GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spam..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/04/13 at 07:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
Seems to be on the rise again for me, anyone else getting this?
Sat 18/07/15 at 18:11
Regular
getting trouble with this directory. (htdocs)
cant remove . need a help.

Viewing webspace for hindupriest.me.uk
Currently viewing the contents of the Root directory of your VIP webspace. You will need to upload all your files into this htdocs folder. You can use the buttons bellow to upload new files, create a new directory or go to a higher level or use the icons next to your files/folders to modify them.
Attention: Faled to delete the folder /htdocs.
Having problems? Call our Customer Support team on 0871 210 9977 for assistance.

Currently Viewing: root directory
File / Folder Last Modified Permissions Actions
cgi-bin 5-Feb-2009 rwxr-xr-x Rename | Delete
htdocs 18-Jul-2015 rwxr-xr-x Rename | Delete
x-default-scripts 17-Sep-2012 r-xr-xr-x Rename | Delete

thanks ,
dipak bhatt
[email protected]
Sun 12/07/15 at 22:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Haha pete ... nice one :¬)

To answer your question , yes 'spam' does seem to be on the increase yet again!

However, you do seem to be the recipient of the 'more' interesting varients, so please share their content with us ;¬)

My most recent, yesterday, was too short and far too explicit to post here ... too many 'f' words!

Whatever happened to the old heart tugging pleas for housing a family member from Outer Nowhere who just happened to be 14!?

It'll keep happening pete, so let's me and you keep our usual 'eye' open and then post the most 'interesting and entertaining' examples here :¬)
Sun 12/07/15 at 20:58
Regular
"I like turtles"
Getting more of this stuff coming through again, mainly ladies profiles (well they claim to be ladies anyway...).

Stuff like this...

'Announcements!!

Hi there.

I am looking for a fact male for found a family. My history relationships have been failed.
I Elenochka.
I i am from the Republic of Donetsk.

I am seeking for a Male.
NO BLACK MALE PLZ. Thanks dear.

I am very pleased to meet you
And what is your name really?
What do you think about meeting right lady right now?
Write to me here:

[email protected]

I have a laptop at hearth and home. No problem

i have some cute pictures to share.

My Portrait

www.don'teventhinkaboutclickingonthislink

Sincerely Elenochka.
Bye for now'

So gentlemen if you are in the market for a massive racist with appalling English skills then form an orderly queue...
Sat 06/06/15 at 09:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
This one I had the other day did make me smile though!

Hello,

Answer our guide you.

Obviously genuine, is it not ... it's from Yoda! ;¬)
Sat 06/06/15 at 00:38
Regular
"I like turtles"
You are of course correct DL but I'm sure I can't be the only person who has someone in their household who would click on a 'Free iTunes Voucher' or something if it popped up in an incoming mail regardless of what they had been told...

I appreciate that it's difficult for ISP's and the balance between filtering out this crap without losing legitimate mails can't be easy. At the moment though I'm concerned about this rise in virus-link attached mails as I've had quite a few of them recently.

This one I had the other day did make me smile though!

Hello,

Answer our guide you.
Fri 05/06/15 at 22:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?

Eccles I meant nothing at all 'by it'. It was a comment and an observation but also an acknowledgement of the hard work that ISPs have been under for the past few years to prevent 'spam'!

My comment also mentioned the age old rule ... if you don't recognise the sender and the email has an attachment, then delete it!

If that's not clear, then ... a person knows their email address/es and how they use them. If an email comes to an active address from a 'bank' and the user knows that that email isn't their 'bank address' ... then delete and don't open any attachment (out of curiosity).

Simples really.
Fri 05/06/15 at 21:11
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
DL wrote:
it's about time that ISPs thought long and hard about how they control the content 'passed' via email.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? There is no magic solution to successfully blocking all spam and ensuring all legitimate mail gets through 100% of the time. It's a fine balance between scanning all mail to a certain depth and investing in computing power. Our spam scanning tries to 'learn', looks for patterns, checks rbl's etc but this all affects how much mail can be processed and how fast it gets to it's destination. When spam is reported we try and work out a new rule that will block it but that can sometimes be tricky.
Watch this space though as we intend to introduce filtering that will allow Email Pro users to filter mail into folders on arrival, which does help free up the inbox and we're always on the lookout for other innovative spam scanning solutions.
Fri 05/06/15 at 20:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
In an 'ideal world' this wouldn't happen ;¬)

But as it's not an 'ideal world' and 'spam' has been around since Noah started his ship building business ... it's about time that ISPs thought long and hard about how they control the content 'passed' via email.

I've sent a lot of 'suspect invoice emails' to [email protected] over the last few weeks, which have been received on both Freedom and EmailPro accounts and yet they still arrive ... but not as often I admit!

But the old adage still exists for 'suspect emails' ... delete and DON'T OPEN the attachment.
Fri 05/06/15 at 18:25
"Are you sure?"
Mutleyracers wrote:
...Please, someone help!...
Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums.

There certainly seems to be a lot of spam around at the moment, but as you'll see in the recent posts in this thread it's not just Freeola customers that are getting hit.

I take it you are using EmailPro from your comments - is that correct?
I'm surprised your high spam setting hasn't improved things.
Remember with EmailPro you can also blacklist people which may help. EmailPro should stop the same spam from any device - mobile or PC so this sounds a bit strange.

This works well for me but others may also have solutions...

I use Gmail's 'mail fetcher' to pick up all my email but you could also just setup forwarding to a Gmail account.

I then have my phone set up to only notify me when I receive email via my Gmail account as most phone email clients don't have spam filtering like Outlook on a PC. This works for 99.999% of all spam! :¬) Gmail nails the lot - none of these recent 'invoice' spam message make it through!
You can set things up to still reply from your Freeola account so things look good to the outside world.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 05/06/15 at 17:27
Regular
Hi
I have my spam filter set on the highest level...I know it's not recommended, but I have done it out of desperation for the following reason - I still get at least 20 - 100 emails per day through to my phone email inbox that seem to escape the spam that my Freeola webmail account catches (which is about 350 a day).

Is this normal? It is really hampering my ability to run my business efficiently and I cannot have it carry on like this. No one seems to be able to help me, or know how to prevent these coming through. I have my email set up as IMAP and they go into spam on my computer Outlook, but not on my phone, and I mainly use my phone for email as I am out and about with my job.

Please, someone help! Is it a setting on my phone? It's a Samsung Galaxy note. I am desperate!

Many thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.