less realistic side of things, but not exclusively.

Also, those who have cited 'over-rated exclusives', this is just a personal opinion which seems to be based on not having played any of them and games like The Last of Us are far from over-rated. Every platform has its exclusives and fans who enjoy those, there is no one platform that can boast every game.

So in an ideal world you either need all developers working on a single platform with a single unified hardware spec (otherwise you still run the risk of 'I can play X on my PC but you can't run X on your PC), or own every piece of hardware.

...or, in a realistic world, just own the piece of hardware that has the games you enjoy on it.

Simples.
Tue 18/06/13 at 09:05
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I just want to know who's responsible for the designs of both consoles. They're both shockingly awful.

A 5-year old with a set of crayola could have produced something more appealing.

The PS4 looks like a PS2 while Xbox One design reminds me of one of these

This looks miles better than either of them IMO.
Mon 17/06/13 at 23:01
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]I just want to know who's responsible for the designs of both consoles. They're both shockingly awful.

That. and concentrating on fun games.[/i]

SC has a point ... but anyway who needs "fun games"?
Where are all the seriously good games? On PC?
Or is console development just "fun games" like mobile phone "fun games"
Mon 17/06/13 at 22:16
"possibly impossible"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I just want to know who's responsible for the designs of both consoles. They're both shockingly awful.

That. and concentrating on fun games.
Mon 17/06/13 at 21:26
Regular
"How Ironic"

Mon 17/06/13 at 16:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
Yet more bad news for Microsoft.
Sat 15/06/13 at 16:15
Regular
Am I the only person thinking who cares? The PS3 and Xbox 360 were so similar last gen in terms of what they had to offer

The reaction of gamers online is similar to the events of 1984 when the Ministry of Peace declared they were now at war with Eastasia instead of Eurasia and always had been

I'm more worried about unimaginative development and yearly sequels than I am DRM. Especially when you can simply switch to a system with pretty much all the same games bar a few overhyped and overrated exclusives
Fri 14/06/13 at 17:41
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Machie wrote:
Looking at Amazon stores around the world. The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One. A lot of PS3/4 games are also in the top 20 ahead of Xbox games. I don't think Micro
On Play.com - PS4 - #4, XboxOne - #17

If Twitter on Monday night was anything to go by, some significant damage has been done. A lot of people were cancelling their Xbox pre-orders. On top of that, I saw a poll yesterday that put preference at 85%-15% in Sonys favour. I dont think it'll be that far apart but even if its 60%-40% that'll be very painful for Microsoft.

EDIT
PS4 pre-orders outnumbering Xbox by 3 to 2 in the US and by 4 to 1 in the rest of the world.
Fri 14/06/13 at 09:57
Regular
pb wrote:
Apparently you were right, Machie, the Xbox One is actually locked to your country, so you can't do anything if you import one as it has to connect to check.

With only 21 countries at launch, places like Japan, Poland and India miss out completely. I guess there is an alternative, then, if Microsoft don't want to sell Xboxes around the world.

Mini PCs are pretty popular for the very reason that they can sit, un-noticed in the lounge or by the TV. The only downside is that they're often not all that powerful or upgradable or even have Blu-ray.

I thought so, which is a real shame. I know a lot of them, just have to wait one more year, but it does make me worry that if I do buy an Xbox One, it will only allow me to buy Japanese games online. I love that the PS3 allows me to use both the UK and Japan stores, as long as I have a UK credit card.

Oh I know we could easily set up a small PC to go next to the family tv, but the majority of the public would have a hard time doing that. So a console is a good device for people like my brothers who want to get streaming services and casually play games.

Looking at Amazon stores around the world. The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One. A lot of PS3/4 games are also in the top 20 ahead of Xbox games. I don't think Microsoft were expecting this kind of reaction from gamers.

On Play.com - PS4 - #4, XboxOne - #17
Fri 14/06/13 at 08:01
"possibly impossible"
Apparently you were right, Machie, the Xbox One is actually locked to your country, so you can't do anything if you import one as it has to connect to check.

With only 21 countries at launch, places like Japan, Poland and India miss out completely. I guess there is an alternative, then, if Microsoft don't want to sell Xboxes around the world.

Mini PCs are pretty popular for the very reason that they can sit, un-noticed in the lounge or by the TV. The only downside is that they're often not all that powerful or upgradable or even have Blu-ray.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.