GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite things from your childhood"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/08/12 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
More of a general reminiscing topic than something more structured.

What do you remember fondly about your childhood? What do you miss that might not be around any more? Maybe there's something you don't miss and you're glad that you don't have to have or do any more?

For me, as with many people, I think I end up looking at the past through rose tinted specs. I always think that the cartoons we had in our day were better than most of the stuff on TV, for instance.

I miss gentle stuff like Bagpuss , weird, way out programmes like the Singing Ringing Tree and stuff that wasn't afraid to scare kids like early Dramarama and even the kids educational TV like The Boy From Space (first shown in Black and White then remade in colour in the 80s)

I remember having 10p and being able to get 20 half penny sweets, with some amazing stuff to choose from, including cubes of sherbet with dice designs on.

Riding in the boot of a car with no seatbelts and no safety concerns. It meant having a party of 10 children to take to the park was easy if you had a hatchback,

Some great beer and cigarette commercials too. They always seemed to have the best PR people with interesting ideas for adverts.

Free stuff inside cereal packets. You don't see that these days, probably health and safety with choking. But we used to get cards for films, I still have some Star Trek ones from the first film, as well as tons of PG Tips cards full of interesting facts (the underwater and mystery ones were the best).

So what makes you long for the old days?
Wed 22/08/12 at 17:27
Regular
"How Ironic"
I think after all these extraordinary claims, a competition is a must for both you and Warhunt.

I used to play CTR, but to nowhere near the same level of competitiveness!
Wed 22/08/12 at 17:01
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I know that the shortcuts where the time boxes for the relics are legit shortcuts and they usually require a certain amount of skill to pull off and, of course, Oxide takes them.

It's the shortcuts where you are dropping down off a higher section to a lower section somehow avoiding a track reset and cutting like 10-20 seconds of track. Shortcuts where you are avoiding a system in place designed to stop you doing that. They are the ones I don't approve of.

I'd have to get back to playing CTR again and see if I can at least reach my old level again before I even agree to a competition. :D
Wed 22/08/12 at 16:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Grandprix wrote:
I did look at some shortcut videos on Youtube for CTR. I'm not a fan of avoiding off track resets and skipping a fair amount of track. That's not what I see as legitimate shortcuts and goes against the spirit of time trialling.

Not an option. On CTR you are actually required to do the shortcuts during the time-trials. Because of collecting the boxes etc.

If you found some 'cheating' shortcuts then fair play, but it wasn't what I meant. Think the 'overpass' on Roos Tubes, or the 'Shoot the mouth' shortcut on the ruins level, the 'water jump' from level 1 etc.

Also, I'd watch the CTR on stream. Get me mate over and have a compo live :)
Wed 22/08/12 at 16:13
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Yeah, I think the only games I've played more than once to completion are Sonic games. Probably one or 2 others but I just don't have the inclination to go back to a lot of stuff to finish it again at least. I suppose it's something I can use my livestream for.

I did look at some shortcut videos on Youtube for CTR. I'm not a fan of avoiding off track resets and skipping a fair amount of track. That's not what I see as legitimate shortcuts and goes against the spirit of time trialling.
Wed 22/08/12 at 15:55
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Was roughly 2000 so it may not still be up. Was something like ctr-champions though if you want to look.

I normally only play a game through once, but there are quite a few that have held my interest far beyond the first play through.

FF's
Legend of Dragoon
Breath of Fire's
CTR. It's just a special game.
Wed 22/08/12 at 14:19
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Nice, once is usually enough for me when I play games as I have so many. I would love to give it another shot and try to get back into the swing of things again. I'll have to find that time trial site and see how my times from years ago stack up.
Wed 22/08/12 at 11:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I can be I guess. But this is CTR. It's different :)
Wed 22/08/12 at 11:38
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Warhunt wrote:
[i]Grandprix wrote:
I'm guessing you beat all the Oxide time trials and got every single Platinum relic on Crash Team Racing then? I should still have the save file to prove I did it.

Without a shadow of a lie, me and my mate get together a few times every year to do this. Every. Year. Since it came out. Infact the game was so important to my youth I refuse to play any Mario Kart game with any real 'zest' because of the loyalty.

Knowing all the shortcuts and character perks means it can be done in a day or so now. Some of the tracks have been 'one-shots' for a few years now. Roo's Tubes? Pfff please... since nailing the shortcut it's hardly even a challenge.

The last time we did the 'plat run' was just slightly over 4 months ago, when my mrs was away for the weekend. We also completed a Final Fantasy 9 speed run too. Like 'bauses', cool non-nerd bauses.

Anyway getting a bit sidetracked, but I've not been on to defend these weak claims.

EDIT: Also forgot that one of out time's was listed on the UK records page for a few months until it was beaten. Think it was UK 2nd or something. Fan based site, but still....[/i]

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

You are the most competitive person I know.
Wed 22/08/12 at 09:37
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Grandprix wrote:
I'm guessing you beat all the Oxide time trials and got every single Platinum relic on Crash Team Racing then? I should still have the save file to prove I did it.

Without a shadow of a lie, me and my mate get together a few times every year to do this. Every. Year. Since it came out. Infact the game was so important to my youth I refuse to play any Mario Kart game with any real 'zest' because of the loyalty.

Knowing all the shortcuts and character perks means it can be done in a day or so now. Some of the tracks have been 'one-shots' for a few years now. Roo's Tubes? Pfff please... since nailing the shortcut it's hardly even a challenge.

The last time we did the 'plat run' was just slightly over 4 months ago, when my mrs was away for the weekend. We also completed a Final Fantasy 9 speed run too. Like 'bauses', cool non-nerd bauses.

Anyway getting a bit sidetracked, but I've not been on to defend these weak claims.

EDIT: Also forgot that one of out time's was listed on the UK records page for a few months until it was beaten. Think it was UK 2nd or something. Fan based site, but still....
Tue 21/08/12 at 16:47
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
Mine was the top one here

Notice that in 3 decades BMX bikes have not really evolved that much at all. That bike doesn't look all that much different from those available today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.