GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop Advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/12 at 21:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old trusty Toshiba Satellite has finally given up the ghost so I'm looking for a reasonable budget (ish) laptop. Not needed to play games but I do watch HD video on it. Found this which looks alright for the money. Anyone know of any better options out there or suggestions on manufacturers that I should perhaps consider or avoid like the plague? As I'm not playing games presume that I don't really need one with a dedicated graphics card or do I? Be grateful of any help, cheers.
Fri 15/06/12 at 17:46
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I almost suggested that Acer already but at that price I thought it a bit pointless. I think my only question would be, were the i7 machines you tested comparable to that Acer? CPU isnt always the defining factor in performance especially where laptops are concerned.

Anyway, I've never had too many complaints about the Acer laptops we've had here. Heat is sometimes a problem. And they are usually bulky and inelegant but they work. :)
Fri 15/06/12 at 21:07
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
I almost suggested that Acer already but at that price I thought it a bit pointless. I think my only question would be, were the i7 machines you tested comparable to that Acer? CPU isnt always the defining factor in performance especially where laptops are concerned.

Anyway, I've never had too many complaints about the Acer laptops we've had here. Heat is sometimes a problem. And they are usually bulky and inelegant but they work. :)

I would say the couple of i7 machines that I tried were of similar spec (same processor but one had 6GB RAM the other 8GB, same OS) and I found the difference in performance quite noticeable from the lesser priced machines I had been considering. The £130 ish increase in my budget seems to be well worth it in this case. Will probably have to let the Mrs. get some new shoes or something now though! Bulky and inelegant but functional is fine BTW :)

Thanks again for all the kind help guys, really appreciated.

@Hmmm a couple of my friends have used this company and were very happy with them (as well as their eBay site). Their prices generally seem to be around the best in the UK at the moment. For example the machine I'm buying is £140 dearer on the likes of ebuyer.com

Build quality wise I did like the HP G6 you mentioned, in the end I just decided to go for something with a bit more power.
Fri 15/06/12 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Of all the laptops I've been asked to 'repair' Acer have been the worst. One success out of five ... the other four? ... returned to Acer and refunded.
Sat 16/06/12 at 20:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Of all the laptops I've been asked to 'repair' Acer have been the worst. One success out of five ... the other four? ... returned to Acer and refunded.

Apparently if you register a new machine with Acer you can increase the manufacturers warranty to 3 years for around £50. I was actually considering doing that, after reading that comment think I will go with that option.

My old Toshiba Satellite could have been repaired it just wasn't really economical to do it. Flogging off a few bits from it should get me around £40 which it looks like I'll be putting towards an extended Acer warranty!

Still reckon that machine was the best option for my money, if it dies I'll just send the thing back to them.
Thu 21/06/12 at 22:09
Regular
"I like turtles"
Well impressed with the i7 Acer 5755, it's a very fast machine. Longest job I've had on it so far is deleting all the mountains of bloatware Acer seem to have loaded on it. It's £62 to extend the manufacturers warranty to 3 years so I'm going to go with that. But overall, I'm very pleased with it. Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Just got to pay for it now! :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.