GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy XI - Missing Something?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/02/02 at 10:43
Regular
I've read a lot of reviews of Final Fantasy XI, Square's first attempt at bringing the FF series online. There's always two things that jump out at you from these reviews:

Firstly: Cynical journalists are usually of the opinion that we just won't see Final Fantasy XI in Europe because Sony is dithering too much about releasing its Online Service. By the time gamers in the UK are all connected together via hi-speed cable they'll be using PS3s to play online.

Secondly: What IS the point? In every other Final Fantasy game there has been a quest, a purpose to all that levelling up, a reason for acquiring new weapons and magics. Because towards the end of the game there would be closure to the storyline and a massive boss fight. Then you'd get the credits. MMORPGs work slightly differently. You have the levelling up, the acquiring of new weapons and magics, but then what?

Unless there's a main quest thread in a game to follow through to the end there can be no ending, and like all other MMORPGs you get to the stage where eventually all you are doing is levelling up for the sake of it. The monsters all get easier to beat, you've got every rare item under the sun, you've seen all there is to see, and essentially all you have left is a glorified chatroom with graphics.

Then you've got the problem of server overload where 2000 players on the same server at one time (FFXI is said to be able to handle much more than this) creates the dreaded lag, not to mention the fact that everytime you go out to kill something to level up there's another group just ahead of you killing it before you get there.

PSW showed online footage from the Japanese beta test of FFXI on its demo disc this issue, sure enough it looks beautiful (if a little drab in places), but imagine logging in to play each day with the realisation that you've already seen all this? After a while, like many other MMORPGs, you end up standing in the middle of town chatting to your mates about the time you defeated the WoomlyGrub bare handed and what you did at the weekend whilst you eye up the local Mithraa talent and try to pull.

When it comes to online play for the PS2 I think football, racing, shoot 'em ups and beat 'em ups will rule the online genres, because you can compete and defeat. MMORPGs still have a bit of thinking to do before they can really come of age. I think Square jumped the gun a little bit.
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:57
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I fear that the first online FF game is going to ultimately be a flop. Now i know this is a huge judgement to make even before ive played it, but the odds are heavily stacked against them. Currently only Japan is definetly definitely going to get the modem and hard drive. So if only Japan gets it, its failed already (i assume). Secondly, the costs of it all are going to spiral. Assuming that you have a ps2. Modem cost around £100. Hard drive costs £100. Game costs £45. And the PlayOnline monthly fee say £5 (at best). Add this together and it costs £250 to set-up. And by then we could probably by a GC with a hard drive or an Xbox with a modem for that! The PlayOnline fee apparently, though, are waived if you use a FFXI credit card (visa and mastercard) although the idea of getting a credit card for cheaper onloine gaming is slightly dim to say the least.

There shall be those who disagree. And I apologise if this statement is wrong. But thats my perspective. And in time to come someone probably will convince me to buy it, as i am a huge FF fan. But honestly, is it worth it???
Thu 21/02/02 at 17:27
G1NGER.NET wrote:
> Like you say, I think racing and sport games will be excellent online but RPG's
> are more you and your brain against the game, not against other humans. I think
> Square just wanted to be the first but are too far ahead of themselves. Then
> again what game other than FF has 9 sequels ?, perhaps it is time for a new
> angle ?

This does give them a new angle but I just don't see it being as fun as the old FF's. Sure it would be fun if they could get it to work out but like FantasyMeister said it would be hard for them to set it all up right.

It might help Square to talk to the makers of Phantasy Star Online and maybe get some help on their new FF. I just fear that this idea might end up like the movie.
Thu 21/02/02 at 10:44
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Like you say, I think racing and sport games will be excellent online but RPG's are more you and your brain against the game, not against other humans. I think Square just wanted to be the first but are too far ahead of themselves. Then again what game other than FF has 9 sequels ?, perhaps it is time for a new angle ?
Thu 21/02/02 at 10:30
Regular
"360: swfcman"
22 Players online with Pro Evo eh, hmm, that would be fun but maybe a bit hectic and hard to keep track on your player. Fun none the less.
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Things that would make me believe in Sony's Online Gaming vision:

Gran Turismo 4 online, with up to 6 online players on the same track at the same time racing each other, including qualifying etc.

F1 online, same thing. Harder to do with a full pack of 22-24 F1 cars, but possible nonetheless.

Pro Evo online, up to 22 players at one time.

Virtua Fighter 5 online. Developed by Sega who've had experience with online gaming via the Dreamcast, there's no reason why they couldn't get around to giving this beat 'em up the broadband treatment.

There's countless more examples, but at the end of it all they all have one thing in common. There's a winner. Cooperative online RPGs just don't lend themselves to that statement. Even Phantasy Star Online, in which there IS an actual overall quest, is now mainly about stealing the best weapons out there and levelling up to get to the highest ranking on the server. You could even say the same about the Diablo series, unless you include the player killing.

But where there's player killing, there's newbie bashing, and the FF series just doesn't seem the right genre for that kind of gameplay.
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:20
Regular
"You Bum!!"
This is why online gaming may not prove as popular as many will think...

I think that Square need to think this thorugh. They cant simply have online FF games from now on. They need to go back to the roots I reckon. I do hope FFXI will be a good game, which will be fun to play and stuff but we all know that only a number of us will probably get to play the game. Sony need to do something that will make people believe in their online capabilities....
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FFXI does have quests, just not an overall quest. Normally, you can go just solo with say an Elvaan character, but for the tougher monsters you can form a more balanced party of up to 6 people, and for the real bosses you can group with two other parties to make a total of 18 characters to attack one monster.

The trouble is, say you get 18 of you. You have to agree a time to all meet up to start the quest (differing timezones make this difficult enough with 2 people, let alone 18).

Then you've got the fact that every 5 minutes someone's phone will ring, a door will knock, there'll be the odd powercut, their dog will want out, their cat will hit the reset button on the PS2 with its paw, and the call of nature will strike just as your chief healer is most needed.

Hence in many MMORPGs there's a lot of standing around and waiting.

You don't really get this in offline FF games, because you can just hit the pause button. There's no pausing online, you just have to stand there and hope nothing nasty starts to bite your ankles.
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:07
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ye that would be excellent but online gaming is still a long way off.. APparently though Sony have decided to bring it to Europe first. Thats a change....Japs and Yan....Berseker and his countrymates always get stuff before us....:)
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:03
Regular
"360: swfcman"
That would be good, just depends if i can afford the modem and stuff.
Thu 21/02/02 at 00:00
I have heard that there is going to be a quest and that you could have people join your crew to help you complete your quest. If that is true maybe we should start a SR Team. Sure I could get it ready here in the U.S., then when you all get it you could join in the quest. HMMM?

Now if they do FFXI like that then it won't be that bad but I fear that this online deal just isn't up FF's alley.

Tell me what you think about starting a team up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.