GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memories of a Gamer"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/12 at 22:30
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I’ve been a gamer since I can remember. My father brought me up well through the earlier consoles before I made it up to what was the current generation. So throughout my life I’ve put a lot of hours into a lot of games. During these times, there have been the things that have stuck in my memory: accomplishments, failures or just those moments that make you think - whether through the medium itself, or through those who were with you at that moment.

During a recent struggle with sleep in which I was so obviously losing, I laid awake and, with an obviously overactive mind, rummaged through the memories of a childhood (and teenagehood, and early adulthood) lost in virtual worlds. I found myself oddly curious with how vivid some of the recollections were, although in some cases sceptical about the fine detail that seemed unrealistic in its inclusion.

I remembered some of my first console moments - playing games based on simple mathematic puzzles through a cassette player on a console of which I’m unsure. I remember my favourite game as a child - Jinx, for the Atari 7800, a game which I taught myself how to play the music for on my keyboard that I had at the time (a tune that could be played simply on the black keys - it took me hours to figure out, and thinking back it may have been a poor rendition).

I remember the SEGA Megadrive, of which I owned two simultaneously. Both obtained from car boot sales, they rarely worked together, with one dying as the other was resuscitated. The constant failures of myself attempting to get through the damn ostrich level in The Lion King. Nights spent playing Columns with my grandmother, the only game we ever played together. Watching my dad play Sonic the Hedgehog and retreating from the room (and down the stairs) when the first spiked section appeared in Green Hill Zone. Turns out Dr. Robotnik and water in the Sonic games also had a similar effect on me, I was scared of the death and drowning sounds.

Going to Toys ‘R’ Us to pick up a game for my Game Boy and picking up a PlayStation bundle instead (awesome). The collective “wow” of my family as we started up the first game on the console - PGA Tour 98 - the graphic capabilities were immense, for the time. Back here was when my dad still played himself, we completed our first game together, Jersey Devil, up to 100%. Playing Circuit Breakers with both my parents, using a multitap (don’t miss those at all) in the only video game I’ve ever played with my mother (that wasn’t dancing, EyeToy or the like).

Dancing Stage games have been a part of my gaming “career” for a long time. I had seen them before; a teenage guy used his quick feet to hit the arrows with accuracy and style, doing so much to allure a crowd of several girls. I wanted to be that guy. On the 18th August 2001, I finally plucked up the courage to jump on a (deserted) machine. Suddenly a large crowd appeared, but I was no longer (as) nervous, I was already up there.

Anyway, enough about my memories, I have more but I’ll share them later, if they become more relevant in conversation. It’s time to open up the floor. Do you have gaming memories, or has it never been much more than a distraction to you? I think it’d be interesting to find out what sticks with us, especially that from yesteryear.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 21/07/12 at 15:24
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i] ... And was it "Golden Axe" or something similar?..

Anyway, we wore the controllers out eventually,

Not surprised ...

Golden Axe

First played this classic on my first born's Master System ... (notice, I said his, even though I bought it haha! He did love it though, especially Alex the Kidd and Jungle/Nuclear Strike).[/i]

Yup, my boy loved the Nintendo systems, even when his little hands were too tiny to play properly. Many times I was hurriedly passed a controller and told to "Jump daddy!"

By the time we had the SNES though, he was old enough to do it all himself. Inevitably, we ended up playing two player on Mario, and much to his delight, he was better at it than I was!

He's now six foot tall and owns a motorbike... How things have changed!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.