GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-box: - my first impressions (after split second judgement)..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/02 at 15:04
Regular
Finally 3 weeks before the release of the evil incarnate, X-branded, oversized radiator, Microsoft have unleashed demo units in several Electronics Boutique stores, supposedly showing off what the "X-box" (or box with x carved into it) is actually capable of, and to that end it would seem it is capable of not a lot.

Firstly, I thought it looked big in pictures inside magazines but when I saw one in the flesh (or plastic rather) I thought to myself "oh my god it's the size of nearly 3 Dreamcasts!" well, more to the point I thought it looked like a poorly designed radiator but the fact remains that it is a huge hunk of crud with an X carved into it nonetheless.

Secondly, The controller, hmmm where do I start? I picked it up and I was utterly confused it was a very poor fusion of a dreamcast, Ps2 and gamecube controller all rolled into an oversized plastic shell, it has to be the worst controller for a console ever designed (even the Atari Jaguars controller looks comfortable compared to it!) it seems to live by the it's own philosophy of "so many buttons yet so little functions", in many of the control layouts in the games about half of the buttons seemed to perform the same action making the whole prospect of pushing a button to find out what it does completley lifeless and uninspiring.

Right! thats the basic moaning about the system over and done with (apart from the crippling price that is) now onto the games, firstly the demo disc boasted about 12 demo's half of which were only 30 second trailers, much to my bemusement Halo was not playable! yes Halo the game that Microsoft and everyone who's played it on Import has been hyping to the extreme for the past couple of months or so was nothing more than a Non-interactive trailer! So I thought to my self right, Halo's not playable so nothing else is going to be even playable, and guess what? I was right (well mostly).

out of all the games on the disc only one was half decent in my opinion, the utterly rubbish games on display were Fusion Frenzy which basically had you "juming over sticks" which I found highly dull and uninteresting, Project Gotham racing, in which the cars handled like ice-cream trucks! and Blood wake, which was original if original means that it is also totaly lifeless!

The one decent game which stood out from the rest was Amped, the snowboarding game which was highly reminicent of 1080% and was suprisingly just as good and had me coming back earlier today to play it again for about 40 minutes! (which even I was quite suprised about!) so even though the X-box has about two good things going for it (Halo and Amped) I would have to say that overall it is all overhyped and overated cack, a harsh comment you say? i really don't think so, anyway roll on May 3rd then we will see "who's the daddy of the consoles!"

Thanks for reading!
slik ~_~
Sat 23/02/02 at 09:40
Regular
"DS..."
Hope EB change the disc soon so that I can actually play the hyped up FPS/TPS so that I can judge if it's actually any good! still X-box is still nothing special compared to gamecube, did anyone see thumb bandits last night Rouge Leader looked amazing in full in-game footage! I will definatley be getting it now!
slik ~_~
Fri 22/02/02 at 20:00
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Shops near me have finally got some xbox pods. And four of them! 1 in EB, 1 in Game, 1 in Virgin, and 1 in dixons, all in one shopping centre!

This is great because it means the pods are never busy so I can walk up to one and play it for as long as I like without waiting, or having a huge line form behind me!
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
$lik wrote:
> DrDragon wrote:
> Grix, if you want to play Halo, got to HMV Oxford street
> (if you live in
> London). They have the full game there. I played it, and
> it was good. Otherwise,
> fing a friend who's getting it/ has got
> it.

Damn! I live in Cornwall! trust Microsoft not to give Cornwall a second
> thought Grrr! is there anyone else who lives in Cornwall who is slightly annoyed
> about this?... *deadly silence* no? double damn! i'm in a minority part of
> britain and I'm a minority within a minority! oh well...
slik ~_~

There are probably X-Box pods in some of the shops near you. Near where I live there are 3 pods in shops. 1 in HMV, 1 in Virgin and 1 in EB. They all have the demo disc in. I know someone who works part time in Virgin and said they had full games up stairs, but not on any X-Box. I think its up to the shop owners what games to put on the X-Box pods. Also its up to the shop compaines like EB to say where there X-Box pods go. There not going to supply a very small shop with one if they only have a limited number. Its normally the biggest shops like in London and other big cities that get them. So dont blame Mircosoft :)
Fri 22/02/02 at 18:11
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
$lik wrote:
> DrDragon wrote:
> Grix, if you want to play Halo, got to HMV Oxford street
> (if you live in
> London). They have the full game there. I played it, and
> it was good. Otherwise,
> fing a friend who's getting it/ has got
> it.

Damn! I live in Cornwall! trust Microsoft not to give Cornwall a second
> thought Grrr! is there anyone else who lives in Cornwall who is slightly annoyed
> about this?... *deadly silence* no? double damn! i'm in a minority part of
> britain and I'm a minority within a minority! oh well...
slik ~_~

i live in brixham (devon) , if you wanna play one just come up to plymouth , it'll only take you about an hour , then go to toysrus or game and play one in there.
Fri 22/02/02 at 15:13
Regular
£300 for not bad?
Fri 22/02/02 at 14:49
"High polygon count"
I played an Xbox in Tesco's at lunch time.

It was running Amped.

Impressions? The console is HUGE! At least twice the size of a PS2... if I bought one, I'd probably have to stand my PS2 on top of it.

Controllers... not as big as they looked in the photos, but still strange. I was right (in my opinion) about the offset analogue sticks... they just plain feel weird, and the controller seems off-balance using them. Also, not as comfy to hold as the Dual Shock 2, and too 'flat' - easily dropeed if you get sweaty palms, I'd imagine.

The game... looked nice, a little better than SSX, but harder to control. Didn't seem as fast, either - the trip downhill seemed rather lethargic.

I would have liked to have tried Halo, but it wasn't to be.

Over-all... not bad. I'll probably get one, but it didn't have me jumping up and down like a kid demanding "I want one now!"
Fri 22/02/02 at 14:46
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I've played an XBOX and to be honest I dont think the GC has really got much competition now that every gamer already has a PS2. So as the writer said, roll on May 3rd! (Lets Be hoping i have £164.99!) :)
Fri 22/02/02 at 14:42
Regular
"I confused?"
I've played both console and the GC is the best.
Fri 22/02/02 at 14:39
If entombed can prove to me that the SNES can handle Zelda's cell shaded graphics then bring it back on the market quick! Please prove it!

As for the games being Kiddy that is just the opinion of people that like gaming, but are scared to be seen as uncool.

As for the nintendo launch boasting no unique titles, lets look at the 10 american and japanese games that I own shall we?

A Jet Ski Racer, A Space Shooter, A Suck 'Em Up, A God Sim, An Eat and Get Sex game, An Extreme Skateboarder, A football game, A Real Time Strategy Plant Life Game, A Multiplayer Platform Fighter, A 3D puzzle and Multiplayer Game.

All 10 of my games and due to arrive games are completely diufferent to one another. I have never owned such a varied selection of games in my life!
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:23
Regular
"DS..."
I think amped is losing it's effect on me as I can't be bothered to go and play it again, still i guess it's a half-decent game at least, but it'll probably look outdated in a year or so just like 1080% did in my opinion, speaking of which I can't wait for 1080% 2 even though it won't be around for a while yet...
slik ~_~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.