GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A matter of perspective"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/13 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
There are many things we do each day which we don't even think about, but which might look strange to someone who isn't used to our culture.

Making a cup of tea, for instance, is really sticking a bunch of dead leaves in hot water. It's only a very slightly refined version of something we've been doing for thousands of years.

We can be skewed by our own perspective; eating a cow but not a horse. Finding ways to make money and yet baulking at those who may do it on a larger scale through the use of tax schemes in other countries. Even standing up to pee.

Think about your life and the things you take for granted, then try to see it through alien eyes, what would you consider strange?
Tue 29/01/13 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
There are many things we do each day which we don't even think about, but which might look strange to someone who isn't used to our culture.

Making a cup of tea, for instance, is really sticking a bunch of dead leaves in hot water. It's only a very slightly refined version of something we've been doing for thousands of years.

We can be skewed by our own perspective; eating a cow but not a horse. Finding ways to make money and yet baulking at those who may do it on a larger scale through the use of tax schemes in other countries. Even standing up to pee.

Think about your life and the things you take for granted, then try to see it through alien eyes, what would you consider strange?
Tue 29/01/13 at 19:22
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Interesting topic, I tend to think of these things all the time & quickly forget them.
Money is the big one for me though & the way it has become warped. It has no real value in itself, its merely a system of credit but I believe it has been prized above its purpose, probably through fear & insecurity. Ive long since stopped looking at things in terms of their monetary value & more in terms of the time & effort it would require to pay for them. For example, is a £2000 car worth the 300+ hours (not even considering tax) to pay for it? I think Id rather have the free time instead.
Tue 29/01/13 at 19:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Certainly an interesting topic but as Nin says one that tends to get forgotten straight away and that 'money' is the big one! Or should we call it 'tokens' as that is all that it is ... something exchanged for something else, except it has been given an unimaginable high value status.
Around here, we tend to 'swop' tasks ... i.e. I know someone who will fix my roof, he knows that I will sort out his PC problems ... job done, roof fixed, PC fixed ... no tokens exchange hands :¬)
Considering that the majority, if not all of the world's population, do share at least one common function, then it's for an alien to figure it out and not for us to 'give them pointers in the right direction' :¬)
Tue 29/01/13 at 19:59
Regular
"Monochromatic"
DL wrote:
Around here, we tend to 'swop' tasks ... i.e. I know someone who will fix my roof, he knows that I will sort out his PC problems ... job done, roof fixed, PC fixed ... no tokens exchange hands :¬)

Such a better way of doing things when you consider how much money/time it would cost you in comparison to the few hours it'd take to fix the pc. I swear Im going to end up living in a commune one day.
Tue 29/01/13 at 22:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A 'commune' can be created within your 'living area' ... it's called a 'neighbourhood' ... and within the 'neighbourhood' we talk to our neighbours and we share experiences and tasks and skills and we then can exchange the skills...that's what we do here on Earth* ;¬)

*Just in case there are any confused 'aliens' out there
Tue 29/01/13 at 23:03
"possibly impossible"
We're all aliens somewhere.

Money is a good one, yes. Especially when people get so annoyed by who runs it, owns it and where it comes from. Not to mention the so-called power it gives.

Another thing; we tell children not to lie but do it to them as an act of kindness at certain times of the year.
Tue 29/01/13 at 23:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Tell them the truth*... if you dare ;¬)

*this is called 'being condescending' for any passing aliens
Tue 29/01/13 at 23:32
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kids are only kids for as long as theyre protected from harsher realities. The truth is an idealised idea for the world you want to project to them. Lying to kids and telling them to be truthful might be the only time it's ok to being a hypocrite, Id rather be a hypocrite than the parent of an unhappy child.
Wed 30/01/13 at 00:39
"possibly impossible"
Oh, I agree. It's just looking at it from a different perspective again.

Plus 'truth', in general, is rarely universal.
Wed 30/01/13 at 17:25
Regular
"I like turtles"
I would say other lifeforms would probably struggle to understand:

Those loons who chase a big of cheese down a hill every year.

People who adhere to ''Warning Showdogs In Transit'' signs displayed on the back window of cars.

Why anybody who has ever had to the misfortune to have to deal with Apple customer service still continues to religiously purchase their products.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.